Expected Area results now

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Nanny Ogg, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Based on recent competition results. Where do people realistically think their band will finish in the areas?

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ooooohh!! Difficult one, how do you predict this without sounding either melodramatic or insultingly over confident??

We came 4th last year and we have improved no end since then, picking up a 2nd at Pogson Bray, 13th overall at Brighouse march Contest and 1st at Malton, so we'll be really gutted if we're not in the top three.

(Yorkshire 4th section)

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

No doubt where we will finish........In the Bar!!!!!

However no idea where we will be placed in the contest. We had a 3rd at the area last year (L & SC 2nd section) and a 1st at Leicester in the autumn. Who can really judge when we are playing Images of the Millenium!

4. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I think that most bands,if they are honest would like to be in the top three.But ultimately we all want to come first.Judging the bands performance on past results,goes out the window at the area's.To me it is a lottery.It just depends how well you play on the day.Some bands peak too early and have a disaster on the day,others peak at just the right time and play a blinder.
    Good luck to all bands on their day......Richard...CubbRep

5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Somewhere between first and last :p

I agree with the above comments - it can be a real lottery as to which band turns up on the day, what disasters the band has to live with - there always seems to be something! - and how the adjudicator(s this year) like what we do...

Fingers are always crossed. But i really do think that is all you can hope for. 1st to last. Hopefully closer to 1st though :).

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

You guys are lucky having two adjudicators, down here in L&SC we're still using the one man "lucky dip" method :D

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Maybe Steve but its served us both quite well over the years. Anyway after our customary early draw last year I was positive there were 2 adjudicators on stage!

8. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I think Lottery is best to describe it all. Will the nerves get to people, will the adjudicator(s) agree with your conductors interpretation of the piece. And its always best to end up in the bar. For me any improvement on last years area result will be a step in the right direction

9. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

Our last 3 results have been 8, 7, 6 so I assume 5th this year, hopefully we will get a change of draw, last and 1 from last in the previous 2 years - drinking time much reduced !

10. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Our main goal is to try to avoid relegation! With a relegation from the Championship and then not being able to go last year (band nearly folded), we've spent the last 9 months rebuilding...

... and now we've got a band and can go - Hurrah!

Who knows what will happen in the section on the day, we'll have to see!

11. I'm going to agree with some of those comments.... somewhere between 1st and last definately... I can even narrow this down to 1st and 12th as I hear a rumour that only 12 bands have entered our contest.
    One comment even more certain than that is "the bar" Although bars are limited at the Burton venue so a small smokey pub round the corner is more like it...I might even stick my neck and say the greasy burger van in the car park might get a visit as well...

I think with Images it will be a lottery... a very much doubt any band will be able to play it correctly at tempo... so it all depends whether the judges go for a more accurate slower version or a not so accurate quicker version...hmmmm

I think Cilla Black should be the adjudicator as on that soap star super star she thought everyone was great... and she'd probably give a 12 way tie... that'll do me.

12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think we are hoping to get promoted this year and looking at the rankings it means getting in the top 4. However I think we'll be dissapointed if we get promoted but miss out on a trip to Harrogate. The way we've been playing lately I think we could get top 2

Yorkshire 1st Section

13. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

when will the tMp prediction competition be open for business?

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

When we have confirmation of all the competing bands in all the Areas!

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We need to get in the first 6 for definate or else its 2nd section but we can come a slow as 8th providing 8 band s who are above us finish below us as 99% of us have said its a lottery it all depends if your face fits on the day:
    And as im the best at using them::) ;) :confused: :mad: :ranting2: :woo
    POST NUMBER 979

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

LFMAO!! If i could still give rep... :clap:

17. 1alexm

1alexm Member

1st......... obviously

18. andyp

andyp Active Member

It's almost impossible to predict our section, cos there's bands from 2nd section local in it that you don't play against except at the Area, all we can do is give it our best and cross fingers!

19. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

:clap:

Well we may end up swapping with you! LOL

20. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Well done to you all for the hard work that I know you have put in to get the band to a position where you can now compete with the best of them in your section again
    you have a great bunch of people and a good man in the middle so the only way for you all I hope is UP

See you at the weekend and lets prove that Lydney are still a force to be reackoned with