Exercises from the Arban

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GER, Sep 25, 2017.

1. GER

GER Member

With the exception of the solo's and the studies, which exercises in the Arban have you found most beneficial, why, and for which instrument
    Some of my favourites are:
    Page 33 Ex 31 Find it helps with control and stamina
    Pg 34 Ex 32 Helps differentiate playing in Major and Minor keys
    Pg 41 Ex 14 & 15-great for practising slurs
    Pg 66 Ex 37- great for improving flexibility in fingers

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

All kinds of exercises are fairly equally important - good practice is about moderation and balance (never playing to destruction or significant tiredness, and practicing a good mix of different sorts of exercises).

I guess trying to answer the question... Probably the slur& double-tongue exercises, they really broke me into multiple tonguing well.

There's an awful lot of good stuff in that book, if you take the time to find it... There are also some other books that cover things (significantly) better - eg: Colin and Irons for flexibilities... But the majority of these are nowhere near the all-round resource that the Arban is.

mikelyons likes this.
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Page 125 (in mine) - mixed intervals in all keys, used it for everything I've played.

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

They are all good and there are exercises that cover most aspects of playing. As with all things, you get out of it what you put in.

Tom-King likes this.
  5. mikelyons

Also, don't forget that you can get it as a pdf for free!

Tom-King likes this.
  6. Tom-King

Likewise for the other major encyclopedic resource - St. Jacome

2nd tenor likes this.
  7. GER

GER Member

I have two copies one I bought in the late 70's which is still in daily use and the other one I 'inherited' when my grandfather died, it looked old and used then and that was 54 years ago. It's in poor condition so wouldn't think it's worth anything, but would love to know how old it is. Have checked and the page numbering is exactly the same in both editions, and although the pages in the old one are yellowed it is still perfectly readable.

mikelyons likes this.
  8. jobriant

jobriant Member

I would love to get a capy of Arban in FINALE format, preferably for Finale 2012 or earlier. Other than getting a copy and entering the whole thing into Finale myself, can anyone suggest or recommend a source?

9. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Perhaps I’m mistaken but I don’t think that that resource has been mentioned on tmp before and I know nothing about it. Of course I’m well short of being able to play the clever stuff in such texts, but I feel sure that other members of the forum would like to hear about St Jacome. Please would you tell us more?

mikelyons likes this.
  10. Tom-King

In a way it's similar to the Arban and in a way it's not... it's similar in that there's so much of it that picking and choosing is essential, and there's a degree of overlap in terms of how much of each it'd be worth practicing in parallel.

It's a shame it's not better known (which is the main reason I dropped the mention in here when the topic of the Arban PDF came up, you can get it online on PDF), in a similar way to the Arban you could practice from nothing else and never really run out of material that improved your playing.

If there's a criticism of Saint Jacome it's that it doesn't cover the basics quite as well as Arban, nor does its structural eccentricity make it an easy resource to use... if there's a critique of Arban, it's that it doesn't go nearly as far as St Jacome... It's certainly something worth looking into for almost any player, but especially when beginning to come to grips with the business end of the Arban (regardless of how successfully), it's certainly worth looking at as a semi-follow-on (not that you ever truly outgrow Arban either).

Jack E, mikelyons and 2nd tenor like this.
  11. mikelyons

Does Finale have a means of scanning and converting pdfs? (Sibelius uses PhotoScore) It's still a lot of work, though.

12. jobriant

jobriant Member

Yes, but it takes longer to clean up the scanning errors than it does to enter the music directly into Finale.

mikelyons likes this.
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not true. Finale did indeed have scanning and OCR technology (if memory serves it could only recognise TIFF's, not PDF's), and MakeMusic were on the verge of introducing a new PDF import feature in the lead up to the release of Finale25 (most recent version). However the planned feature was pulled, together with all scanning/OCR capability, following an outcry on social media led by some vociferous composers who complained that MakeMusic was making it too easy to circumvent copyright restrictions.

Jim's comment about it usually being quicker to enter music from scratch rather than scanning is still valid, of course.

mikelyons likes this.
  14. mikelyons

Figures! :-D

15. jobriant

jobriant Member

Yes, I mis-spoke about Finale recognizing PDFs; you're right that it could recognize only TIFF files (and couldn't recognize JPGs or BMPs either).