Excuses for lack of practice....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Texus, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Texus

Texus Member

Following my bands attempts at a first rehearsal back last night, just wondering what excuses we all have for doing no practice over the christmas break. Unfortunately i was given a copy of FM2007 by my stepson, and this has resulted in hours being lost to the computer. What about you lot??

2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Most Percussionists have a good excuse for not practising.

1. WE don't need to!

2. Instruments are all secured in band room and those nasty brass players don't let us have the key.

3. Just got WAY too drunk to sit on the stool.

4. Neighbours have a nervous disposition.

5. I might WANT big flabby lips, it attracts women!

3. Texus

Texus Member

Judging by the amount of dodgy notes our bloke played in his own arrangement of his own xylo solo last night, i would have to agree with most of your points!

4. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

;) Composers license I believe it is called? ;)

5. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

although why make up excuses!!! Its Christmas, time for family and P.A.R.T.Y you may aswell start when you go back to work!!!

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

This is a difficult one! With a contest only 2 weeks away to not have practiced for a couple of weeks is hardly good preparation and at our first rehearsal back yesterday it was clearly obvious that some had and others had not.

However, we also have to consider that the majority of players do this as a hobby, have other interests, families, holidays etc and so if they don't want to practice they have not commited any offence. They may well be letting down other band members but they obviously don't have a problem with that. It is the same as people who don't turn up to rehearsals but don't have the courtesy to let anyone know.

Unfortunately, most bands are not in a position to do too much about this as players are hardly queueing up to replace these culprits.

C'est la vie!

7. I didn't make excuses.. i just practised :-?(hmmm...):-? it is xmas after all lol

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Oh dear....

Not only did I not practice as much as I should have.. I forgot to inform Hon Sec that I was not going to turn up....

shame on me.....

9. tenor_horn_18

tenor_horn_18 New Member

Well i have to do a performance at uni on the 15th January and i have only recently had be braces taken off so i've had to practice in order to keep my lip in and to try to get my standard back up to what it used to be. im not there yet but im still trying and my pitch has improved as i can get much higher now. yey :)

10. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

I practiced Ian, not that you could tell...still waiting for a new mouthpiece to arrive...Santa was late :D Still using the Sop mouthpiece (the only one I have left that isn't dented :-? ) always helps on the top C's, lol.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    lack
    practice
    copy
    FM2007
    Excuses
  12. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Although the best excuse came from the euph players at Boxted, they had operations (of the medical kind) over Christmas. Anything to get out of practice and carol playing ;)

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could say that you had developed cold sores because of a bad cold or the 'flu! :rolleyes:

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

just check my thread out christmas day
    you will see i practised.
    I have heard a well known player say you can always find time for practise even if you have to use the works toilet area and put a sign on saying
    OUT OF ORDER

15. annieds

annieds Member

I was either so busy that I had no time to breathe to live, let alone in a controlled and musical manner, or I could not move.
    But Thursday's rehearsal was a triumph of enthusiasm if not musicalness, so maybe the rest did everyone some good.

I must admit, though, the ones I know did practice, did do better. That might just have been luck!

16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

The dog ate my cornet.....

:)

17. i did some practice, then remembered im lazy, and put it back in the case! ;)

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

No excuses, just reasons...too darned busy (hospital visits etc).

Started area sectionals today tho. :tup

19. on_castors

on_castors Member

I don't need an excuse, I am playing 2nd Baritone ;-)

20. My next door neighbours dog ate my cornet and it took 2 weeks before it pooped it out.

21. MartinT

MartinT Member

Clearly not a bass player then...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    lack
    practice
    copy
    FM2007
    Excuses