Exciting Openers.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrassBander87, Feb 25, 2015.

1. BrassBander87

BrassBander87 New Member

I need a short but imposing opener for an upcoming local entertainment contest. It can't be longer than 3 minutes as time is obviously a factor. My band is 3rd section so can't handle anything too ridiculous. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

BB87.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BB87
    minutes
    imposing opener
    upcoming local entertainment contest
    Exciting Openers
  3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

When Thunder Calls - nuff said!!

Alternatively, if you're looking for something different, try "Trinity" by Lorne Barry (published SP & S). My band started with it at a contest last year and it seemed to work well.

4. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Paul

We have not met - today I was looking at the 50th anniversary LP your band brought out in 1969 - along with the music tracks are all the band members names who recorded it - 46 years ago that makes it just 4 years short of the band's centenary how time seem to roll on quicker these days. I will be playing a track from the LP not sure what yet but I will let you know...

Regards

Chris Helme
    Sunday Bandstand

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Fanfare For The Common Man? I seem to rmember there is a striking but playable arrangement of it out there.
    Olympic Fanfare & Theme - This is a bit longer, but I'm sure you could cut the middle section, which is a bit boring (Apologies to Darrol Barry)

6. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I have a nice fanfare that I wrote for the Europeans last year. It's just over a minute long. Let me know... (trumpettom@hotmail.co.uk)

7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Death or Glory

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

This might be a bit of a challenge, but years ago, after playing the bands eponymous signature march, Imps used to open with "Introduction to Act Three of Lohengrin" ~ What a cracker, full of excitement and dynamism. It used to set the audience back in their seats.
    Otherwise, a smart up tempo tidy march is always a good bet.
    ~ Mr Wilx

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If you're happy to go with the tried'n'tested, James Curnow's "Fanfare and Flourishes" is a reliable choice. Used to be a bit overdone, but I haven't heard it for quite a while now, so might be due a dusting down ...

10. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Hi Chris

Thanks for letting me know about the LP - think one member from then still playing with the band.....

Paul

11. pedaller

pedaller Member

What about Fest Music der Stadt Wien. A bit of work should see you right as a 3rd section band. I think Eric Banks did the arrangement, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong...as usual.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BB87
    minutes
    imposing opener
    upcoming local entertainment contest
    Exciting Openers
  13. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Record Sleeve Details

Hello Paul - Here is the record sleeve information - Looking through the music tracks I remember playing (Eb Bass) some of these back in the 60s...Looking at the music tracks I cannot imagine why it opens up with Selected Christmas Carols - it is hardly a Christmas record - an unusual choice of opener.. I see you did a 60th anniversary LP - Have you recorded anything since I was thinking you may have some I could play on my show..... Chris
    Tullis Russell Band 50th annivwersary LP - 1969.jpg

14. startingsop

startingsop New Member

How about 'Fanfare from La Peri'? It's short, striking and quite interesting.

15. JR

JR Member

I like that one too, but might be pushing it for 3rd section (need 3 triple tongueing troms/ditto cts. etc etc..)

Curnow's Lobe Den Herren prelude is a bit easier and effective

And I'd like to give a shout out for Andi Cook's Ye Morning Stars of Light - works really well and only 2 mins.

JR

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

True, although I always preferred to hear the piece taken a bit slower, so that the triplets could be single-tongued; felt it had a bit more maestoso about it ...

17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

'Prelude for an epic occasion' is wonderful and probably falls within your requirements.
    Worth a look.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ray Farr's 'Adventures in Brass' could fit the bill, although it's a little longer - maybe it could be cut down a bit.

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's a really good one. Certainly worth dragging out of the library cupboard for a run through.

~ Mr Wilx

20. gerry

gerry Supporting Member

21. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

You could cut it down to Ray Farr's Adventures in Bras.

That might be exciting...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  22. BrassBander87

BrassBander87 New Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. I'll have a root around in the library for some of these.