Exciting Openers.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrassBander87, Feb 25, 2015.

1. BrassBander87

BrassBander87 New Member

I need a short but imposing opener for an upcoming local entertainment contest. It can't be longer than 3 minutes as time is obviously a factor. My band is 3rd section so can't handle anything too ridiculous. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

When Thunder Calls - nuff said!!

Alternatively, if you're looking for something different, try "Trinity" by Lorne Barry (published SP & S). My band started with it at a contest last year and it seemed to work well.
  3. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Hello Paul

We have not met - today I was looking at the 50th anniversary LP your band brought out in 1969 - along with the music tracks are all the band members names who recorded it - 46 years ago that makes it just 4 years short of the band's centenary how time seem to roll on quicker these days. I will be playing a track from the LP not sure what yet but I will let you know...

Chris Helme
    Sunday Bandstand
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Fanfare For The Common Man? I seem to rmember there is a striking but playable arrangement of it out there.
    Olympic Fanfare & Theme - This is a bit longer, but I'm sure you could cut the middle section, which is a bit boring (Apologies to Darrol Barry)
  5. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I have a nice fanfare that I wrote for the Europeans last year. It's just over a minute long. Let me know... (trumpettom@hotmail.co.uk)
  6. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Death or Glory
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

This might be a bit of a challenge, but years ago, after playing the bands eponymous signature march, Imps used to open with "Introduction to Act Three of Lohengrin" ~ What a cracker, full of excitement and dynamism. It used to set the audience back in their seats.
    Otherwise, a smart up tempo tidy march is always a good bet.
    ~ Mr Wilx
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If you're happy to go with the tried'n'tested, James Curnow's "Fanfare and Flourishes" is a reliable choice. Used to be a bit overdone, but I haven't heard it for quite a while now, so might be due a dusting down ...
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Hi Chris

Thanks for letting me know about the LP - think one member from then still playing with the band.....

10. pedaller

pedaller Member

What about Fest Music der Stadt Wien. A bit of work should see you right as a 3rd section band. I think Eric Banks did the arrangement, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong...as usual.
  11. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

Record Sleeve Details

Hello Paul - Here is the record sleeve information - Looking through the music tracks I remember playing (Eb Bass) some of these back in the 60s...Looking at the music tracks I cannot imagine why it opens up with Selected Christmas Carols - it is hardly a Christmas record - an unusual choice of opener.. I see you did a 60th anniversary LP - Have you recorded anything since I was thinking you may have some I could play on my show..... Chris
    Tullis Russell Band 50th annivwersary LP - 1969.jpg
  12. startingsop

startingsop New Member

How about 'Fanfare from La Peri'? It's short, striking and quite interesting.
  13. JR

JR Member

I like that one too, but might be pushing it for 3rd section (need 3 triple tongueing troms/ditto cts. etc etc..)

Curnow's Lobe Den Herren prelude is a bit easier and effective

And I'd like to give a shout out for Andi Cook's Ye Morning Stars of Light - works really well and only 2 mins.

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

True, although I always preferred to hear the piece taken a bit slower, so that the triplets could be single-tongued; felt it had a bit more maestoso about it ...
  15. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

'Prelude for an epic occasion' is wonderful and probably falls within your requirements.
    Worth a look.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ray Farr's 'Adventures in Brass' could fit the bill, although it's a little longer - maybe it could be cut down a bit.
  17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's a really good one. Certainly worth dragging out of the library cupboard for a run through.

~ Mr Wilx
  18. gerry

gerry Supporting Member

19. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

You could cut it down to Ray Farr's Adventures in Bras.

That might be exciting...
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  20. BrassBander87

BrassBander87 New Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. I'll have a root around in the library for some of these.