Exciting news from Fodens?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Mar 12, 2008.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Tucked away in a corner of this month's BBW mag is the news that Fodens and Bram Tovey are about to record a new CD of music by George Benjamin, Richard Rodney Bennett, Judith Bingham, Kenneth Hesketh, Robin Holloway and Philip Wilby.

Could it be that after so many years, we are about to get the first commercial recordings of Altitude, Flowers of the Forest and one (or even both) of Robin Holloway's War Memorial pieces? Might it also even include one of Judith Bingham's previously unrecorded pieces? This is seriously exciting news. Am I too early to nominate this CD for a CD of the year award???

In anticipation,
  2. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I am simply incredulous that ANY recording of substance with this combination has taken this long. I know his schedule must be unbelievable but still........... I'm in anticipation with you James.
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Where do I place my order? Great news.

4. James Yelland

I see that this CD is scheduled for release in early October. It does indeed include Altitude and Flowers of the Forest, although the Robin Holloway piece appears to have bitten the dust (a pity), and three of the other pieces have been recorded before - but it still looks a fantastic CD. Definitely on my shopping list.
  5. wilky

wilky Member

A press release on the cd can be seen on 4barsrest
    It is a fantastic cd!!!!

thanks mark wilkinson
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

There's also a 2-page article in the October 2008 issue of Gramophone magazine which talks about the new Fodens CD a lot.

Incidentally, the CD is called New Music for Brass Band and is on the NMC label. Not a label that I'm familiar with but we've taken steps to ensure we have stock in time for the Nationals at the Royal Albert Hall.
  7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

The NCM label is a very forward looking label. This kind of music is in dire need of recording. Much neglected as well. From Fodens to. Good to see a band being adventourus for a change. I hope this venture will be a worthwhile one. I certainly be buying this cd and so should a lot of other bb fans.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good to see Prague again, and hopefully the studio recording will win over some of it's previous critics.
  9. brassbandmaestro

In reality, the brass band world, that all of us love, needs to have more cds like this, if we are to survive.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I want Grimey to do a commemorative recording of Grimethorpe Special with Elgar Howarth at the helm again. That would be a popular buy for them!
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It can also be preordered directly from NMC here.

Audio samples here.
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Cheers Keith, saved me the bother seeing if they were available! Samples seem to be revealing more detail than usual offerings (... and I've been busy trying to clean this malware found on my PC!)
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Definitely one to go on the "wants" list, and should complement well Bram Tovey's Canadian recordings of new repertoire. I recall listening to several of those from the old BBC Festival of Brass, so it will be good to hear them again, and to have new recordings to set against Leyland's "Alchymist's Journal", Faireys' "Shadow Songs" and "Prague".
  14. PeterBale

It appears that "Grimethorpe Aria", "Garden Rain" and "Ragtimes & Habaneras" are all on the forth-coming History of Brass Band Music, Volume 6.
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

We just need a narrated version of Fireworks to complete the set. It would also be interesting to see an update from Mr. Howarth about bandsfolk and their attitudes towards new music then and what he thinks now.
  16. brassbandmaestro

Anyone heard Grimey's version of Shadow-Songs? With Martin Hindmarsh, the tenor solost?
  17. PeterBale

Aren't you getting it confused with his "Unholy sonnets"?
  18. James Yelland

Ironically, I believe that Mr Howarth's enthusiasm for the genuinely avant-garde repertoire has cooled somewhat as he has got older, or at least, that's what I recall him saying in a forum at the RNCM festival two or three years ago. I think it was also from him that I learned that Fireworks was originally a considerably longer piece than the one we are familiar with today. It'd be rather interesting to hear it, don't you think? I think it was also at that talk that he revealed that he had once begun a brass band opera based on the Just William stories. What a pity he didn't see it through!

I also notice that the NMC website lists a CD by the RNCM Brass Ensemble - they kept that one quiet, didn't they?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  19. James Yelland

Yes, I believe Mr BBMaestro is getting confused! But the Grimethorpe version of Unholy Sonnets is far superior to Fairey's offering, in my opinion, and indeed, that recording (From Sonnets to Jazz) is one of my most cherished discs.
  20. brassbandmaestro

James Yelland, I compeletly agree with you on Grimey's disc! Must be one of their best recordings.