Exciting new BBC and Brass collaboration

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Then you can fully appreciate our narkedness as he was pencilled in for the Nationals. Bl***y BBC...

2. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

I wish you every success in finding someone to fill the gaps and help the band restore back to its former glory

3. Jethro

Jethro Member

Thanks for that Ben, and I'm sure we will:p

4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Ooops. No we have not. He didn`t realise he couldn`t play for us if he signed for them as well. Luckily for us he decided to stay (with absolutely no pressure I might add!). :clap:

5. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

And we have just lost 3 players

6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Well its what im led to believe anyway

7. Mujician

Mujician Member

I have recently joined this band on bass trombone; even though there is an existing bass trombone player (a thoroughly awesome player!!!!) I feel like I am fitting in and Im not treading on his toes as he has work commitments. In the few rehearsals I have been to the band has improved tremendously. Well done Dinnington!!!
    I dont think there there is any romm for any more bass trombones in the band, nor indeed basses! (we had five at the last rehearsal!!) We are somewhat lacking in the cornet department.
    I hope I have not spoken out of turn or said anything I shouldnt have. From my little experience of banding I feell like Dinnington is definately on the way up. Ben

Oh, did I mention we need more cornets?!!! Give the number on the first post of this thread a ring.

8. Jethro

Jethro Member

Thats it then. The BBC have finally stopped filming and have left the fold as they say.
    Must admit though it was a fantastic experience and the things we did were unbelievable.The programmes are due to air in March 2010 on BBC2.
    Can I take this opportunity to thank all at Shine for what they did and to Sue Perkins (a real head the ball) for her help and support.
    Exciting things are happening within the band (details of which will be posted as and when) so its now down to a bit of hard work.

Jethro:p

9. Jethro

Jethro Member

For anyone who is interested, we have been told today that the 1st of the programmes is to be shown on BBC2 on the 8th of March at 21.00 then the other 2 to follow on the 15th and 22nd.
    Should be quite good viewing...

Jethro:p

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

There's a statement on the BBC website for this, repeated twice on 4barsrest and also on the bands Facebook page for this programme

"According to the programme: "Just thirty years ago there were 35,000 registered brass bands playing in the UK, today only around 700 survive"

So 20 years ago assumming that each band had 25 players there were 875,000 brass band players in the UK!!!

So we've lost 70 bands for each one thats left?

Seems to me that someone has mixed up the number of players 20 years ago with the number of bands now.

What is surprising is that 4barsrest haven't picked up on that although they do say "according to the programme...."

Anyway looking forward to the programme - hope its not going to be flat caps, whippets and "its rum up north"

11. Jethro

Jethro Member

I think someone in the research department might not have added enough waterthere Fran!!!
    Anyway its only figures.... Just hope you enjoy the programme..

Jethro

12. Frontman

Frontman Member

I have always had my doubt regarding this programme especially when it get's publicity like this.

The Independant. 9th March.

Also enjoying the cameras is a fellow called Dr Nicholas Childs, conductor of the "world famous" Black Dyke Band, which is not quite world famous enough for its fame to have found my house, but that doesn't matter. I know Dr Childs is a brass band big shot because he told us so – "Alex Ferguson comes from Govan, I come from Tredegar" – and if anyone can save Dinnington Colliery Band, he can. And Perkins. And the idea of being on television.

13. bannisa

bannisa Member

Frontman - I can't understand why you have any doubts about the program? It was excellent, heartwarming, real life and demonstrated a group of people who are committed to their band. Whatever level we play at now, it all starts at this grass roots level of banding. Good luck to Dinnington! Having had them join us for our concert at Sheffield City Hall at the back end of last year along with Sue Perkins, I for one wish them all the best. It's fantastic that the BBC are taking an interest in our movement and long may it continue!

Also, I thought the review in the Independent was excellent, accurate and honest. If anybody would like to read the full article, follow this link: www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...hannel-4-a-band-for-britain-bbc2-1918306.html

Andrew Bannister
    Assistant Principal Cornet
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

14. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Accurate, not really, just selective.

"So, Perkins held auditions, and found a chirpy young drummer with dreadlocks, as well as Jack, who used to be in the band but quit. Why does he want to come back?"

Ignoring the rather telling comment from Dr Childs that one of the audition panel might have been the reason he left in the first place.

15. bannisa

bannisa Member

I disagree - it was absolutely accurate and not selective at all.

Andrew Bannister
    Assistant Principal Cornet
    Grimethorpe Colliery Band

16. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

I watched the first episode and got very frustrated. It is TV for TVs sake, Nobody in the wider brass band world is going to benefit from this in the long run. I can think of more than a few bands that would love a training band and their own band room, but can't muster the support from the communities they serve and they carry on regardless. A great opportunity missed.

17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Loved the episode tonight. I wasn't sure some of the players or the band was shown in the best light in previous programs, but thought tonight was really heart-warming.

:tup

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree; the concert with Grimey was clearly a great occasion for Sue and the band, and that came across very clearly. Nice that the programme ended on a high.

It does seem a shame that the biggest enthusiast and evangelist for brass bands in general, and Dinnington in particular, was Sue Perkins, though. I guess it takes an outsider to see just how good brass bands can be. How she stayed quite so chipper I've no idea, when faced with players who've just been given the chance to share a stage with Grimey and just sit there with faces like bulldogs licking wee off nettles :rolleyes:.

Best line of the series, and a universally applicable motto that would serve banding well, were we to all adopt it: "More music, less politics".:tup

19. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

That sop player was good! Did she come through the Training Band?:p

20. John_D

John_D Member

and yet the bands website still list a vacancy for a sop player