Examples of a good large-bore French horn?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Little-Acorn, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn New Member

I've been playing my 1960 Mirafone Siegfried gold-brass double horn for 50 years. After a few years in drum & bugle corps in my misspent youth, I tend to put a lot of air thru the horn when the dynamics are fortissimo, and sometimes the tone turns harsh and screechy when I do. I'm obviously overblowing, something a good horn player would never do, but I'm not so good.

I understand that a "large bore" horn doesn't have larger tubing thru most of the horn. But it has a somewhat more rapid expansion for the last few feet into the bell. I've heard that a "large bore" horn can handle more volume or power than a medium-bore without shredding the tone so much - anybody know if this is true?

Can anybody give me some examples of a "large bore" or "very large bore" French horn? Is the Conn 8D one such? Any others?
  2. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Have you tried wearing a boxing glove on your right hand while playing ?

I have been reliably informed that this simple measure improves the sound made by most french hornists.

Large Bore Bob
  3. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I would be interested to know how you measure the bore of a french horn...eh? eh? You having that Bob Sherunkle?

But seriously, I know on a cornet that the bore is measured by taking out the second valve slide and measuring the diameter of the tubing at the second valve slide port: 0.460" to 0.465" is usually medium bore, and 0.466" to 0.47" is large bore. What's the equivalent for a french horn and how is it measured?