Examples of a good large-bore French horn?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Little-Acorn, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn New Member

I've been playing my 1960 Mirafone Siegfried gold-brass double horn for 50 years. After a few years in drum & bugle corps in my misspent youth, I tend to put a lot of air thru the horn when the dynamics are fortissimo, and sometimes the tone turns harsh and screechy when I do. I'm obviously overblowing, something a good horn player would never do, but I'm not so good.

I understand that a "large bore" horn doesn't have larger tubing thru most of the horn. But it has a somewhat more rapid expansion for the last few feet into the bell. I've heard that a "large bore" horn can handle more volume or power than a medium-bore without shredding the tone so much - anybody know if this is true?

Can anybody give me some examples of a "large bore" or "very large bore" French horn? Is the Conn 8D one such? Any others?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    French
    Mirafone Siegfried
    bugle
    youth
    lot
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Have you tried wearing a boxing glove on your right hand while playing ?

I have been reliably informed that this simple measure improves the sound made by most french hornists.

Large Bore Bob

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I would be interested to know how you measure the bore of a french horn...eh? eh? You having that Bob Sherunkle?

But seriously, I know on a cornet that the bore is measured by taking out the second valve slide and measuring the diameter of the tubing at the second valve slide port: 0.460" to 0.465" is usually medium bore, and 0.466" to 0.47" is large bore. What's the equivalent for a french horn and how is it measured?