Exam Board

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Jan 29, 2005.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Apologies if this has come up before, but I was wondering which exam board everyone uses? I'm doing my Grade 8 later this year, and as I haven't done any theory exams yet, Trinity would be the best option. Also it mentioned in the syllabus that instead of scales, you can do one of the Arban studies, or a brass band excerpt. This sounds great to me as I'm not too keen on scales, but is Trinity as well respected as ABRSM? I did my first few piano exams with ABRSM and then switched to Trinity and found the atmosphere a lot friendlier and the pieces more appealing. Any comments?
  2. jonford

jonford Member

If you are just doing music as a hobby then I don't think it really matters what exam board you go with. However if you intend to carry on music to further study like University then they may prefer you to have done Associated board but this does vary.
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Do you by any chance know Dave Little?
  4. jonford

jonford Member

Ha ha, Yes I do know Dave Little.
  5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I have heard your rendition of rondo. Tis lovely :tup
  6. jonford

jonford Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shock:

Thank you for your kind words though
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've done 2 grades under the Trinity syllabus... Grade 6 Clarinet and Grade 8 Saxophone...
    Grade 8 Sax I did an extra study, which was basically an improvisation piece... Got 14/15 for that, which is a lot higher mark than if I had done scales!

Trinity is just as recognisable as ABRSM... there was a thread up not so long ago that I said the same thing...

Trinity is better in the respect that you get ya results within days of doing the exam (I took my Sax exam on a Friday and the results came through to my teacher by phone on the Sunday), rather than waiting for 2 weeks for ABRSM...
    My grade 8 Percussion exam through ABRSM was just as good as the Trinity... but, having said that, my percussion exam was at my teachers house, the examiner was just as nice as the Trinity one (better in fact)... but I don't think that is or should be an issue... guess you're either lucky or not when it comes to what examiner you get.

As for pieces... some would argue that Trinity is a lot easier than ABRSM.... I've heard people say that grade 8 Trinity is like Grade 6 ABRSM... but, judge that one for yourself...
    I had to work just as hard for my Trinity exams as my ABRSM ones...

As Jon says, if you're not planning on going into further education with Music than it really doesn't matter.... but, having said that, whats in a piece of paper anyway?... Some so called Professional musicians cant sight-read a simple hymn tune, but have Grade 8 on paper... many people I know at Salford don't have the paper to say what standard they are at; but they can show their standard when auditioning and playing in the uni bands... most don't have any musical theory grades... ... I worked hard for three grade 8 exams the summer before I left for uni 3 years ago... Sax, Percussion and Music Theory...

If you plan to teach, having the grade 8 in both Practical and Theory would look better than someone trying to teach with nothing... but what Board it's with, in my opinion, doesn't matter.... Trinity is fine...

Good luck for the exam! Let us know how you get on.... :-D
  8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Ta for that, I hope I pass. The only problem with it is that the exam is only a month after my piano exam and halfway through my GCSE's, so I don't have as much time to practise as I'd like. Ah well, I'll give it my best shot!
  9. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

With regards to the theory aspect of the grade 8 Trinity exam, I advise you look carefully at the syllabus, as I have a strong feeling that a grade 5 theory exam pass is required. Certanly we require it for a grade 8 practical with the London College - just as it's required for a grade 6 and above with the ABRSM.

With reard to standing / quality of the exam - if anyone says the various boards are not even, they should take it up with the QCA (Qualifications and Curriculum Authority), as they have overseen all the levels with all the boards - except Rock School which I believe comes into line later this year!
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Is that the one with Jack Black??
  11. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I believe it is;)
  12. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

Sadly no - but I have thought of using his teaching style!
  13. jpbray

jpbray Member

I tend to agree with Jonford. A lot is a percetion thing, but academic establishments Know if you have grades 6 and above ABRSM you have got the theory to go with it. In addition ABRSM appears to be the "industrial standard".
  14. samandy

samandy Member

Hi there

I'm not sure about other exam syllabuses but ABRSM grade 6,7,8 theory and practical exams are counted by UCAS when applying for university.
  15. jonford

jonford Member

Yes this is true, when I applied I think they had only just started including them as UCAS points and then some unis increased their points for entry because of this! :shock: