Every Whit Way We Can - tMP Whit Award Winners Announced

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Di, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Every Whit Way We Can

[imgleft]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/delph.jpg [/imgleft]tMP at the Whits

For the 5th consecutive year, a tMP band was formed and set off to the Whit Friday Marches. There were mixed feelings throughout the week ... the excited aniticipation of a great evening at the Marches alongside the dread of what the weather channels were promising us - a mixture of scattered showers and thunderstorms. Well, Friday came, and along with it, a period of dry sunny weather with just a touch of breeze, considered by many ... perfect marching conditions.

Having congregated at the hotel, the new tMP band got into formation in the car park and rehearsals were under way. After being put through our paces on both the road march and the contest march, the coach was loaded and we set off for an early start.

We struck very lucky out our first village, Scouthead, with a very short queue. Following on from Scouthead, we made an early trip to Delph, possibly the busiest, most lively location.

[imgright]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/percussion.jpg[/imgright] tMP is for Everyone!

We had several players with us for whom it was their first taste of the Whits. Amongst those was our youngest player of the day, 10 year old Rhiannon. When I asked Rhiannon what her favourite part of the day was, she replied happily "the singing on the bus". Also a "first timer", not only at the Whits, but in taking part in a brass band event was Pauline, aka "Magic Flute". After "observing" for a couple of marches, and under the tutiledge of our principal percussionist, Craig (Super_Sop), our brave flautist took up the clash cymbals. Good for you Pauline! One can only assume that Pauline enjoyed this, as she played on for the rest of the evening.

Overall, we managed 6 events thanks to both a great bus driver, but also thanks to Ron, who supplied the "local" knowledge and navigating. I'm sure Ron and Roger must have thought we'd abandoned them at Lydgate. They both jumped off the coach to register the band and the coach was "moved on" and told to go and turn round before unloading the band. We drove a good couple of miles before coming to somewhere we could turn around and then were unable, due to hold ups, get back into the village. It was a good while before they came up the road to meet us. :rolleyes: Anyway, thank you Ron, not only for the navigating, but handling the pizza delivery too. :biggrin::tup

[imgleft]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/player.jpg[/imgleft] tMP Awards
    tMP Player of the Day - 2007

We did this year, as last year have some awards to make. Once again, Brasscrest (Robert Schramm) in lieu of being able to take part in the Whits, generously sponsored the "tMP Player of the Day - Whits 2007" award. It is always difficult to single out one indivdual who stands out on any performance, but after a discussion amongst the team, the Player of the Day award, along with a bottle of champagne and a copy of The Mouthpiece march were presented to our bass trombone player for the day, Steve Ankar of Brackley and District Band. Well done Steve.

[imgright]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/split.jpg[/imgright]tMP Split of the Whits - 2007

Again, as last year, we also had the two "fun" awards, the first of which was the "tMP Split of the Whits - 2007". Fortunately, this is a little easier to judge as, inevitably throughout the evening, someone, sometime will eventually drop in a corker. This spot fell to the bass section this year, to Bb Bass Player Jack from the Lympstone Band. This was Jacks first visit to the Whits and he enjoyed himself so much, he said he'll definitely be back next year. Nice one Jack!

[imgleft]http://www.themouthpiece.com/images/wit.jpg[/imgleft]tMP Wit of the Whits - 2007

And so on to our final award of the evening, the Wit of the Whits.

Some of you may have seen mention that John (TheMusicMan) was hoping to make some podcasts during the day. Unfortunately, John was unavoidably delayed at work (pesky jobs eh? Who'd 'ave em? :rolleyes: ), so I decided to try and have a go myself. Now, I know some of you will find this hard to believe, but I am quite shy you know. Yes, actually, I am, especially faced with a microphone and the thought of "interviewing" strangers. So rather than talk to strangers, I thought I'd try and talk to none other than long-time member, regular event attender - tMPs Craig.

Bad idea! Baad baaaad idea. Still tongue tied and a little uncertain as to what to say, I tried to make a start, but shyness, and just that expectant look on Craigs face, and the giggles broke out. Craig tried "wiping the smile" from his face and giving it his best "serious" look, but it was no good, I still couldn't do it. Eventually, after several false starts, I managed to get a grip and finally came up with a quite coherent, and I thought, sensible question.

"With me now is Craig. Craig, you seem to be quite a regular at these tMP events, what keeps bringing you back?".

Now I was (obviously mistakenly) expecting an answer along the lines of "the great atmosphere", "meeting new people at each event" . In fact, anything other than the dry, straight faced delivery of :

"bus usually".

I am now scarred for life and may never face a microphone again!

Craig .. the award may be yours, but

Revenge will be MINE!
  2. rutty

rutty Active Member

It's a shame I didn't see you around one of the villages but it's a great event and I do hope to see you there next year.

Our band goes every year, so no tMP band for me, but it looks like you had a great time. Hope to see you all again somewhere soon!
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey long termer.... :) How's you? Long time no see/read :)
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

Addicted to Flickr ;¬)

I still pop over occasionally - really should post a bit more. Or even, at all! Good to see that tMP is still thriving - LOADS of new faces. :)
  5. TheMusicMan

Cheers Dave... and I have to say that your site gets more interesting each time I visit.

PS: top class self portraits.... mucho classo...
  6. rutty

rutty Active Member

Cheers John! To be honest, I'm starting to get sick of looking at myself, but I started the self-portrait a day thing so I suppose I'd better finish it off ;¬)

I'm loving learning about photography but at the end of the day I still love my banding and that still takes priority. Maybe I can combine the two in the future ;)
  7. TheMusicMan

The two I thought were good are the one you like (glasses) and the one where you say 'Do I need a shave'. Excellent portraits Dave... :tup
  8. Di

Di Active Member

* cough cough *

Am I gonna have to "topic" you fellas? ;)
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Di, Di, Di.

Remember the nomination for "Most on Topic" in the tMP 4 Year Live awards.

"It's my forum, and if I say it's on topic it is!"
  10. TheMusicMan

Did I say that... nahhh... moi... :)
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

..... and the award for most pretentious post goes to........ ;)

It would of course be excusable if tMM hadn't skived off the overridingly important duties of 'Whit Friday' for something he laughingly refers to as "work".
  12. TheMusicMan

Blimey - got out of the wrong side of your bed this morning eh Ron. Have a pop at me day is it...? What have I done to you then eh?

Not sure what 'laughingly refers to as work' means to be honest, but you have no idea, and I can say that for sure.
  13. Lisa Holley

Lisa Holley New Member

Looks like great time was had by all (once again) sorry missed again this year, was dragged off on holiday - will some one has to go !!!!

Will tmp be fielding a band at Easingwold again this year?? - I saw somewhere that its on Sat 30th June - don't know if that's right??? does any one know???

If there is - see you there !!!!!
  14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

is the tMp band playing at Pontins this year?

OK the real question is does anyone have a room with space for a (large ish) bass trom player at Pontind this year?
  15. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Tmp player of the day a Bass Trom player? Get in there!!!! Nice one Steve
  16. stevetrom

used the age old tactic of not letting anyone else be heard ;)

still lookong for a bed/hovel at pontins :D
  17. stevetrom

I think I have a room at Pontins now (had to agree to play with a band)

So is the tMp band making an appearance ?
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Plans are in hand as I write this - expect an announcement any day ;)