Every child matters?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, May 10, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Found out this week that for the GCSE's and SATS exams my school is going to send minibuses round to pick up the pupils who can't be bothered to turn up on time directly from their house. When questioned about this the staff were told that 'its part of our every child matters policy.' Surely by the second exam they will cotton on to this and just use it as a means to stay in bed longer.

Things like this, and giving out equipment that they'd been told to bring themselves really annoys me. Its no preparation for the real world. Pupils aren't allowed to fail anymore, even if they deserve to. Every child matters should not mean endless coursework extensions, free equipment, not expelling pupils because they're from challenging backgrounds etc. What about the reliable well-behaved pupils don't they matter as well?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SATS
    GCSE
    bed
    school
    behaved pupils
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm with you. If the kids don't bother then neither should we. We'll always need roadsweepers.

4. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

I totally agree, i'm still in the education system at the moment doing my A2's so a certain amount of the people that can't be bothered with working, turning up to classes and disrupting the lessons has dissapeared. But you still some times experience it and it's really frustrating when you put effort in to the work that you do, you turn up to every lesson and they provide more support for those who do no work and give no effort.

5. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Well I've literally just got home from taking 2 of my year 10 mocks (we're lucky- we get study leave) and in all honesty I don't see why people turn up late. There were three people arriving late for the exam today- one who lives a long way away and her train was delayed (had she got the train on time she would have been 30 minutes early for the exam), but the other 2 live within an easy walking distance- about 10 minutes walk- and still turned up late.
    We are expected to be in school at least 15 minutes before our exams to give us time to put our bags away, get equipment out and sit down. Not only did the late people today not get here for the start of the actual exam, but they all arrived 15 minutes after the exam started. The start of the exam was at around 10-45, so there was no excuse not to be there on time.

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Daniel I totally agree with you, although this is nothing to do with ECM. It is 'everyone should pass' policy. If kids fail then it is ultimately the schools fault (haha). This has now been passed on higher up the education system. I work in a 6th form and I have the same pressures to get everyone to pass. There is no responsibility put on the student anymore. For example if students don't complete coursework I am expected to bend over backwards to allow them to submit it late. If students are late then they should be allowed into your lessons. The EMA money is the other thing that really gets me. There are some students who want to study but would be under pressure for financial reasons to leave and get a job. Unfortunately many young people see it as their right to get 'qualifications', my responsibility to drag them through kicking and screaming and they also think it is right for them to be paid to be there. Students even try to get around the system by not adding revision sessions etc to their EMA timetable. Thus they can skive off and still get the money. Little to them did they realise that I personally handed in the register direct to the EMA office :biggrin:. I have had students say that it is not fiar if they lose their EMA because they don't attend the session. So they fail the exam, I have to put on extra sessions to help them revise, they can skive off but still get 'paid'. It is all about fixing government statistics. Young people know how to play the systems and they know they can get away with it. The really sad thing is how frustrating this is for the hardworking students. I remember getting very frustrated with other students messing around, skiving off and not doing any work when I was at school, but at least these were 'allowed' to fail and were not claiming money to be there either. If I was a student now I think I would very very unhappy with the current situation.

7. Texus

Texus Member

Fantastic comments above - totally sums up the culture of our education system. Have pity on the poor staff that actually have to plan lessons that include "don't trip up" and "how to plug in a keyboard safely" just to ensure that our backs are covered. I will always be glad that people could still take risks back when i was at school.

More time is spent chasing and celebrating failure and the substandard than pushing and working with our achievers.

Equal funding for both groups would be great!

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Our school has told us under NO circumstances are we to lend equipement to students. Apparently if we lend them a calculator and it breaks during the exam they can sue us personally!!!!

I do agree though - every child matters, but some matter more than others it seems.....

9. annmck

annmck Member

I totally agree with all the previous opinions.
    What message does this sort of pandering/pampering send out to the students who always make an effort to get to school on time, make sure they have the correct equipment etc etc? Some of these students manage to do this against the odds....I know, I work in a school as a T.A. These are usually the ones who never complain, moan or back chat. They just get on with life, no matter how difficult it is for them at times.
    I don't think we are preparing some young people for life after school/college by wrapping them up in cotton wool all the time and doing everything for them. Life just isn't like that in the adult world. They are in for such a shock.
    But then.........I am a "f***ing miserable old cow" as I was told by a student a few weeks ago (although I have since received a voluntary apology from the person concerned after they were excluded for 3 days).

10. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

They got an exclusion?!? I got called a "f**king b*tch" last term in front of deputy head and nothing happened!

11. annmck

annmck Member

The school I work in is very supportive of all staff and T.A's and to be fair this incident was not an isolated one. I think it could be said it was the straw that broke the camels back in this case.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SATS
    GCSE
    bed
    school
    behaved pupils
  13. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Well, we had a GCSE music coursework evaluation exam this morning - pupils basically able to prepare for it word for word before they even got in the room! 1/2 of them 'didn't know' about the exam until I told them the venue for it yesterday (not that we'd been preparing in lessons, or they'd been given timetables or anything...). 2 were late, 1 had no pen, and 1/2 of them didn't know which (one) question to answer! Says it all!

14. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Same thing happened today with us. The kids hadn't got a clue and we had to go and fetch some of them even though they had been told so many times. One didn't even bother turning up at school. Just makes you think whats the point of spending all that time with them trying to support them when they can't be bothered.

15. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

well, I probably deserved it because I'd had the audacity to give her 'S' for satisfactory on her behaviour and effort report because she'd done basically nothing for an hour! ;)

I do think some of my students work hard - in fact, I've just lost a GREAT GCSE class.... but teenagers can be lazy and it worries me that, as teachers, we are forced to run around after them just so we don't get our backsides kicked when the results aren't great.

16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Stop spoon-feeding the little ******s! As Dyl points out, if they can't be bothered why, why, why should anyone else? No-one owes them a living or an exam pass.
    Time for a little personal responsibility...
    Our lot are getting a little giddy as exam season looms, and some people are genuinely disordered although they work well, those I don't have any problem with. Some however just want to cause maximum disruption to other students, to annoy staff and generally get in everyone's way.
    Bring back conscription:rolleyes:
    BMB
    xx

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'd make it free on the NHS myself ;)

18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I went home to collect a student for his GCSE Music Coursework Evaluation exam yesterday. He was too "ill" to go to school on the bus apparently, but managed the leavers prom last night......

19. Texus

Texus Member

20. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Exactly!!! Unfortunately its us that gets it in the neck if they don't pass...

21. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

I think this thread should be renamed 'Why do I like teaching?'

22. Texus

Texus Member

Like teaching? Like teaching?
    Because sometimes it can be absolutely fab. oh, and the holidays......
    Just don't mention the three E's!