Ever listened to your own band?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Blower, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Blower

Blower Member

Have you ever had the opportunity to listen to your own band? I did recently and was surprised to find that pieces I thought were c**p actually sounded good and pieces I enjoyed playing I didn't enjoy listening to!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    opportunity
    pieces
  3. delboy822

delboy822 Member

I've had the opportunity to listen to my own band on the contest stage twice now, as I had a 4 month stint with another band in the same section (but different coast)... Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends how you look at it) won both contests with the other band, but back with my old band now... Felt weird being in the audience though....

4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Our band was recorded and Posted on You Tube during our recent weekend at Newcastle.

I didnt enjoy listening to us; particularly my own inept performances! :oops:

However the Audience seemed happy enough :sup

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  5. bbg

bbg Member

I have compered three of our concerts recently, so had the opportunity to listen to the band from an "audience" perspective. It's confirmed for me what I've long thought - as a concert band , we certainly give full value for the entry fee, programmes chosen to suit the occasion and both bands (youth and senior) are always "up for it", not coasting along even if it is in the middle of a busy schedule. It's also openeed my ears / eyes to the latest batch of talent coming through the youth ranks - we have an excellent group of 16 - 17 year olds already established in the senior setup, good to know that there are more under 16s who can step up over the next 2 - 3 years.

6. still learnin

still learnin Member

I've had to pull out of our band's trip to Harrogate this weekend having played through the test piece a couple of times in August. Since then I've been sent recordings from rehearsals and they sound good. Wish I was going with them then they'd be even better. LOL!

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I was in the audience for a superb concert by my previous band and, as they always have, Old Hall gave full value for money, with a superb sound. It was useful not being distracted by my own performance errors which you pick up on a CD. And you're right, it always feels strange to be on the wrong side of the baton!

8. tenortuba

tenortuba Member

Due to over indulging in a solo pre-contest ritual that I like, I actually missed registration and only caught the last 3/4 of my bands performance at a local contest last year. It sounded cr*p, and I can only assume all aspects of tuning, ensemble, and solo playing are improved when I am playing - therefore we are brilliant.