Ever Been Badly Let Down?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rimshot, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

Anyone ever borrowed a player 4 a concert or contest, they turn up to the rehersal b4 then when you contact them on the day they'll b setting off in 10 mins only 2 not bother turning up at all, or awnsering any of your further calls? Most annoying- happened 2 our band last week! Nevermind though we still won the percussion prize without the player any way!!!!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Anyone
    any
    player
    rehersal b4
    concert
  3. brass journo

brass journo Member

I seem to recall the same scenario with another player on the day of our CD recording in 2000! seem to remember that was the start of the long trail that led us to having you full time.

maybe sometime's it's a blessing!!!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Don't know whether he'll thank me for speaking on his behalf (and i really hope i'm talking about the same person as you) but i believe that the person concerned was struck with a series of really unfortunate coincidences on the day.
    He was on the way to the contest but his car broke down on the way there...rang green flag to come and get him and in the process the battery of his mobile went flat rendering him unable to call anyone to explain as all the numbers were on said phone.
    For what it's worth he's gutted that he couldn't get there and has tried to contact people since to explain.
    He wouldn't do this sort of thing on purpose to anyone..this particular person lives for banding and loves helping others out whenever he can.

5. 2nd man down

...and if I might say so, it might have paid to find out some facts about the background of the event before diving in with size 11's on and starting the character assassination.

just a thought. :clap:

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Not the first time though matey...

7. 2nd man down

but to be fair there was not a thing he could have done about the circumstances that arose on Sunday. There is no way he could have legislated for what transpired.
    And I believe conversations have taken place with other members of the band to apologise and clear up what happened before this thread was created.

I don't want to get dragged in to this really, at the end of the day it's nothing to do with me, however I know how passionate he is about all things banding, he would never do this sort of thing on purpose or out of malice because he loves playing, I just felt it a little unfair to criticise without being in possession of the full facts.

8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Where's the character assassination, I must have missed it?

9. 2nd man down

The intonation of the thread (intended or not) is that he deliberately didn't turn up. This is not the case.

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

But that's not a character asassination.

11. 2nd man down

but surely anything said about a person (named or not) that isn't true or infers something that isn't true is an assassination of that individuals character?

I wouldn't like it said about me, I'm sure you wouldn't either.

The fact is he tried his best to get there and was let down by both his car and his phone. Really unfortunate coincidence I admit, but none the less, there was not a thing he could have done about it, and to infer that his not turning up was deliberate is both untrue and unfair.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Anyone
    any
    player
    rehersal b4
    concert
  13. brass journo

brass journo Member

I am not sure there was any insinuation - it was a general enquiry. Yes his incident did happen and has been cleared up since and resolved and yes all the information was known before this thread was posted and the player thanked for his efforts to get to the job.

I think you will find there is only one contributor (those trying to defend any possible parties) to this thread that has revealed any possible identity of any involved parties.

Going back to Rimshots original question, which I undertstood not to be realted to any indivials at all, I believe this is possibly a scenario that occurs frequently in many bands, more often than not due to crossed wires or bad communication.

I know I have come across the situation several times with various bands.

Sometimes we can all be guilty of booking players and not confirming details, and somethimes, to be fair, even as players with our own bands we can get dates mixed up and turn up on the wrong date or time or even venue. It goes on the same vein that a good banding friend of ours turned up to our wedding a week early! Other examples off the top of my head include one of our players booking a dep for the wrong date - though this was resurrected before the concert.

I think this was the general drift of this thread and certainly not a character assasination on any individual.

we all help bands out of the goodness of our hearts and desire to enjoy playing and I certainly don't believe anyone sets out to 'drop a band in it.'

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for that last post, and can we please try to keep the discussion as suggested in general terms? Thank you.

15. 2nd man down

I accept what you say, and yes If I hadn't said anything alot of people would have been no wiser as to the identity of the individual concerned, but the fact is the thread was posted, everyone in your band knows who it was aimed at, various people at the contest no doubt know who it was aimed at, and I and people that I play with know who it was aimed at...and i felt it needed clarifying that the statement that he didn't (and I quote) "bother turning up at all, or answering any of your further calls" was untrue, because to be fair that was a lot of people being mis-informed.
    Like I said, this issue really has nothing to do with me, i just didn't want all those people thinking badly of a friend of mine whome I know tried his utmost to get there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  16. IJK

IJK Member

This has been an interesting read, and one that has high lighted an emotional issue for one person. As I see it we are all allowed to post threads on tmp about issues of music nature. and when the first thread was posted by rim shot. He was expressing his fews on and issue. But was not aimed at any one. But it seems thanks to replys to the thread that more people know about an issue and the player who was involved. And I think those people should really say sorry to the person who they have high lighted more now, than when the first post was posted. I take my hat off to you guys you know how to put a friend first...

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

IJK puts a very valid point about posting threads about matters which apply to lots of bands but always start with an individual or group of individuals who have been effected by this.

I had a similar query and a few responses were on the lines of "how would you feel if we talked about you on a web forum?". It also happened with the Orange Juice thread. So how do we raise issues and get a response from the majority of the banders who know absolutely b all about the individuals and probably couldn't care less?

Anonymus posts as Newbies break the duplicate account rules of tMP but in the end a few people are going to be able to work out exactly who was involved.

If stuff happens and you feel the need to open it up for general comments surely this can be done without the need to stand up for the person in question, but maybe to ask pertinent questions or put general replies which cover the otherside.

18. 2nd man down

but there were still a lot of people who knew who this post was about and were being mis informed, does this not matter??
    It may have been meant as a generic question and I accept that but you can't get away from the fact that to the people who know who didn't turn up on Sunday it was being made to appear that he'd done it deliberately, and generic question or not, the individual doesn't deserve that to be said or thought of him.

19. IJK

IJK Member

Can't the person who you are trying to protect? but not! fight his own battle it would of only taken one thread entry from him not a lot of threads from people like me and 2nd man.

20. 2nd man down

I believe his pc is not allowing him to log on at the moment or he would have replied last night. He said he tried but couldn't get on. Doesn't have a great deal of luck deos he?? :-?

*edit* and that's 2nd man down to you thank you very much mr. IJK! ;) (Joke!! sheesh!!)

21. brass journo

brass journo Member

I ask again - and I'm not the moderator so ignore me if you feel necessary - but can we go back to the riginal generic query.
    I would be interested to learn if this happens - not by who, or why but just any misunderstandings that maybe have led to errors. I think Rimshot may also be interested as this was his original question.

22. I haven't personally let anyone down that i know of.. and i'm sure i would know about it if i had.
    In the selection of band i have been signed with i don't think we have ever been let down either- not on the day anyway.. usually given a few weeks/days notice to get someone else.

So, Apart from the one on sunday where i helped out (the one mentioned in the first link (and a few others)) never been let down otherwise. Just a shame about the very unlucky unbelievebale circumstances that arose.. unbelievable and unlucky!

But winning best percussion anyway... that's very impressive!!! did the little people help you out instead??? :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004