Events and tMPers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Just a thought.

Is there any credibility in the idea of having a designated tMP meeting place at contests? There is a tMP banner is there not? Can we just prop this, or something like it, by specific table in the bar/cafe area, or by the trade stands (or even a tMP tradestand?). This would certainly make spotting and meeting fellow members (as not all of us have photo avatars) a lot easier.

Your ideas please.
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

An eminently sensible idea. It has become obvious that most people who were at Harrogate, for instance, were too nervous to ask if someone they saw was a tMPer.

I know that a lot of the funny looks I got at Harrogate were for other than my appalling dress sense - well at least I hope so!

When I found you and Vicki waiting outside the warm-up room after we got off the stage it was really nice to actually meet someone I know only by their posts and to find what exceptionally nice people they were in the real world as well as in cyberspace.
  3. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

OOOO tMP Trade Stand (how to pay for it though... :-? ) manned by the tMP team and/or other volunteers all sporting their lovely polo shirts.. handing out cards/leaflets and providing a place to meet up. Alternatively, a meeting point like you get in train stations for lost banders. "Could Mr. Lost Person from The Band That Lost Him please go to the tMP Meeting Point?".

That sort of thing? Great idea Dinie!
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Get a few kegs together... start a tmp bar! With discounted drinks for "Friends for Life" of course! ;)

Anyway, it does sound like a good idea, although sometimes it seems wherever I go people recognise me somehow... it's a bit scary!
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Might have something to do with that picture in your avatar Lynchie ;) Mind you, saying that - Tim recognised me when I was in the Flixton bandroom and I look slightly older than mine...
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Great idea!
  7. Di

Di Active Member

What a really nice thing to say Mike. Thank you. After all the banter we have shared on various threads, particularly the tune association, it was great to finally meet you too.

As for trying to spot a tMPer, I am embarrassed to say that I did approach someone and boy did I feel an idiot. When I did actually spot who I was looking for, (only having seen distant piccies), it was so blindingly obvious I felt even more stooooooooooopid. :oops:
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Everyone could wear their tMP lapel badges and ties to recognize each other...
  9. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Or carry a copy of the winning entry of the tMP Composition Comp?? Good idea though, having a meeting place - might I suggest outside the Armani shop in Birmingham on a cold November afternoon???

Rach x
  10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

You forgot to suggest a coded passphrase - may I suggest:

"The flugel is indeed the best instrument in the band"
    "Aaaah you are very right, comrade!"
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

meaning 'prime friends' get free beer?
  12. mikelyons

You would, of course, have to find out the latin word for fluel horn :) to make it sound erudite.
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I shall leave that for the linguists - although maybe if I say Flugelus Hornicus or something I'd get away with it. I shall of course be seen wearing my red cape ;) (which doesn't exist right now but I'm working on it...ok I said that just to get some people worried but you never know!)

Alternatively I shall be seen proudly sporting a tMP polo shirt, probably carrying something flugelhorn shaped and stuffing chocolate in my gob, washed down with a large ice cold Irn Bru - assuming that said event was occuring in an establishment that was classy enough to sell the other amber nectar
  14. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just to give you the tMP's teams perspective on this one.

Since the inception of tMP we have seriously considered and priced the availability of trade stands at various concerts. Unfortunately, as we have no way of producing an income from a trade stand, we would ultimately be 'out of pocket'.
    Being a non-commercial site also means outlaying capital to produce tMP merchandise which is again a very costly business, hence the pre-orders required for the Ties and Lapel Badges before we commit ourselves to part with several hundred pounds!

We are however still discussing several ideas on this issue, and I don't think it will be too long before you see some kind of tMP Trade Stand appearing at some of our major contests. Obviously, in due course there will be a winning composition for sale! and who knows, one day maybe even a CD!

We certainly welcome your comments and ideas, and of course if there are any potential sponsors willing to help, we would certainly be willing to listen.

15. Di

Di Active Member

I take the point on the trade stands, twas a rather tongue in cheek suggestion anyway :oops: .

But how about the designated meeting spot "Mr Magnificent Mod on the Spot on Sunday?" :-D (Bit of flattery should do the trick hmm;) ??).
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

what a good idea to have a meeting place..would certainly save the "well, i think that's him but i'm not sure..." thing that was going on at the nationals for 90% of the day!!

Stephen Clapton and I met in the bog...perhaps not the best place to meet!!!

But an obvious or pre-arranged meeting point is a cool idea!!!
  17. mikelyons

I agree with Dinie. Even if a Stand is out of reach just at the moment, a designated meeting place that we could 'unofficially' commandeer to make it easier to identify each other and less embarrassing when first introductions have to be made would be a good thing.

If some super hardworking moderator could 'case' any venue before-hand and let members know where we could congregate it would make meeting that much easier.
  18. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Why not have everyone proudly place a drinks straw in their pocket with a bit showing? Easy to explain away, subtle enough to go unnoticed, but easily spottable for those who are looking for it.
  19. Di

Di Active Member

Easy to do if you're wearing a jacket or shirt with a top pocket. ;) And I suppose there's a 1 in 28ish chance (narrowed of course by the male/female divide in bands) of getting a right name if you spot someone wearing a particular band uniform, but not all bands have a walking out thingy, and not all people at contests/events are playing.

But, a bit of blatant advertising:

Errrmm Roger, can I have a t-shirt please?:oops: ;)
  20. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Haven't you also met George Michael? :p ;)