Eva Cassidy's "OVER THE RAINBOW"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James McFadyen, Mar 18, 2003.

?

I am currenly being commissioned to arrange Eva Cassidy's version of "Over the Rainbow" (C

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

A little poll for you.....(If i've done it right!)

2. Heather

Heather Member

Please don't think I'm being awful but I've put 'no'.
    The only reason being my band already has a version of 'Over the Rainbow' .
    I have Eva Cassidys CD and 'Over the Rainbow' doesn't really sound any different to any other version of the song.
    She is however and fantastic singer but 'Fields Of Gold' to me would be a better choice.
    Good Luck anyway.

3. James McFadyen

Heather,

Fields of Gold is a great song, but since it's a commision, I don't really have the choice.

However, to be honest, Eva Cassidy's version is completly differant from every other rendition of it.......Perhaps I may do Fields of Gold, but since this will be an arrangement of an arrangement (like Over the Rainbow), I don't think I want to go through the Copyright palava again, but u never know!

Cheers for ur honesty, Heather!

4. Highams

Highams Member

If you do a solo with piano version (using those chords & melodic changes as on the CD) I'll buy it !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well I said yes, I think that it's a lovely piece, and nothing like the original (some may say worse not me I may add!).

the piano accomp. with solo sounds ace, that'd be cool, I'd definately buy it :D

Ben ;)

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Will it be a full band arrangement or a solo? If a solo, for which instrument?

7. James McFadyen

The arrangement is for a Cornet Solo with Brass Band acomp.

8. Thanks for reminding me of that song. I've just played it to remind myself how good it is - streets ahead of the original.
    I must agree it will make a terrific piece and will be a sure fire winner with almost any audience. Just ensure you make a good job of it - its too nice a song to spoil.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Isn't Ray Farr's arrangement for flugel (as on YBS's cd The Big Picture) based on the Eva Cassidy version? I know that Sonar brass have played a quintet version of it as well.

10. Libby

Libby Member

Why does it have to be for cornet????? :evil: What's wrong with horn?? :roll:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    OVER THE RAINBOW
    Eva Cassidy
    RAINBOW
    little poll
  12. James McFadyen

It's a commission, which leaves me no choice. It's Ideal as a Soprano solo and much less ideal for Horn. The original was fine on horn, but with Eva Cassidy's version, it's in an odd(ish) key and the guitar is Capo'd to make it even worse. The horns and baritones team up to provide the arpeggio comp, which cannot be written as it sound in the recording as a ny composer and arranger will testify, arranging music that is written for guitar is exactly that of the piano, it simply cannot be transcribed as is, it would sound drastic as hell.

But, to make all cinfucions clear, this is a commission and I cannot change that, but it really does sound lovely on the Cornet!

13. blondie

blondie Member

I too have just listened through the album, Iam completely captivated by Eva. Not just the voice but the way she lends herself to phrasing and so on. I voted YES, and would definately like to play the final arrangment. I imagine that the finished article will sound very impressive.

Best of Luck

14. James McFadyen

Thanks for the support, Blondie!!!! I have tested the first half of the arrangement with Tullis Russell Mills Band and it sound quite delicious indeed, quite gorgeous actually. But the cornet soloist who is commisioning the work from me is asking me to change the key which I don't blame him! However this causes a problem with the accompaniment.....***** typical! :)

15. Not on cornet.....no.

16. James McFadyen

Some of you are really against the Cornet, aren't you :lol:

Me Too!!! Trumpet is way way better....hehe

But honestly, it sound beautiful on Cornet.......When I've finished and obtained Copyright Approval, you can buy and listen for yourself :lol:

17. Nah, not on a trumpet either.

18. James McFadyen

Let me guess, Horn!

19. Hehe no, Flugel *ner ner* :p

20. James McFadyen

Ahh, yer a Flugel Player!, just as moany as horn anyway! hehe

21. Hehe no right first time, I'm a horn player. it's just the flugel is more suited for female voice songs.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    OVER THE RAINBOW
    Eva Cassidy
    RAINBOW
    little poll