Europeans 2014 Saturday ticket

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Chris Hicks, May 2, 2014.

1. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to get hold of a ticket for the saturday of the Europeans, ie, tomorrow!

Does anyone have one they're looking to get rid of?

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Not wishing to hijack Chris's thread, but if anyone's got two spares, I'll take the second one ;)
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hope you got a ticket. It appears this was some contest.

Does anyone know if the performances will be put up for downloading as they were last year?

Also surprised that there has been no comment on here about the event (not that I could find anyway!!).
  4. joelm01

joelm01 New Member

According to World of Brass's twitter feed, they were put up today or yesturday but there was a problem which they are trying to fix, so they should be up soon!

As for the event, as a first timer at the Europeans, I can safely say that it was a fantastic weekend. Muckle Flugga turned out to be an interesting piece, interesting being the key word, but it wasn't horrendous. It certainly tested the bands and you had to admire the playing.
    Saturday however, was by far the best contest I've ever been to. The playing all afternoon was an incredibly high standard, with the highlights being Lucerne's REM-Scapes (brilliant piece by Thomas Doss) and Dyke's performance was the best contest performance I've ever heard in my few short years of contest going. Triumph of Time as a piece is certainly a triumph!

As an observation, it was refreshing to experience a different (more enthusiastic to be specific) atmosphere at a contest. The average age was a lot younger than at contests in the UK (not being controversial or anything, just an observation as someone in their early 20's themselves) and the enthusiasm of the crowd (especially the dutch, armed with numerous flags draped over the balcony, whistles and horns) certainly gave it another level of excitement. Probably the best moment of the weekend was when the entire hall knowing what they'd just witnessed, stood up collectively to applaud Black Dyke.

Definately reccommend the Europeans to those who havn't been before!
  5. John Brooks

Thanks for that Joel. I appreciate your personal insights. John
  6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I did manage to get a ticket it in the end! I only watched 5 bands in the end on the day, the first three, tong, and eikanger! Gutted I missed lucerne, I meant to get in but wasn't concentrating!

Prior to the weekend I'd been dubious at the quality of this contest and whether it was really as high a standard as people had made out, and as I'd never been before I can confirm the standard is fantastic! But as said, what really makes it, is the crowd, the Europeans are just so much more appreciative then the uk crowds!

looking forward to hearing some recordings, I felt I need to hear dykes piece a few times to really appreciate it, wasn't 100% sold on it, that said, they played it amazingly! As did Cory with their performance off number 1!

If I ever get the chance to go again, I'll be going for sure! It was worth the 900 mile round trip just for those 5 bands!
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I got one too, in the end, thanks to the marvellous Mr Fraser of the SBBA, whom I mithered to death!

I'd agree with all the above. I went to Birmingham in 2007, and was sold on the European as a listening experience there and then. At the National or the Open, there isn't anything like the same atmosphere - many listeners are actively waiting and hoping for a cock-up, or are at least deeply partisan. The Dutch, Swiss and Danish supporters that I sat near were all cheering every band, and clearly having a cracking time.

Couldn't really argue with the result, either, although I think Willebroek were lucky and Paris unlucky in terms of the minor placings. Eikanger were outstanding on Friday, Dyke were outstanding on Saturday, and Luzern were outstanding both days. And what a great piece REM-Scapes is - clever, funky, witty, listenable and exhilarating. There were at least 4 world class performances on both days, and bands in the Open need to watch out for BML in 2015; if they play like they did on Saturday, they'll be very hard to beat.

Muckle Flugga is a great piece too, despite the controversy. It doesn't have a clear tonal centre, but it's not earsplittingly dissonant either, and the "Giants" part is great; some of the glittery, bleak "North Pole" sounds are really effective.
  8. John Brooks

Would love to take in a Euro w/end; that's high on my bucket list but not even in my wife's !!
  9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Do you remember the good old days when English bands only had to turn up to win this contest and all those continental bands were there just to make the numbers up? In the first ten years of the contest English bands won nine times, with Wales taking the trophy on the other occasion. In the past ten years, the trophy has gone to Wales (4 times), Belgium (twice), Norway and Switzerland (once a piece) and England just twice. Does anyone else detect a trend?
  10. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Most of the wins are still England/Wales.

11. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

Nobody does support quite like the Dutch... you should try sharing a coach with them! ;)

I agree with the general view in this thread regarding Muckle Flugga. Although, understandably, a lot of people had (and still have) their doubts about the piece, I found it an extraordinary work. I would say that, if you know the story it depicts, it is one of the most descriptive pieces I've come across in brass banding. Very much enjoyed working on it.

Regarding the status of the European Championships and the gradual shift of power towards the continental bands, I am not surprised at all. Having played amongst the 'foreigners' for about 9 months now, it is clear that things are still very much on the rise. We regularly play to sold-out audiences, and aren't afraid to throw in a couple of 'modern' pieces here and there. Also, the committment and organisation within the band (as in other continental bands I'm told) is superb.

A big congratulations to Luzern for bringing the title to yet another country. Let's hope that trend continues next year...
  12. Statto

Statto Member

13. John Brooks

I've recently been listening again to my European Championship recordings. Really interesting! The early years are far from complete but I have some from 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1988. Then 1990 on is, I believe complete. I'm currently listening to 1995 and the improvement in the non-UK bands is clearly noticeable. I'm sure I once had all the earlier recordings as well, just don't know where the LP's ended up :(
  14. John Brooks

15. Statto

Statto Member

WoB tunes tweeted these 'pre-release' links. Will no doubt appear more formally on their website in due course but the links definitely work:)

Muckle Flugga is a steepish learning curve (both players and listeners!) but, actually, a fantastic piece of music. The composer said it's not programmatic but it's certainly very descriptive. The drowning of the giants and the laments afterwards is genuinely moving and it's amazing the complexity that can be achieved with just two time signatures!

Worth reading the excellent analyses by Paul McGhee (BBW magazine) and Paul Hindmarsh (British Bandsman) and then get yourself a study score (Kirklees Music) before settling down for a listening session!
  16. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

I'd heard there was a nice little exchange developing on this thread so clicked on for a look. Thank you all! No stupidly provocative comments purely designed to stir up trouble. You've convinced me I need to experience the Euros. Thanks again!
  17. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

It's certainly worth experiencing!
  18. John Brooks

I've been listening to performances of Muckle Flugga and the own choice. Enjoying Muckle Flugga more and more as I listen. I've also listened to the top 7 own choice performances and have to wonder how on earth the judges do their jobs. Each piece was so different and, taking out the subjective element that will always be present, it must be an almost impossible task as they listen to performances of music, some of which has never been heard before, and performed at such an incredibly high standard. The judges should all be named "Mr. Phelps" as it is in many ways "Mission Impossible". The set piece is hard enough to judge, but at least there you have variables of interpretation and mistakes by the players to quantify. The whole thing is similar to an Olympic event, where the first and last places are separated by less than a second and it needs a machine to measure the difference. No machine here though. Just some gifted musicians listening and, most probably, being as amazed as some of us at the shear quality of the music. My thanks to the composers, conductors and all the players for such an enjoyable listening experience and to the judges for doing their best to select the best from so much quality and diversity. I stand amazed!
  19. Statto

Statto Member

Flights, accommodation and tickets booked for Freiburg next year then John:) Promises to be quite an event with two Swiss bands in attendance and the contest taking place very close to the Swiss border!
  20. euphoria

euphoria Member

Have the tickets been put up for sale already???