Europeans 2004 - congratulations to YBS (again)!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by PeterBale, May 2, 2004.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Results from Glasgow:

1st YBS: 97;98 Total 195 (Music of the spheres)
    2nd Willebroek: 94;95 Total 189 (Montage)
    3rd Scottish Co-op: 95;93 Total 188 (Dove descending)
    4th Faireys: 89;96 Total 185 (Revelation)
    5th Lyngby Taarbaek: 93;88 Total 181 (Dove descending)
    6th Cory: 90;89 Total 179 (Revelation)
    7th Lucerne: 88;91 Total 179 (Revelation)
    8th de Waldsang: 92;86 Total 178 (Harrison's Deam)
    9th Gothenburg: 86;92 Total 178 (Montage)
    10th Stavanger: 87;85 Total 172 (Dove descending)
    11th First Old Boys Seacat: 84;84 Total 168 (Diversons on a Bass theme)

Biggest surprise in the hall was that Cory's were only placed 6th on the set work when many had them at least neck and neck with YBS. Good weekend's music making nevertheless.

Managed to congratulate Kerwintootle on their 3rd place; soloist's prize awarded to David Childs, and B section won by the Iceland band,although I had the Italians ahead (complete wth french horns, but with excellent players across the board, and a very tough programme).

2. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Peter interested to know. What order did you have the bands???
    After reading 4 bars rest, Cory should have been higher placed?

What did you reckon?

3. PeterBale

I had Cory up with YBS on the set work; today they seemed to start a little insecurely, but were awesome from the solos onward. Several bands who I had felt struggled a bit yesterday did much better on their own choice today, but the men in the box obviously saw it differently. I was able to congratulate Philip Sparke on "Music of the Spheres", which was rather a brave choice, but then that's Dave King. Sheona White first class, and brilliant work by YBS percussion both days.

4. The biggest surprise is Lyngby-Tårbæk.... Godt gået ;)

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I think even the YBS guys were a little supised by the margin, I've been on the phone with a mate who played. I'm sure they'll be having the usual drunken riot!! They deserve it.

Well done Co-op too a fine result to take Cory's mantle of second in Europe!

6. PeterBale

A special "well done" to Co-op's solo horn for being the only one to take the top "D" - obvious part-switching from the other two bands. As for the Danish band, I had them higher than the rest of the 4barsest team, ad reckon their placig s very well-deserved.

7. Flugelatbr

Flugelatbr New Member

Well done YBS - again.............big yawn.........

Sounds like Cory were stuffed up again - hard luck guys. Please will someone else win next year. PERHAPS ybs should not be invited back next year, give someone else a chance..............

8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm sure the best band won. Well done YBS. Just waiting on my (probably) drunken flatmates to return home from Glasgow (one YBS and one Fairey) for the taunting to begin............

9. Scotty

Scotty Member

Congrats to YBS again they were awesome on friday night..........didn't get to hear them on saturday and they weren't half bad at the concert either, Peter Roberts was truly brilliant. I'm disappointed for Cory cos they played excellently on Friday but these things happen.

As for the Co well done guys you did Scotland proud :D

10. It's great to see a new work premiered and such a risk taken...

It's even better that this risk was rewarded (and I'm sure it was very deservingly) with yet another win to YBS.

Perhaps a timely wake-up call to the bands still flogging Revelation and Dove Descending - be brave!

It would be interesting to compare the adjudicator's notes for the Cory performances with that from 4barsrest. Perhaps from the judges position they may have sounded too overblown??

surely YBS's win is another positive step into the future for banding...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dove
    Glasgow: 1st
    Montage) 3rd
    Scottish Co-op
    Harrison's Deam) 9th
  12. Didn't Sheona take it also back in 2000? (Know you mean at this years EBBC)

13. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Sheona White did play that top D in 2000 and that performance was very good!

14. So... because a band is blatantly the better of the lot, worked extremely hard and are lucky to have fantastic players, they should be disadvantaged and not invited back?! :?

Welldone YBS! Have no doubt you fully deserve your result!!

15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Congrats to YBS.

We're absolutely delighted with third. I thought we did a great job over the two days.

Thanks to our supporters :wink: :roll:

16. weemarky

weemarky Member

in the words of the SBBA president YBS were "...no bad!". (any1 at the concert/results will no wot i mean).

seriously well done to YBS tho. the question is will they do it agen? probably. will any1 ever equal this acheivement? probably not!

Hard luck Cory. i think the only 3 ppl who thought u werent in the top 3 were in a certain black box when u were playing. but thats banding.

weemarky

17. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Congratulations to YBS from the eikanger band.

impressive!!

Also congratulations to scottish co-op.
    (I guess Tormod did his things very good, as usual.)

Frode

PS
    About playing new pieces:
    I believe eikanger premiered Variations on an enigma in Lucerne 1988.
    That did pay off. :wink:

18. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Thanks Frode.

Tormod was a star on both days. Wow, that guy has the best Yorkshire accent for a Norwegian

19. Stu-ton

Stu-ton New Member

It was a great weekend overall!! I personally was wanting YBS to win but i started to have wee doubts with Cory's perforance! I was talkin to few Welsh folk who were quite upset with the result. One of them mentined that the band were shell shocked and also said David Childs was the worst, he was sooooooo gutted last nite! But they put on a good performance today at the Acadamey for the farewell festival!

Stuart Logan

20. Stu-ton

Stu-ton New Member

Forgot to say, felt for the Swiz band thought they had good weekend!

21. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah to say we were pleased is an ickle understatement... (as most people in the bar when results were announced will know!)
    I was hoarse within 5 minutes of the announcement! :D
    Big well dones to the Co :D and i thought Cory were very unlucky on the test piece placing. But I've no doubt we'll see them again there next year, where according to Jenkins, theyre going to stuff it up us :D

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dove
    Glasgow: 1st
    Montage) 3rd
    Scottish Co-op
    Harrison's Deam) 9th