European Solo Competition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by weemarky, Apr 27, 2004.

1. weemarky

weemarky Member

does any1 no anything about who got thru the 1st round yesterday? the second round should be going on just now. would b there but im stuck at skool. lucky me.

thanx 2 any1 that nos

2. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

hey mark

the ones I remember are Andy King, Richard Brown and Peter Collins from England. I think all the Belgians got through as well and the two german trombone players :? 16 from the 28 qualified though.
  3. Moy

Moy Active Member

2nd Round - The Qualifiers for Semi-Finals

Raf Van Looveren Belgium Cornet - 98pts
    Bert Van Thienen Belgium Cornet Eb - 97pts
    Nàndor Nèmeti Germany Bass Trombone - 96pts
    Andrew King England Tenor Trombone - 95pts
    Andrea Matter Switzerland Horn Eb - 94pts
    Nick Ost Belgium Euphonium - 93pts
    Thomas Andersen Norway Tuba - 92pts
    Johannes Kronfeld Germany Tenor Trombone - 91pts

Courtesy of 4barsrest -
  4. weemarky

weemarky Member

thanx 4 that. i looked in 4br but couldnt find it. kool new layout they've got tho eh?
  5. Razor

Razor Member

Heard some of the solo competition yesterday. Of those that I heard 4 players stood out for me......

Raf Van Looveren - Cornet

Nàndor Nèmeti - Bass Trombone

Andrew King - Tenor Trombone

Nick Ost - Euphonium

My money's on Andrew King!

Hoping the Bass Trombonist gets through to the final so that I can hear Bill Gordon's 'Spirituals for Bass Trombone and Band' in the concert tomorrow night.
  6. Moy

Moy Active Member

Have heard that Andrew played well today in Glasgow and is through to the last 3.
    Well done Andy and good luck. :wink:

edited 'cause spelling was cr** :wink:
  7. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Well done to all the guys and gals from Scotland,it was a very hard field and there is no shame--better luck next year.
  8. tonetastic

tonetastic New Member

Do we know the final three yet?
    Well done to everybody who took part!
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

I know it's Andrew King and I am pretty sure its a sop and a Bb Cornet to make up the 3 for the final.
  10. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

yeah it's the top man and soprano from Willebroek
  11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Did you here them as I heard young Mr King played a stormer?
    Although I did hear the other 2 were quite brill as well.
  12. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

Im travelling up tommorow for the solo's, so lots of fun to be had. If i can get parked of course. :eek:)
  13. McChambo

McChambo Member

Heard the 3 finalists last night. They all sounded very good indeed. It should be very close between the three of them.

I will be completely biased and say my money's on Raf.
  14. Scotty

Scotty Member

So it's Andy, Raf and his Sop player buddy! God that will be close, they are three awesome players and i wouldn't like to be judging! Good luck to them all!
  15. KennyC

KennyC Member

I think it will be extremely difficult to pick a winner from those three. They were all fantastic last night, but each with different qualities. Three completely different styles of music as well. Pity about the tuba player pulling out. I was looking forward to playing that fantastically lyrical piece too :evil:

Kenny - Whitburn Band
  16. McChambo

McChambo Member

The tuba player must have withdrawn due to an 'astronomical anxiety'. Maybe he got the reading of his horoscope mixed up with the synopsis of that papophony.
  17. Richard Dyson

Richard Dyson Member

I can't get the tuba piece out of my head. I was whistling the tune all last night. I think it is something that we should be playing at Whitburn Gala Day this year. :wink: The prophecy at the end of the piece certainly will come true if we play it again! :evil:
  18. tonetastic

tonetastic New Member

Do we know who won yet?
    How as the concert?
  19. tonetastic

tonetastic New Member

Ok, just heard the results,
    1st Raf van lovern (cornet Willebroek)
    2nd Andy King (Trombone)
    Well done to everybody!
  20. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hey that was quick and you had a rehearsal tonight with my good pal. :wink:
    Disappointed for Andrew King but well done to all the soloists. I have been told that the last 8 were all quite superb players.