European championships 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by trm, Apr 30, 2008.

1. trm

trm Member

Seems this event will be available as a live internet video stream, same as the norwegian championships.

As of this moment no link has been made present, but further information should be posted here:

Information available in norwegian only at the moment though...:confused:
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My Norwegian isn't very good, but combining my knowledge of English, Dutch and German, I think I can more or less translate the following bit:

European Championship live through the internet
    For the first time in history, the whole of Europe can follow the european champiosnhip for brass bands live through the internet. In cooperation with the Stavanger Aftenblad (a newspaper I presume?) and TV-Vest (tilbyr?) teh Norwegian band association web-tv from the european championship in Stavanger. Read More

We will transmit live from the contest, starting from friday afternoon in the Stavanger concert hall. The transmissions will continue all of Saturday, concluding with a gala concert and the prize ceremony

3. Rob

Rob Member

This should be the general meaning of the other bits! (Please no slagging from the Norwegians on here if it's a load of rubbish, done in a quick break from studying! (haha :)))

- For første gang i historien kan hele Europa følge EM for brassband direkte på internett. I samarbeid med Stavanger Aftenblad og TV-Vest tilbyr Norges Musikkorps Forbund web-tv fra EM i Stavanger.

- As Jan said

- Denne uken er 15 av Europas beste musikkorps på plass i Stavanger for å delta i verdens mest prestisjefylte arrangement for brassband. Det er første gang at EM for brassband arrangeres i Stavanger, og mesterskapet er ett av årets største arrangementer i forbindelse med at Stavanger er Europeisk Kulturhovedstad i 2008.

- This week, 15 of Europe's best bands are in Stavanger to take part in the world's most prestigious brass-band event/gathering. This is the first time that the European Championships have been held in Stavanger, and the contest is one of the year's biggest events in connection with Stavanger being European Capital of Cukture for 2008.

- Interessen for brassband-musikk er stor i Europa, og for første gang kan interesserte følge EM på internett.
    - Vi vil sende direkte fra konkurransen som starter fredag ettermiddag i Stavanger konserthus. Sendingen fortsetter hele lørdag, og avsluttes med festkonsert og premieutdeling om kvelden, forteller kommunikasjonssjef Stig Ryland i Norges Musikkorps Forbund (NMF).

- European interest in brass-band music is high, and for the first tome those interested can follow the Euros on the internet.
    - As Jan said...

- Sendingen er et samarbeid mellom NMF, World of Brass, Stavanger Aftenblad, TV-Vest og den europeiske brassbandorganisasjonen (EBBA).
    - Web-tv tilfører EM en ny dimensjon. Her kan hele Europa følge hver eneste tone som spilles i Stavanger, og ikke minst kan seerne på direkten få med seg hvem som vinner årets EM. Vi håper dette er starten på noe nytt og banebrytende som vil øke interessen ytterligere for brassband i Europa, sier Ryland.

- The broadcast is a joint venture between NMF (the Norwegian music organisation- thingy :)), WoB, Stavanger Afternblad (a paper) and EBBA.
    - Web-TV will give the Euros a new dimension, as the whole of Europe can follow ever note played in Stavanger, and viewers can see for themselves who wins this year's European. We hope this is the start of ???? :))) that will increase interest in brass bands in Europe, said Ryland (the guy who said the quote Jan did)

- Stavanger Brass Band forsvarer Norges ære under konkurransen. De oppnådde andreplass under fjorårets EM. Bandet spiller også på festkonserten lørdag kveld sammen med den kjente jazztrombonisten Nisse Landgren. Her deltar også Grimethorpe Colliery Band fra England.

- Stavanger Band are representing Norway in the competition, and took second place in last year's Euros. The band are also playing in the gala concert on Saturday evening with the well-know trombonoist Nisse Landgren. Grimethorpe are also taking part.

Hope this helps anyone who is interested, sorry to anyone offended by any dodgy translations:)
  4. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Bravo Rob! You truly are the C3PO of Banding!
  5. axelo

axelo Member

Wow, I really can't wait! My eyes will be squares after the weekend :D
  6. trm

trm Member

Just an update preceding the start of transmissions at 16:30 local time (GMT +2 I believe).

Seems the weblink is situated here:

Additionally I must applaud the translations done in the last couple of days. Even more linguistically pleasing than the norwegian original in my opinion :clap:
  7. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

He (Rob) is showing off !!!!
  8. Tim Pritchard

Tim Pritchard Member

Any ideas if it will work on a mac?
  9. Jan H

If the Windows Media Player plugin works on a Mac (and I don't see why it wouldn't), it should work fine...

I'm watchin Willebroek right now. Sounds pretty good :tup

this is today's draw:

1700: Kirkintilloch Band (Scotland, dirigent: Howard Taylor)
    1725: Grimethorpe Colliery Band (England, dirigent: Allan Withington)
    1740: Brass Band Willebroek (Belgia, dirigent: Frans Violet)
    1815: Stavanger Brass Band (Norge, dirigent: Garry E. Cutt)
    1840: Stockholm Brass Band (Sverige, dirigent: Kent Jonsson)
    1930: Brass Band Fribourg (Sveits, dirigent: Arsene Duc)
    1955: Brass Band De Waldsang (Nederland, dirigent: Rieks van der Welde)
    2020: Brass Band Buizingen (Belgia, dirigent: Luc Vertommen)
    2045: Lyngby-Taarbæk Brass Band (Danmark, dirigent: Christian Schmiedscamp)
    2110: Cory Band (Wales, dirigent: Dr. Robert Childs)
    2135: Brass Band Oberösterreich (Østerrike, dirigent: Hannes Buchegger
  10. I'm at work watching it... but through my rubbish speakers all the bands sound the same. If I was adjudicating from my desk I'd say it'll be a draw... Well done everyone.
  11. Rob

Rob Member

Haha, so what does playing your 'prize-winning' solo in Journey to Freedom at the beginning of every rehearsal count as?? :) I think you should have gone to the Europeans to play that especially, followed by the Iceberg as an encore - that'd show 'em!!
  12. Just listened to cory i thought they sounded awsum!!!
  13. thebandboy

thebandboy New Member

Could well see that Cory have swiped the competition - What a fab performance!
  14. I have just witnessed the most, the best brass band coverage of a 'major' ever!!!!!!!!!

That was the dogs wotsits in terms of presentation!!!

Grimethorpe great, Cory Awsesome, Oberoserwatsethername Austria pure brilliance!!!!

Personally I don't care who wins based on that. Norway has the best way of promoting brass band ever!

And if u got broad band well that was awesome!

Off to bed now cos it gonna be a long but beautiful internet day 2morrow!!!!
  15. robcav

robcav Member

Any body know if there is a listen again feature on the aftenbladet website? My Norwegian isn't as good as some of the previous contributors.
  16. axelo

axelo Member

I have no idea, but after the Norwegian Champs they had it after the competition was over. Keep your eyes open!

I missed the first two bands, but I thought that Cory blew the others away! Philip Cobb was superb and the finish was just that! Well done :clap:

Let's hope my swedish friends will play at their best tomorrow. Looking forward to a day full of great music tomorrow!
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Has tomorrow's own-choice contest been cancelled then? ;)
  18. Jan H

no ;) Here's the draw:

12.00: Grimethorpe Colliery Band - Vienna Nights
    12.25: Kirkintilloch Band - Music of the Spheres
    12.55: Brassband Oberösterreich - Dreams
    13.20: Stockholm Brass Band - The Year of the Dragon
    13.50: Brass Band Buizingen - Concerto Grosso
    14.45: Lyngby-Taarbæk Brass Band - Apocalypse
    15.10: Stavanger Brass Band - Music of the Spheres
    15.40: Brass Band Willebroek - Music for Battle Creek
    16.05: Brass Band de Wâldsang - Music for Battle Creek
    16.35: Cory Band - Music for Battle Creek
    17.00: Brass Band Fribourg - Vienna Nights

(people in the UK need to substract 1 hour from those times :D )
  19. I hope Stockholm will do a nice version of the Year of the Dragon, as it is my favourite piece:)
  20. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

WOW. Just heard Grimey on Vienna Nights. Brilliant stuff.