European Brass Band Contest 2006, Belfast

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Baritonedeaf, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Thought i would start a thread on the EBBA European Brass Band Contest 2006 in Belfast

The A and B Section contests, Gala Concert and Farewell Concert are being held at The Waterfront Hall between the 27th and 30th April 2006.

It sounds pretty fantastic and I am doubly excited as it will be the First European that I have attended - My wife and I are going to cheer on my Best Man Pete S with Leyland! Flights, Hotel and Tickets are booked - a fine Birthday present for me! :)

The schedule of events is pretty full - with the main contests on the Friday and Saturday. The hosts, the Northern Ireland Bands Association have a good website with all the details.

Anyone else planning to go?

Perhaps we could get some predictions on here as well - will Black Dyke retain their title or will YBS return and pick up where they last left the Europeans... Will Eikanger, Cory or Leyand have a say? Will Brass Band Willebroek be the winners?

Can't wait! :tup

2. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Having een to a number of Europeans in the past and eagerly awaiting this years I can confidently say your in for a great weekend of banding.:clap: In my opion the best contest in the calender, a great new Test Piece (fingers crossed) and then the variety of the own choice.:tup

Bring it on>:biggrin:

3. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

I got a feeling that YBS will be out for the Dyke scalp big time, and it might just be there route back to the stop and kick start there year!

4. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Try as they might, i just cant see past Dyke retaining their title....

Im heading over for the weekend, cant wait!

If the saturday night party is anything like the one in Glasgow a few years ago then it will be great :)

Oh aye, and of course the contest should be good too, heheh

Jane

5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We are staying in your Hotel Mrs Aqua76! The Belfast Radisson anyway - if that fall under your job of Hotel Controller for SAS Radisson - is it nice?

Can't wait...

6. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Yes its a lovely hotel!! Opened in 2004 and not too far from the hall.

I am staying there too - was super organised and booked it last year!!!

Euros are great contest, and even more so seeing as i will (hopefully) be playing at them next year with the Co-op (courtesy of our win yesterday :) )

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'll be rooting for my friends in Willebroek of course ;)
    They signed some new players recently and Frans will make sure that they are in top form by May...

The line-up this year looks great!

8. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Well when it is in Brum I will of course find it even easier to attend! Perhaps I will have to ee if teh organisers want a local band for the Gala Concert.... Sure that City of Brum would be able to free up the evening if required! :biggrin:

9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Ooooh

Am getting excited now - the own choice lists are out - cannot wait to hear some of the pieces live - Am really looking forward to hearing Extreme Make Over again and the new Downie piece...

Championship-Section:
    Earthquake (Jan de Haan)
    Eden (John Pickard) 2x
    Extreme Makeover (Johann de Meij)
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Peter Graham) 2x
    Music of the Spheres (Philip Sparke) 2x
    Riffs and Interludes (T. Aagaard-Nilsen)
    The Promised Land (Kenneth Downie)

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2939

Cannot wait! - Although i hear that the set test is a bit hard to like...

10. Jan H

ahem, this was also reported already on tMP:
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20374

;-)

"Earthquake" is not a new piece (like suggested in the 4BR report), but it was the set piece for last year's Dutch nationals.
    I heard it at a open rehearsal by Brass Band Limburg, but some key players were missing, so it was difficult to form an oppinion. Some special effects in the percussion to depict the earthquake, some solo's for cornet and euphonium,... It was quite well received by most Dutch bands.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Contest
    European
    Willebroek
    Belfast
    BAYV2
  12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Apologies!

Really looking forward to hearing two bands play off on three pieces as well as the fresh ones.

Cannot wait to be honest. Are you going Jan?

13. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Saturday should be a good day - got my tickets through a few days ago.

Dont think we are going to go on Friday night, by all accounts the piece is a bit pants, plus i will be embracing the cheap(er) beer (am in Norway for 5 days before i go to the Euros!)
    with some of my esteemed colleagues from the Co-op!!

But saturday will be good - im looking forward to hearing Extreme Makeover as well, and Eden (fantastically tremendous piece!) although must confess to not being a huge fan of Music of The Spheres, just doesnt do owt for me im afraid.

Anyway, sure we will all have a top time.......

Better go - due to the 4 feet of snow at Ben Nevis im now heading north tomorrow morning to go boarding - YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jan H

accepted :biggrin:

Unfortunately, I will be in the US for a business trip around that time.
    But from over there, I will be supporting Willebroek and, not to forget, Kevin Houben who is in the final of the composers competition...!:clap:

15. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Don't know if we're aloud to but sod it....
    Who do we reckon The Promised Land is for....... I think it could be a quite cliched title for a yorkshire based band........ and the road to a new era? possilbly?

16. aqua76

aqua76 Member

I know what two of the bands are doing for their own-choice piece.......obviously cant say!!

But not sure who is doing the new pieces......should make interesting listening though..

17. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

PM me .... lol or not!!!
    hmm i made a list of hu i reckon might be playing what... I'll see after the day!
    Like it says Band Geek!!

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Please remember: It is not tMP policy to reveal own choice selections, so even if you do know who's playing what - and we know some as well;) - DO NOT post them on here!

19. Jan H

There's only one new piece...
    The others are newish, but have been played at contests before ;-)

20. aqua76

aqua76 Member

No reminder necessary!

21. theweeprofessor

theweeprofessor New Member

My predictions for this years contest
    1st BAYV (about time I think)
    2nd Black Dyke
    3rd YBS

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass Band Contest