European Brass Band Contest 2005, Groningen (NL) - 'Official' tMP Thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The events in Groningen, in the North of the Netherlands, already started last saturday, but here is a short summary of the main events that will take place later this week. In the absence of the defending champion, YBS Band, will this be the year of Black Dyke to officially crown themselves 'Best brass band in Europe'? Or will Willebroek, after two 2nd places in the past 2 years, take the title for the 2nd time in its history? What will BAYV and Stavanger do and does any of the other bands stand a chance? Here is the place to discuss it!

Contest Schedule

Friday 29th April - 18:00h
    Championchip section - Test piece: 'Extreme Makeover' (Johan De Meij)

Saturday 30th April - 9:30h
    B-section - Own choice program & Test piece 'Match-rhythm' (Jan Bosveld)

Saturday 30th April - 14:00h
    Championship section - Own choice piece

Own choice pieces championship section:
    The Essence of Time (Peter Graham)
    Concerto Grosso (Derek Bourgeois)
    Ginnungagap (Johan Evenepoel)
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Peter Graham)
    Music of the Spheres (Philip Sparke)
    St. Magnus (Kenneth Downie)

Participating bands

Championship section
    Buy As You View Band (Wales)
    Black Dyke Band (England)
    Brass Band Aeolus (France)
    Brass Band Treize Etoiles (Switzerland)
    Brass Band Willebroek (Belgium)
    Brassband Rijnmond Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
    Lyngby Taarbeak Brass Band (Denmark)
    Stavanger Brass Band (Norway)
    Whitburn Band (Schotland)

Third Carrickfergus Band (Northern Ireland)
    Oberschwaben-Allgäu Band (Germany)
    Torshavn Brass Band (Faroe Islands)
    Brassband Oberösterreich (Austria)
    Arklow Shipping Silver Band (Ireland)
    Brass Babd 'Frener-Reifer' Pfeffersberg (Italy)
    Berga Brass (Sweden)

Main side events

Thursday 28th April
    Gala Concert and Final of the European Conductors Competition
    with Amsterdam Brass & solist David Daws

Pieces conducted by the three finalists:

Chain (Piet Swerts)
    James Cook – Circumnavigator (Gilbert Vinter)
    The [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]Year of the Dragon (Philip Sparke)

Saturday 30th April
    Grand Gala Concert
    with The Black Dyke Band and Brass Band De Bazuin Oenkerk (NL)

Sunday 1st May
    Farewell Concert
    with the European Youth Brass Band (EYBB), Brass Band Willebroek (B) and Provinciale Brassband Groningen (NL)

The Set Piece 'Extreme Makeover'

A lot has been said already about Johan De Meij's test piece 'Extreme Makeover', especially about the use of tuned water bottles in a certain part of the piece. In the past days, I spoke to a couple of people who have been rehearsing the piece, or who went to "try out" concerts by some of the participating bands. Apparently it's a very impressive piece, but extremely difficult to play (not only the tuned bottles part, but the rest as well). A real test for all bands it seems!

more info on the event at

Official EBBA Site:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005
  2. Jan H

Personally, I'm rooting for Willebroek (of course!). They've been playing extremely well in the past years, and especially at last year's Belgian national championships they were astonishing. I'm certain Frans Violet will once again manage to squeeze the very best out of his talented line up of players (Raf Van Looveren, Bert Van Thienen, Stijn Berbé, Stef Pillaert, ...)

p.s. mods, I tried to add a poll on which band is to become European Champion, but I think I don't have the appropriate privileges for that...
  3. postie

postie Member

My own feeling is because it's Black Dyke 150th year they will be very hard to beat. I have been reading the previews of the event in the Bandsman looke like being a cracking contest.
  4. lewis

lewis Member

Why is there never an English band in the B section?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... that's a really good question! What standard of band could be expected to 'qualify' and compete?
  6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I believe the B section was introduced for the newer brass banding nations - each country only has one representative in either section.
  7. Jan H

I think the B-section is only meant for "developping brass band countries" that have no championship section standard bands (yet). (In that light, I'm not so sure why the Swedish band is taking part in the B-section - what about Gothenburg?)

I think that, in the past, it happened a few times that the organising country was allowed to have an additional band in the B-section? Not sure about that though...
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Both Sweden and Northern Ireland asked if they could revert to the "B" section this year, but I'm not sure in Sweden's case whether that was because Gothenburg had accepted the invitation to play in New Zealand, and were unable to appear at both contests. It is true that the host nation has on occasion added additional bands to the "B" section, but I think that has only been when numbers attending would otherwise be extremely low.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I'm tipping Willebroek
  10. Jan H

Full coverage is now also available on 4BarsRest:

I'd like to comment on one remark about Brass band Willebroek in 4BR's "Introduction and dodgy predictions":

Now, it's true that most of the Willebroek players are quite busy outside the band too. A couple of them are professional musicians in an orchestra or military band. Several players play in other (brass, fanfare or wind) bands as well. For most of them this would be their "home town band", were they started to play (this is not in violation with registration rules !). For instance, Willebroek's flugel player also plays 1st flugel in my own fanfare band (Achel). Several players also conduct one or more bands (soprano Bert Van Thienen is an excellent conductor, and is currently taking part in the Euro Conductor's Competition). Most players are conservatory students or graduates, but some have "normal" day jobs like teaching (like principal euphonium Stef Pillaert) or IT stuff.

But as far as I know, they rehearse 1 time each week, like all other Belgian bands (nobody rehearses 2 times a week here...). So it's certainly not true that they are only a "project band" or something like that that only come together 2 or 3 times a year. They do several concerts and contest spread all over the year, but obviously not as many as the top UK bands. This year is especially busy for them, since they will compete in the EBBC, the Masters, Kerkrade, the new Flemish Open Championship in september and the Belgian Nationals (so I guess that means that they will do more contests then Black Dyke this year?). On top of that they record 2 CD's each year for Frank Bernaerts (with all the cheesy arrangements ;) )

I know 4BR made these "allegations" about Willebroek coming together only a couple of times per year before. I don't really know were they get this information from. Of course the band always make sure that they are on top of their form for a few selected occasions (especially for the national championships and the Europeans) with additional rehearsels, rehearsing each day the week for the contest, etc. But I'm sure this is no different from bands in the UK?

Anyway, more information about the band can be found on their website

(I am in no way officially connected to the band, I only know a couple of its players; and I'm a fan of course ;) )
  11. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I heard BAYV last night in open rehearsal.....they were awesome...even the tuned bottles were perfect. What interesting and effective sounds in the test piece...vibraphone played with a bow (cellist's?) and cornet players playing bottles...what a difference from London Overture in the early 90s.
  12. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I think Buy as You View will win, with Willebroek in second and Dyke third.

13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think that it will be difficult for another band top crack the top three other than Dyke, Willobreok and Cory.

I also, think that if you look at Dykes for in the major contests as of late (Open and Nationals), they have been lights out and I think they will win.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think it depends firstly on the set-work and how it is written ... i.e., suiting the soloists and ensemble work of the bands. If bands play to form in the open contest, it may hinge on the set-work to decide the winner.
  15. Active Member

Please make a point of visiting the World of Brass trade stand from Thursday evening.

On duty at the EBBC will be Carl Woodman, Ken Kendall (of R.Smith & Co. fame) and Bryan Stobart (son-in-law of Wilfred Heaton).

No pretty women this year, I'm afraid!
  16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I really hope Nick Childs &Black Dyke can pull this one off. in there 150th year+ the OPEN this year as well.
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Me too. Must say I enjoyed listening to 'Extreme Makeover' - was a tad apprehensive on the (long) way down sounth with regards the 'bottle' bits - but in a strange way it kind of worked, within the context of the piece - some really nice effects coming through. Will be a great piece to listen to - however I'm not sure about it's use as a test-piece - some bands are gonna lose valuable points due to how good or bad they can blow into a bottle! I know there's talk of taking the movement forward, and the European contest seems to be at the forefront of this, but I think this might be taking things a tad too far!
  18. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Good luck to Dyke. After being with them at the Open and Nationals last year I tip them for the title.
  19. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Latest information from drawmaster...

Draw positions known to tMP so far...

Willebroek - drawn 2nd
    Black Dyke - drawn 4th
    Buy as you View - drawn 5th
    Stavanger - drawn 6th
  20. Jan H

Good Luck to all participants!