European Brass Band Championships 2007 - B-section

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

European Brass Band Championships 2007 - B-Section

Venue: Birmingham Symphony Hall
    Dates: 5th May 2007 (10.00)
    Organised by: the European Brass Band Association and the British Federation of Brass Bands

Competing bands:

England: Phoenix West Midlands Brass (Conductor: David Mapelstone)
    Italy: Brass Band “Frener-Reifer” Pfeffersberg (Conductor: Bernhard Reifer)
    Northern Ireland: Laganvale (Metal Technology) Band (Conductor: Ernest Ruddock)

Phoenix West Midlands Brass was added to the line up after the withdrawal of bands from Lithuania and the Republic of Ireland. The band was invited by the British Federation of Brass Bands after its 2nd section title at the recent Midlands regional championships.

Programs:

The competing bands have to play a 30' program consisting of a short set piece, combined with a selction of own choice pieces.

Set Piece:
    The Drop by Simon Dobson (Faber Music)

Own Choice Pieces:
    Elan (Philip Harper)
    Emblem of Unity (J.J. Richards)
    Excalibur (Jan Van der Roost)
    Festmusik der Stadt Wien (Richard Strauss, arr. E. Banks)
    Finale from Fanfare, Romance and Finale (Philip Sparke)
    Mid All The Traffic (Len Ballantine)
    On With the Motley (Leoncavaillo, arr. R. Farr)
    Prelude on Tallis (Peter Graham)
    Silver Mountain (Goff Richards)
    Shine as the Light (Peter Graham)
    The Lark in the Clear Air (Trad., arr. Stephen Roberts)
    Three Kings Swing (William Himes)

Adjudicatiors:

Thomas Doss (Austria)
    Jan de Haan (Netherlands)
    Philip Sparke (UK)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ernest Ruddock
    David Mapelstone
    Brass Band Championships 2007
  3. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Had a go at the test piece for this section the other night. Its gonna be interesting to see how the bands tackle it. Some unusual stuff in there which will need a bit of thought to make it work.

Igg

4. Jan H

No comments about the B-section?
    there wasn't anything on 4BarsRest either...

This were the results:

1. Brass Band Frener-Reifer Pfeffersberg, Bernhard Reifer, 2, 92
    2. Phoenix West Midlands, David Maplestone, 2, 90
    3. Langanvale, Ernest Ruddock, 2, 88

5. yoshi77

yoshi77 Member

No offense but I thought the piece was rather ..... a bit odd

6. Veri

Veri Member

I listened to all of the B section as well as the main section. I quite liked the piece, although it was quite different to Dobson's other stuff. I think I had the bands in the same order as the result - I wonder how it was weighted between own choice and the test piece.

I really liked Mid All The Traffic, which I'd not heard before.

7. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I enjoyed the b section this year! The Italians where worthy winners in my eyes but the despite the poor turn out in this section the bands didnt disappoint with some fantastic playing!

8. Lotta

Lotta Member

As we played last in the section, we didnt get to hear any of the other bands but from what we heard of the Irish band backstage (3 kings swing) we were impressed!!

Our aim was to go out their and enjoy it. Who knows, as a band, we may never get to play on that stage again!!

We are absolutley over the moon with our result and feel we did ourselves proud.

There was a lot of negativity about us being invited to the competition by other websites but I ask you all.... if you got offered the invitation, would you turn it down?? I think not.

Having said that, the support we got before and after playing on stage was truely heart warming.

9. Lotta

Lotta Member

Its Leonard Ballantine version (SP&S) :)

As for the Drop.... we had the piece for 3 weeks and although it was different to anything we have ever played before, we really enjoyed taking on the challenge of it and we actually really like the piece! Talented young man Mr Dobson!!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I very much enjoyed the three bands in the B section, all of whom produced some fine playing. I felt the result was about right, with some of the playing in "Excalibur" being top class, whilst Laganvale seemed to take a while getting into their stride, and did not sound at all comfortable with "The drop". I agree about "Three Kings Swing" - excellent, with a great sense of style. All bands should be pleased with their achievements, and seemed to revel in the experience.

11. Jan H

Did the Italians play on French Horns, like did they did a couple of years ago?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ernest Ruddock
    David Mapelstone
    Brass Band Championships 2007
  13. Lotta

Lotta Member

Yes they did... you can see the pictures on 4BR on the storyboard for the B section

:)

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Their sop player also switched to piccolo trumpet for part of their programme - quite effectively, I must say!