European Brass Band Championships 2004 DVD

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Active Member

Here's the provisional track listing for the Double DVD;

1. Introduction
    2. Mardi Gras in New Orleans (Trad. arr Jan Magne Forde)
    Stavanger Brass Band, Conductor Selmer Simonsen
    3. Interview with Kenneth Downie
    4. St Magnus (Kenneth Downie)
    Winner of Set Test Piece, Yorkshire Building Society, Conductor: David King
    5. Cornet Concerto movements 1 & 3 (Denis Wright)
    Winner of Solo Contest, Raf Van Looveren (Cornet) accompanied by Whitburn Band, Conductor: Andrew Duncan
    6. Synneshallingen (Jens Synnes arr Pal Magne Austnes)
    Stavanger Brass Band, Conductor Selmer Simonsen, Tuba soloist: Pal Magne Austnes
    7. Interview with Russell Gray
    8. Airs and Dances movement 3 (Alan Fernie)
    Winners of B Section Set Test Piece, Torshavn Brass Band, Conductor: Ove Olsen
    9. Interview with Frank Renton
    10. Domen (Jan Magne Førde)
    Stavanger Brass Band, Conductor: Selmer Simonsen, Flugel Soloist: Margrethe Tønnesen
    11. The Swan (Saint Saëns arr Snell)
    Young Brass Soloist of the Year Katrina Marzella (Baritone),
    accompanied by National Youth Brass Band of Scotland, Conductor: Richard Evans
    12. Dundonnell from Hymn of The Highlands (Philip Sparke)
    Gala Concert, Yorkshire Building Society, Conductor: David King

1. Alba (Alan Fernie)
    National Youth Brass Band of Scotland, Conductor: Richard Evans
    2. Montage (Peter Graham)
    3rd Place Own Choice Test Piece, Brass Band Willebroek, Conductor: Frans Violet
    3. Interview with Jappie Dijkstra
    4. Hymns of Praise (Goff Richards)
    Gala Concert, National Youth Brass Band of Scoland, Conductor: Richard Evans
    5. Interview with David James
    6. Music of the Spheres (Philip Sparke)
    Winners Own Choice Test Piece, Yorkshire Building Society, Conductor: David King
    7. Interview with Markus Bach
    8. Selection from Celtic Fusion (Robin Dewhurst)
    Gala Concert, Yorkshire Building Society, Conductor: David King, Trumpet and Celtic Whistle Soloist: Neil Yates, Bouhdran Soloist: Martin O'Neil
    9. Results Ceremony
    10. Interview with David King
    11. Finale
    Gala Concert, House of Edgar Shotts & Dykehead Pipe Band with Kirkintilloch Band
    12. Flowerdale from Hymn of The Highlands (Philip Sparke)
    Gala Concert, Yorkshire Building Society, Conductor: David King , Soprano Soloist: Peter Roberts
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nice one. Any idea as to when it'll be released?
  3. Active Member

British Open
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

:tup Will be there!
  5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

When will the 'pre-orders' start going out? (Ordered mine already! :oops: :oops: )
  6. Active Member

When they are ready, which will be in time for the launch!
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Is the 'Flowerdale' finale used to back slow motion pictures of the band celebrated, as per last year.......I was so moved :cry: :wink:

I will be ordering a copy - part of me wishes there were more of the contest performances rather than loads of Gala Concert material. My personal preference ofcourse...anyone agree or do you think the balance is right?
  8. Active Member

Haven't seen it yet. Had too much work to do when the first edit discs arrived earlier this week!
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Send it to me, and I'll have a look for you!

No harm in trying is there! ;)
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

aaarrgghh, love that piece!! I may well buy the DVD just to watch them play it... :wink:
  11. Active Member

Just amended the track list for disc 2.
    We forgot the finale and David King interview! How could we? :oops:
  12. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I'm pretty sure Faireys were 2nd with Revelation?
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You're right there, Andy. Willebroek were 2nd overall, but 3rd in the Own Choice.
  14. Active Member

I have to be on my toes with you lot around!
    Fairey playing Revelation (2nd Own Choice) didn't make it to the DVD as we had Revelation on last years DVD.
    Willebroek coming 2nd overall was also another good reason to include Montage rather than Revelation.
  15. Active Member

Forgot to give you the link in order to pre-order although judging by the number of orders on the system already most of you have found it anyway!
  16. ULM

ULM New Member

DVD will be available in September ?
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

From earlier in the thread:

This year's British Open takes place on September 18th, so not long to go now before the DVD is released!
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

I’ve been lucky enough to have seen a pre-production copy of this DVD (courtesy of World of Brass) – and all I can say it’s that it’s a superb release. Last year’s release was very good and was, in my opinion, a shot in the arm for the movement – we’ve had contest CDs for ages – and a few VHS videos – but the introduction of DVDs takes the idea one step further – but this year’s contest DVD improves on the format in many ways.

The menus have been brought forward to reflect the image of the ‘Europeans’ – in-keeping with the sleeve designs of both the DVDs and CDs – and all menus carry background music while you’re waiting to make your choice of track, and the track titles that appear with each item also continue this ‘image’. The use of text and graphics in the performance of ‘Music Of The Spheres’ is a welcome addition that helps set the scene for the music.

As for the tracks themselves – and please correct me if I’m wrong, there appears to be more cameras involved this year – making for the introduction of more angles – and some of these angles are pretty spectacular – wait and see for yourselves!

The sound and picture quality are once again superb throughout and the choice of tracks, while duplicating most of those on the CD, give a wide selection of Contest and Concert music. My personal favourites have to be the two YBS test-piece performances – particularly the reading of St. Magnus – along with the concert items of Stavanger (worth seeing for Frank Renton’s dance moves alone!)

So well done World Of Brass on an excellent package!
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I shall be buying this soon! I'm sure the way forward is with DVDs. Might seem a strange reason for getting it, but players like myself, looking to improve all the time, well... why not study the best... posture, embouchure, etc., even better with the pause button! And with the extra angles, it'll make it all the more rewarding!

Nevertheless, music and content wise, the fact that the DVD promises a wide selection of contest AND concert tracks makes it doubly appealing. I was unfortunately unable to attend due to other commitments. This defintely sounds like the next best thing! Well done, and thank you WoB! It's rare for me to eulogise something I haven't heard/seen yet, but this sounds like the bees knees!
  20. Active Member

I think there was one more main camera than 2003 but for the set test piece this year we also had a small camera on the edge of the stage looking up at the solo euphonium!