Europe - The tMP referendum

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by yorkie19, Apr 22, 2004.

?

Should we be forging closer links with Europe?

1. Europhile - Vive la differance!

100.0%
  2. Europhobe - Let's keep our distance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Europewhat - Isn't that just outside Margate?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Should we be forging closer links with Europe, including adopting the European Constitution? Or should we be seperating ourselves? Are you bothered either way?

Before we get swamped with "Vote Yes" and "Vote No", I propose a tMP vote.

Sam

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    European
    tMP
    referendum
    Constitution
    vote
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok do u mean should we get the euro n stuff like that??

4. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

As a nation, we have managed to alienate ourselves from Europe in the last 12 months.
    Rejecting their proposals at this time could be severely detrimental.
    We have to balance this situation, however, with individuality and protecting our cultual and commercial interests.

This truly is a testing time for European politics.

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm a traditionalist I suppose, I can't see why we can't have links with Europe without surrendering our heritage and sovereignty.
    In principle the Euro is a good idea but with each individual country wanting to maintain it's identity (and rightly so) it's just never going to work as it should.

Vive la good old British quid.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I haven't had a decent look at the constitution thingummywotsit yet, so I wont pass too much judgement, but it all seems to have worked out quite well for Ireland's economy... I think with a bit of fine-tuning and a bit less "oh the pound, I've got such fond memories of finding them in gutters, and removing bits of fluff from them... how can we possibly think of losing it!?!?!" it might be ok in this country too!

8. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

we need to consolidate our powers in my opinion, here in britain, we are the best in the world at numerous things, as are the french at others, the germans at others... the list is endless, but at the moment the usa wins at everything because they are so much bigger than everyone else. Don't get me wrong, i don't want to be like the US, more like a co-op, rather than a superstore. the iraq war hasn't really helped relations recently though has it.

9. Despot

Despot Member

Europhile - Vive la differance!

I'll be honest, if given a choice between keeping the Irish Pound or accepting the Euro, I'd have voted pound. However, once the Euro was in, it was business as usual after a few days! Lot of fuss over nothing!

I think that's the way with Europe really. Lot of huffing and puffing and dragging of feet has to go on, but in the long run, nothing bad has ever actually happened!

I think involvement in the EU has done nothing to curb certainly the Irish sense of identity, in many ways it has made it stronger. THe Germans, French, Italians would never tolerate a watering down of their cultures, so I don't understand why the British think they will loose theirs?

10. Whenever I think of an anti europe person - I think of Alf Garnett!

11. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

it been St. George's Day, up the England.

I don't see why we can't have close trading and security links with Europe.
    Becoming a "state" of a Eupropean country is far from my idea of fun!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    European
    tMP
    referendum
    Constitution
    vote
  13. asteria

asteria Member

Hey, at least we wouldn't need re-entry visas to get back to england! :wink:

14. Bariman

Bariman Member

Just take a look at the eastern parts of Europe (ie Yugoslavia and the Warsaw pact countries).

They'v been disentangling the various mix of countries and states over the past 10 years or so and look at all the problems & misery that has caused.

Let's not get ourselves in that position in the first place.

15. twigglet

twigglet Member

I think it is pretty much inevitable that we are going to adopt the Euro so perhaps we should just get on with it...

As for European integration in terms of the constitution then I'm all for it... We already have European constraints on us, human rights etc and the amount that the proposed constitution has been watered down there really isn't that much in it. I think it is definately in our national interest to work on our relations with Europe as if something were to happen to us as a country, i.e. a terrorist attack, we would like to think that they would help us out.... right now I'm not sure that they would

Edit: Just have to add am really in favour of east european integration into Europe, will do their economies and lifestyle the world of good, and also open up trade with the east further for us.... all good

16. jambo

jambo Member

Its only inevitable if we let it. The trouble with this country is appathy, all groans but no voice. As for accepting europe I say no. A common currency, with economies that are on their knees? Common taxing with countries in recession...or just developing? Governed by people who only want to see their policies working rather than the individual countries prospering.

Self goverment is the only true reality for a successful country. Use Europe as a trade ally but not central policy. You only have to look at our laws to see how botched up they have become due to euopean meddling and enforcement.
    Hell, we dont even have the same sun! Let us all keep our identies, call our selves europeans due to our continental placement on the globe (even though we're an island) but fundamentally be British. Free trade, free movement of goods and workers, great. Sign away sovereignty and control of our nations policies...NO THANKS!

17. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I think on the whole it would be beneficial to become more integrated, if only to stand up to the US more. Surely monetary union should be decided on economic grounds (there are arguments either way) rather than on 'the pound is tradition' grounds. If we are that insecure about losing national identity, perhaps we haven't got much.

18. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I would be grateful if someone might outline the aspects of our identity that they believe would be lost, were a consilliation of power and finance to occur.