Euro Composers Competition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Belgium's Kevin Houben for winning.

Note, however, that the piece placed last by the adjudicators (Sinfonietta by Gareth Downey) was awarded both the Audience Prize and the Performers Prize. What does that tell us about the difference between what bands/audiences want to hear and what adjudicators/selection panels want to hear?;)
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I spotted that as well, but without actually hearing the three pieces is is difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions. Let's hope all three pieces come into the repertoire, so we can each make up our own mind ;)
  3. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Again without hearing the pieces it is difficult to draw any conclusions - but in true Eurovision Song Contest Style, maybe there was a bit of biased home voting for the local lad.

Anyway congratulations to all three competitors for getting to the final of such a prestigious competition - irrespective of placings they are all winners.
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My idea as well... ;-)

Anyway, many congratulations to Kevin (who plays in my band :D ). His piece "Arcana" will certainly be published, because it already exists for wind and fanfare band as well... He already wrote a number of pieces for different types of band. i think they are published by DeHaske.