Euro 2004

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not long now so..... do you think we stand a chance of actually winning an international competition.

Hope we do well but there are some canny strong sides in the competition but you never know

2. skweeky

skweeky Member

yes :lol: woohoo bring em on :!: :wink:
  3. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

At least we might see the same team finish the game for once, instead of a complete change at half time. If we get a team that works well together, im sure we can go all the way this time :lol:
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Oh I hope so...for two reasons
    1. The national press will stop harping on about nineteen bleedin sixty six!!
    2. On the same basis of likelyhood, Emley band will lift next years Nationals Championship section trophy.

I'm a jock, and seeing as once again my boys won't be participating due to the lack of scots that can kick a ball, I'll be rooting for the English as much as anyone else, but somehow I just don't see them doing anything...again. Every other nation at that level looks like a well balanced team outfit...England always give the appearance of a few players slung together at the last minute (which they basically are), and I just can't see them getting past the quarters (if that!).
    But I really hope they do.

So from a jock, COME ON ENGLAND!!

:bounce :guiness :tup
  5. skweeky

skweeky Member

from a half irish hehe Come on England! :wink:
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Looking at the teams that are in it I'd say that England have a good chance. They should at least make the knockout stages. However my pick, which I'll be taking to the bookies, is Spain with second favourites being France.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think Sven's tinkered too much in his friendlies and whatever his 'first choicre' team is, won't have had enough time to gel. In any case, much as I'd like to see it happen, we still don't have quite enough quality in depth to win it, much as I'd like to be proved wrong.

France flopped at the last World Cup but I can't see that happening again. I think either they or Italy will win it. Outside bet? Czech Republic (Remember I tipped Mickelson to win the Masters! Trust 'Honest' Dave's Sporting Tips Forum!...... as if!! ;-) ;-) :lol:
  8. Active Member

The only Euro 2004 event that we have a chance of winning is the European Brass Band Championships!
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well, since the paddies missed out (again :cry: ) I guess I'll root for england, but I really don't hold out much hope... much too weak on the wings and a slightly dodgy defence... also, with heskey up front, i wouldn't expect any goal frenzies!! :roll:
  10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

now lets see who we will have playing and see how many you would (honestly) want in your club side :-

David (Calamity) James - No
    Gary Neville - Utd fan so i can't comment
    Sol Campbell - i would rather have Rio
    John Terry - good prospect but still has a lot to learn at the very highest level
    Ashley Cole - good going forward but defensively ?
    Beckham - ok i would love to see him back at utd (When Fergie leaves ?)
    Gerrard - if he's fit
    Scholes -Utd again
    Left Side - anyone ?
    Owen - where have all the goals gone ?
    Heskey - You must be joking
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Glad to have Campbell at Arsenal, and Ashley Cole. I'd still have David Beckham, John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen - whose form will return eventually - (some as 'rotational' players, but I'd be glad to have them.

David James, Gary Neville, (sorry!), Emile Heskey - no. Rooney, maybe in a couple of years' time. Tell you who I would like Arsenal to buy; Joe Cole. I think Wenger would turn him into a genuine world class player instead of him showing it in fits and starts.
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

While I want England to win if I were to have a few quid on the tournement I would back Holland... they've got some amazing players and could do well
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

England won't win, except if all the other teams drop dead before the start of the tournament. I am the only person that has been more than disappointed at their recent results?
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

I haven't been disappointed! ;)
  15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

As much as we'd love to think so ... England haven't got a chance in hell of winning ... the sides good enough, but by the time the big tournaments come along - everbody's knackered/injured/past their best ...

So my money would be for Holland possibly, with France and Italy also as contenders. But this year it's really wide open ... perhaps Spain?
  16. Dan

Dan Member

Ah but we can have lots of fun watching and hoping and drinking....... and hoping!!! (and more drinking!)
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Of course England have a chance. They were excellent in every competitive game they have played over recent years and the World cup proved they have the bottle (if not the players on one occasion) to do well. Should a few injuries and shock results go our way we can win the tournament, same as Spain, France & Holland.
  18. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

:D Yes that's right!!
  19. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Hope England do weell, but unfortunately my sister has arranged her wedding on the day of the final, so I won't be able to watch :( Will also miss 2 band jobs!
  20. Trigger

Trigger Member

Ah yes, I seem to remember that you like the drinking part of our national football comps. England V Argentina (World Cup) was one particular game where you joined in the spirit of the world cup in the fountain in Trafalgar Square!!!! Flashed your bum to the national press didn't you? :lol: :oops: :lol:

No but honestly we have to do something, even if it's only enough to stop the press going on about Beckham and his tarts! :roll: :lol:

Come on England!!!