Euro 2004. Who are your favourites?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

It is with some trepidation that I start this thread due to the moaning ninnies who complain about all these football threads whilst not being able to resist the urge to click on them and open them in the first place but.....

(Hey folks, I AM kidding! Just! ;-))

Now that the first round of games have been completed, does any team yet stand out for you as potential winners? Is it too early to judge? Is it a case of 'teams take time to find their feet?' (In which case, maybe the England doom merchants might want to lighten up. It's no shame after all, to lose 2-1 to the team generally considered to be the best in Europe, even if the manner of defeat was eye-opening!)

For my money, it's a difficult call. Czech Rep (my outside bet) weren't exactly rampant yesterday, Holland are by far, on yesterday's showing, the worst team in the tournament (yup, worse than England! I bet there are some Scots that wish yesterday's Holland turned up in Amsterdam a few months back. That's not goading by the way. I wanted to see the Scots there!). Sweden trounced a Bulgaria side that to me, outplayed them for 50 minutes, but Sweden clearly do possess a potent strike force. France, after a bright opening, didn't look overly impressive against England, either. Denmark were impressive against Italy but seemed to lack the belief that they could actually beat them. Host nation? Not a chance, in my book.

I said all along that England won't win it, but having seen some of the teams on display, I beginning to wonder if we'll never have a better chance! Still, who sticks out for you? I'll do a Brooking and sit on the fence! ;-)

2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

France.

Pure class of a side, plus Thierry Henry. Yummy yum yum. France are full of quality. I would like so see France do well.

3. louise0502

louise0502 Member

I loved watching the Sweeden game (MMmmmm Anders Svensson)!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Tricky one that…you can never overlook Germany and Italy…they have an annoying habit of winning when you least expect them to, but I think the top four in this tournament are France, Sweden, England and Spain with Germany, Italy and Holland as good outside bets.
    I’m going to stick my neck out and say Sweden, they played some sexy stuff the other night, they’re hellishly quick on the break and with the likes of HL up front they can score against anyone.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Save Sweden (who I really hadn'tseen play much) All those listed above I thought would be favorites as well, but I don't think any team really stood out as the team to beat yet. I think it is still anybody's game and it may take a few games for a team toreally get on a roll.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm waiting till after the 2nd round of group matches before I make a decision... there seems to have been some serious feet-finding so far!

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not one side seems to have taken any game by the scruff of the neck so far, but I'm going for France to win. Plus I have them in the office sweep! :D

8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Greece - just for interest. If they beat Spain I'll be more confident.

9. jambo

jambo Member

So long as we dont play our muppet card for the last 2 mins of a game I think England are in this for the distance.

If we are we'll prob meet France again along the way if thats possible. Much as I'm loatherd to say it, Thiery Henry had a quiet one the other night so he'll be out to get us, and if anyone can its Mr Va Va Voom. Swine

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

All I hope now is that those scummy pond life Neanderthals causing trouble over there (and here, notably Croydon!) would drop dead! It gives the rest of us English a bad name!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ninnies
    England
    Euro 2004
    thread
    winners
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well I'm rooting for Sweden and not just because of the blessed Henrik. I work beside a couple of Swedes (no they're not turnips) and they were overjoyed at the Bulgaria result. If Sweden can continue to play like that and the draw is kind to them then I can see them going far. Certainly hope so as I've got a tenner on them.

13. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I fancy Sweden too-ps-is that a photo of you picking up your bass solo prize John?

14. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Come on Latvia :wink: I thoroughly enjoyed their game against the Czech Rep. I thought it seemed to be played in a more sporting way than the majority of others...less dodgy fouls and diving? and when that little guy wanted to swap shirts with Koller at the end. Awww bless...it was at least 10 times bigger than him :D

I still fancy the Czechs. I think they'll get it together and despite not making the most of their possession against Latvia, they did look impressive going forward. Nedved and Poborsky looked the business!

It'd be great if they, Sweden or any of the less talked about teams won it!

P.S. I drew Russia in our sweep :(

15. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

I'm looking for Portugal to do well.
    Not only because they are the hosts (which means they have 12 men on the pitch :evil: ), but if they find room for Deko and Figo at once, they should have chances galore.
    Both fantastically creative players, and Figo has hit some serious form.
    Czech's on the outside.

England??........err.....I'll tell you tomorrow.

16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

If Portugal, Spain or the Netherlands could find it within themselves to play as a team then any of them have the players to win the whole thing.

Jdme Ceska

Sam

17. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I would have to agree with Mark Lawrenson (who was on Radio 1 this morning)

He said that England and France are a cut above every other team in the tournament - and I think we'll go all the way.

Come on England.... :!:

18. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

yep am goin for England too... Mr Owen *swoon*

19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

YBS every time. :D

D

20. peasantband

peasantband New Member

How do you say, Come On!!

I am so happy for the Czech team from the France game last night. We have the good chance now and England must to worry now. We will have the victory!

Did you to see the men in crowd for the Czech team?
    The fat one with the Drum, he is Vladimir and he plays sometimes for the Pantirus Fanfare Peasant Band but, he is alcoholic as you see on the tele.

Good man but crazy for the Vodka.

:lol:

21. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Too crazy for the vodka - you appear to have the Czech Republic confused with Croatia mate! You're not in our group!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ninnies
    England
    Euro 2004
    thread
    winners