Euphoniums ... some advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, May 9, 2003.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

After a number of weeks of my 8yr old son attempting to play Cornet, I tried him out with a tuba... bingo looks like I have a low brass player in the family. Anyway he tried a number of other instruments out last night and decided that he likes the euphonium best (he loved playing the tuba but decided that he'd need to grow a bit before hand, and he makes a pretty decent sound on the euph).

However given that I know absolutely bog all about Euphs can someone tell me :

a) What is a good student model (I'll look at buying him one if he sticks it for the next couple of months) ?
    b) What is the difference between compensating and non compensating?
    c) Anyone got one going second hand cheap :D

Cheers all
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Contact your local music shop. Most of them run a scheme where you can rent an instrument quite cheaply for a couple of years. You can give the instrument back at any time if the child gives up. If they stick at it you can then buy the instrument and all the rental you have paid will be knocked off the purchase price
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

4. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

In answer to the question about compensating systems, these add a small amount of extra tubing (placed at the back of the valves) when used in conjunction with a 4th valve. It's all about tuning.

A good article that explains the physics :? can be found here:

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Without wishing to sound patronising.... Is a "full" Euph the right instrument for an 8 year old?

My son is 13 and has been playing a baritone since he was 8. He's only just thinking about moving onto a euph now. Its nothing musical: an 8 year old simply isn't strong enough to cart a euph in its case around! Baris are (normally - someone will no doubt tell me different!) 3-valve and usually don't have all the extra tubing (weight) from compensating valves and are physically much smaller.

Whilst this isn't so important when they're playing sitting in the band, when it comes to taking grades (because that's one of the measures the peri teachers are measured by), being able to stand up to play is important.

Another, more musical, thought is that a bari is smaller bore and its easier for someone with small lungs to drive.

(also a Euph player!)
  6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

my sister started playing euph at 10, and fine, my mum and dad had to carry it for her, but she sat down in grades and it made no difference! you can also get 3 valve euphs and smaller bores as i'm sure you know.
  7. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Any instrument he wants to play is the right one. The worst thing you can do is force a child to play an instrument he doesn't like. I hated cornet and it took some heated arguments before dad let me change to euph.