Euphonium Tutor Books

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cujo_134, Jan 31, 2005.

1. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I am a young (16) euphonium player and am looking for a tutor to help me progress. The problem is that over on this side of the pond, brass tutors are few and far between. I was wondering if people have any suggestions for such things as books etc. that could help me. Thanks for the help.
  2. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Try the Basics Plus book that has been recently added to Steve Mead's online sales products on
    It's a book that is basically like the Arban tutor (not as many exercises though), but has instructions as to what to achieve in each section of the book (which each concentrate on certain aspects of your playing).
    Hard to desrcibe it, but definately a tutor book worth buying! ;)
  3. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look.
  4. Listen to lots of music...british brass bands if thats the type of music you play most often. Dont limit your listening to only one genre...listen to them all and pick out things that you like that will help you to improve. Set yourself short term goals and strive to achieve them, but dont rush. I know people that say they have finished books like 'how brass players do it', which isnt a book you finish. Take a look at Nick Walkleys site as it elaborates and adds to the things ive put above.
  5. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Great thanks for the tips. I listen to a ton of Brass Bands, all British excluding the New York Staff Band and Canadian Staff Band, and try to listen to not only Army stuff but also lots of test pieces. I will take a look at the website.