Euphonium Treble clef Parts, out of print music

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Edward Kettell, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Edward Kettell

Edward Kettell New Member

Good morning
    I am new to this forum, so please excuse any errors of protocol. Also let me know if I am in the wrong place, but you do seem to have a vast resource of knowledge in the Brass world.
    I am a member of several Concert Bands in and around Colchester.
    When I took up the Euphonium, I elected to read Treble Clef, as I could then use my daughter's Trumpet music for practice. I then bought a couple of fake books, and I was away.
    Although the librarians do their best for me, I frequently am unable to get hold of a Treble Clef part.
    Studio Music are extremely helpful with their Chappel and B&H archive service, and obviously I have no problem purchasing the necessary, when I can find it, but frequently I can not.

An example, at the moment the West Bergholt Concert Band are rehearsing the Pre-Goodman Rag.
    This is probably a bad example as Malcom Arnold’s “Wind Band” comprises
    piccolo, 2 flute, 2 oboe, 3 clarinet, bass clarinet, 2 bassoon, 2 horn, tuba, string bass and percussion.
    This does not fit exactly into either the Brass band, or the Symphonic Wind band as we know it.

You will probably have noticed that the Saxophones and Trombones are also struggling for parts.

Does anybody have access to any other transcriptions or setting of this piece?
    Does anyone know of an archive or library service that can help?
    Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
    Regards Ted Kettell

2. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Member

Hi Ted. If you're likely to stick with wind / concert bands rather than brass bands I would be inclined to learn bass clef. Although initially daunting and time-consuming, it will be a good investment in the long run and will save you needing to source or create treble clef scores.

mikelyons likes this.
  3. Edward Kettell

Your absolutely right of course, and I did start to do that a few years ago, but conductors, that had got used to my relative proficiency, became irritated when I suddenly slowed right down.
    The other thing I found was that I tended to pitch everything too high, as it presents 2 leger lines higher in bass clef.
    Most of the bands around here do their best to accommodate me, so I have stuck with treble clef.
    There must be others out there with my problem, so I thought I would ask.

4th Cornet likes this.
  4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I am sympathetic to your problem (had similar myself) and see three possible solutions for you:

1) write out all your pieces into treble clef, it will take a while but you'll be able to do so at your pace and then play them back at speed when you want to.
    2) join a brass band (see: Brass Bands Map - Brass Band Results ) I found that that worked best for me by a mile. Higher section bands may be beyond your current Euphonium skill levels (no disrespect intended) but there's no shame in either moving down a seat or two or in changing instrument; and some 'bands' are actually much larger groupings with several bands, of different skill levels, within them.
    3) practice your bass clef reading until it becomes second nature. Some people are 'at home' with both clefs; Dr Downing has a good book for conversion and some (other) nice practice material in bass clef. 'Bass Cleff is Easy' has each piece written in both Bass and Treble Clef ( Bass Clef is Easy! ).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Edward Kettell

Do none of the band music libraries lend music?
    I have joined the Chatfield Band Music Library in Minnesota, and have accumulated a collection of my own, but there is so much music out there that I still need a piece occasionally.
    Yes transcribing it myself does work, but some pieces, particularly by arrangers who change the articulation every other bar, can take quite a while.
    I was hoping to find someone to trade parts with. I do not mind paying Library charges.
    Can anyone help?

6. 2nd tenor

Whilst your Band is in the UK (West Bergholt Concert Band) I see that (as you joined a music libary there) you might have common ground with bands in the the USA, and that would alter the situation or rather how you might be helped. Might I suggest that you have a look at tube net in the US in the hope of finding others who have managed the same issue that you are grappling with ( Euphonium-Tuba and General Music Forums ).

There are issues with supplying copies of music, even out of print stuff. It does go on but on line request are sometimes greeted with complaint about infringement of copyright (the legal right to copy). In the UK each brass band has its own libary of music, we don't use external libraries but I believe that some Orchestras do. The practice in the USA and parts of continetial Europe might well be different from here in the UK.

It's not particularly likely but if you ask for specific parts here you might get assistance. Give the tittle, publisher and arranger details, and state that it's out of print - a publication date could be helpful too. It's also questionable as to whether a brass band arrangement (what you're likely to find here) mirrored a wind band arrangement and as to whether both were done.

I don't know whether it's possible but maybe some computer whiz can scan sheet music, manipulate it and print out a copy in a different clef. If it's not possible now then it likely will be (though perhaps not legal) in a few years time.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. Edward Kettell

Thank you for that suggestion. That is exactly the sort of connection I am looking for.
    An awful lot of music that is out of copyright is still difficult to obtain.
    An example, at the moment the Essex Concert Band are rehearsing the Overture to Die Fledermaus, using the Hawkes & Son arrangement H&S 3975. Studio Music have the 1946 B&H arrangement, as do the British Library of course, but the is not the same.
    In the end I sat down and transcribed it.
    The British Library is excellent for anything published in the U.K., but the U.S.A. still provides the lion's share of arrangements.
    I am in the U.K., Colchester, in Essex, by the way. The staff at Chatfield give a superb service, but limited of course to their collection.

8. 2nd tenor

I assume that you have been in contact with the (sort of) 'British Wind Band Association' and that you do have contacts with some long established Wind Bands, see: BASBWE and IBEW - Wind, Concert, Military & Marching Bands Directory . If not then the help you seek might be more available than you have so far found.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017