Euphonium solos every euph player must play

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassfanatic, Aug 14, 2009.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

Can anyone give me a list of say 5-10 euphonium solos any euphonium player must have played or be able to play to call themselves a real euphonium player?

These are the one's I have been working on over the last year or so

Blaydon Races
    Carnival of Venice
    Grandfather's Clock
    Horowitz Euphonium Concerto
    Fantasy for Euphonium and Brass band
    Euphonium Suite
    Jeannie with Light Brown Hair (hate the song, love Howarth's arrangement as a euph solo. It's on one of Grimey's albums from the 70s).
    Endearing Young Charms
    Midnight Euphonium (Goff Richards)
    Deep inside the Sacred Temple
    Softly As I leave You
    Party Piece (very, very, very, very, very difficult)

Can think of any of the others.

There are some of these I can't actually play perfectly, double, triple tonguing a problem.

What else has the proficient euphonium player come across in his or her banding experience?
  2. benjaminuk

benjaminuk Member

Myfawny is another euphonium classic
  3. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

The Wee Cooper O'Fife is a brilliant euph solo, guarenteed to get the audience going
  4. Di B

Di B Member

You missed out varied mood. Very difficult to master double tonguing octaves. Best I have heard play it by a long stretch is David Childs - super clarity.

On Alderly Edge is also a euph classic now.

For me, I would also pop Jenny Jones in there and take out Carrickfergus which I consider to be a must for baritone.
  5. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

and add Rhapsody for Euphonium to the list, and i think there is a Euph solo arrangement of the harmonius blacksmith aswell, but im not certain
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There are loads....

The typical Cloughie examples of Largo al Factotum and Rule Britannia being another two....
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Dublin's Fair City by Roy Newsome is a rather decent ditty
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

^ Agree with Maestro there!

Also, "Be My Love", arranged by Ray Farr, a piece with harder (technically) band parts than solo! But a real "musical" challenge (I nearly fainted when I heard the Mario Lanza I was trying to replicate).

How about "Rhapsody for Euphonium" (Curnow) and "Peace" (Golland)?
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Philip Sparke's "Harlequin" is up there with the best for me, but it takes a good player to do anything with it ;)

I also like the Makoto Kanai arrangement of "When You Wish Upon A Star" but you need a very secure top register :eek:

Another favourite of mine is "Fantasy variations" by Yasuhide Ito, but I'm not sure if anyone's done a brass band arrangement yet.
  10. eupho al

eupho al New Member

"Machushla" gets the old dears going

"Carnival of Venice" Rimmington i think . as played by Morgan Griffiths on the Essence of Time C.D.

"Fatherland" sounds good on euph

"To a wild rose" simple short classic

"Brilliante" seems to sort the men from the boys
  11. blue juice

blue juice Member

Watching the Wheat. Don't really like it but that might be cos the euph i heard doing it wasn't brilliant. The Euph part of Vitae Aeternum is awesome and really difficult so I would say that is one to aspire to.
  12. Blagger

Blagger Member

You have not lived (or died depending on how it went) until you have played the solo in Harmony Music ;)
    Also Le Roi D'ys is a must - listen to Lyndon Baglin play it :cool:
    as for band solos - not much to add apart from Summer Isle
  13. Martin

Martin Member

14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

If we're going to start thinking of test piece solos then we could be here all day! How about: Masquerade, Music for the Moving Image, Within Blue Empires, Bourgeous Concerto Grosso, The Promised Land ...
  15. Ego Variations.
  16. yoooff

yoooff Member

From the SA repertoire - the classic Song of the Brother by Erik Leidzen
  17. I have mentioned this on another thread, but Grand Concerto by Ferde Grofe. Also the Concerto by Luaga
  18. eupho al

eupho al New Member

Le Roi D'ys euph part is very underestimated . Not the big solo, but the ending from the triplet bottom A's to the end. It's rock.
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It is.

My audition for Besses first time round in '86 when I was 15 consisted of La Belle Americaine and sight reading various bits of Le Roi d'Ys and Carnival Romaine...scary stuff.

Add Weber,s Last Waltz to the list.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nail on head for me, Keith. It's about the expectations from others how (and the way how) you perform what's on the stand, if you value your playing.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009