Euphonium Recital no.31

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Highams, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Highams

Highams Member

St. Mary’s Parish Church, Church Street, Slough, Berkshire, UK

Saturday August 2nd. 2008 at 12 noon, admission free

Euphonium Recital no.31, Charley Brighton (sponsored by Willson Band Instruments of Switzerland) with guest Robin Langdon (Southampton University), with Malcolm Stowell, Piano & Organ.

Programme of Music;

Premiere; Intrada, Sicilienne & Minuet, David Thorne (with organ accompaniment)

Adagio, J.S. Bach, from the clarinet transcription by V. Gensler

Softly, As I Leave You, Alfred De Vita arranged by Alan Catherall
    duet with guest Robin Langdon

The Queen of The Night’s Aria (Der Holle Rache), W.A. Mozart arranged by John Golland, played on a 1912 Hawkes 4v Cavalry Tuba

Premiere; Masquerade, Lorenzo Melissano (Italy)

Free parking courtesy of KEYWEST Ltd. Windsor Road, opposite Slough Police Station.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

2. Highams

Highams Member

I was pleased to get hold of a clarinet arrangement of the Adagio by Bach in a Russian publication, to include in this recital coming up.

After some research, (there was no BWV number) it turns out to be composed by Henri Casadesus (September 30, 1879 – May 31, 1947) who was a violist and music publisher.

The work is often attributed to J.C. Bach but is actually the 2nd. movement of a concerto for Viola.

Henri is credited with the "J.C. Bach Concerto," for viola. This is now used in the Suzuki method for viola, and are often referred to as "The J.C. Bach/Casadesus Concerto". Scholarly criticism has confirmed that this concerto was written by Henri Casadesus in the style of its purported composer.

CB

3. Highams

Highams Member

Recordings on line at AP;

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=159069&T=6372

Intrada, Sicilienne & Minuet (1908 Besson 3v Enharmonic Euphonium)
    Adagio (1980's Imperial 4v Euphonium)
    Softly As I Leave You (with Robin Langdon)
    Queen of the Night's Aria (1912 Hawkes 4v Cavalry Tuba)
    Masquerade (Willson 2900 Euphonium)

Great to see and meet Doug & Pat Ruby from Boston and Norman & Linda Taylor from LA.

CB