euphonium position required/ W.Mids..

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by marksmith, Nov 6, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I am looking for a euphonium seat in a West Midlands band. I am an experienced player but am in danger of going to seed (the body has already!)
    I have tried baritone - but can't stick it, so am looking to get into a band willing to let me have a few weeks to get my lip back in.

2. ian_b

ian_b Member

Where abouts are you based?

3. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Walsall.

4. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

still looking.

5. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Believe it or not, other than a couple of weeks on Baritone, I have still not found a suitable position from this time last year!
    I last did a contest at the Area, 2008 but have not lost the knack!
    Big sound, okay technically. Recent health problems sorted, so looking for regular banding - but only on Euphonium.
    Prefer a West Midland band.

6. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

There is a saying 'never give up', so I will try one last time.
    I am looking for a euphonium seat in a band, standard unimportant, just appreciative of what I have to offer.
    End seat player for 35+ years, can still hold my own in most bands.
    I can still ride a bike, though remembering which end of the instrument to blow is becoming a little hazy!!!!:rolleyes:
    No signs of dementia and still have my own teeth!;)
    I still have ambition and ability.
    West Midlands preferred or within 30 miles of Walsall.

7. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

Coventry Festival could always use some extra help.

8. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

Hi, would Northampton be too far, Our Euph could do with a friend on a regular basis, Moulton77 have a warm bandroom, good library and friendly approach to enjoying making music.

9. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Thanks for that. I think that the distance is a little too far. Sorry!

10. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I had no idea that you were still an outfit. I was Coventry Festival's solo euphonium back in '74-ish.
    Are you actually competing or a concert band?
    I would prefer to play with a band that does some contesting, though the level doesn't matter.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    W.Mids
    Hi Mark
    Euph
    Stourport-on-Severn Brass Band
    Stourport-on-Severn
  12. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

CFB are still going but probably not in a form you would recognise!

They are non-competing and in need of some new blood to get out of a rut that they currently find themselves in. There are probably still some players that were there in 1974.

Rehearsal details are on the website www.coventryfestivalband.co.uk

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The present Coventry Festival Band emerged from the old junior band when the senior band was sponsored by Rolls Royce (since 2002 Jaguar (Coventry) Band). I have happy memories of my spell in the old Coventry Festival Band (horn, baritone and finally bass trombone, leaving when I joined the forces in 1973).

14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Mark (reiterating what I said in a PM a few months ago)... its a shame your slightly too far away - you're exactly the sort of player we are after. I hope you find somewhere soon. Shame to have a decent player not playing with a band regularly.

15. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Thanks for that Peter.
    I was aware that the present Jaguar Band were linked to the old Festival Band in some way or other but could not quite remember the details.
    I also have happy memories of the band.
    I think both Bernard Northwood and Dick Arrand conducted in my time there.

16. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I appreciate your comment Ian, thankyou.

17. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Warwicks/Staffs/Leicestershire borders?:(

18. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

As the new Area contests approach, is there anyone looking for a Principal Euphonium in the Mdlands area?
    I have experience and am willing to travel (within reason).
    I live in Walsall.

19. llewellynd

llewellynd Member

Alcester Victoria based in err Alcester, Warwickshire are now looking for a principle euph. Contact Sue Bates, secretary via the web site www.avsb.co.uk . Not sure if they contest anymore.

20. sunshine

sunshine Member

Corby Silver Band are looking for a principal euphonium player as our current player intends to move on to Eb bass when we find a suitable replacement.

I do fear, however that you may feel Corby is too far away, as it is not within the 30 miles of Walsall, one of your previous posts mentioned, but I thought I would mention the vacancy anyway.

Sunshine

21. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I appreciate the thought but it is around 65-70 miles to Corby from the area I live in, that may prove too far in the long-term. Thankyou for your post.

Regarding the earlier post from Alcester, contesting is important to me so again, thankyou for your post.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    W.Mids
    Hi Mark
    Euph
    Stourport-on-Severn Brass Band
    Stourport-on-Severn