Euphonium Parts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mister 4x4, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Hello All,

I'm new here, but plan on sticking around. I played all through school and early on in my Air Force career. I've recently joined the local community band I'm really enjoying being back in the band after a 20 year hiatus.

I've recently purchased a cheap horn (Selman 4-valve Bb Euph) and was wondering if anyone knew of any sources for some better valve springs, valve-stop felt pads, and water-valve pads. The horn is brand-new, but as I've learned the hard way, you get what you pay for.

The 1 & 3 valves are sticking at approx. 3/4 of the up-travel, and are pretty sluggish in operation. Also, they resonate throughout the entire horn when they bottom out (clunk...), and the water valve pads offer very little in the way of actually sealing the valve closed.

It seems like none of the music stores carry replacement springs and such, unless you take the horn to their repair shops for them to replace.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb Euph
    closed.It
    Air Force
    Selman 4
    valve-stop
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Hi Eric and :hi to tMP. I'm glad to see you plan on sticking around! tMP is the up and coming place to be. ;)

If the instrument is brand new, isn't under warranty? I'd take it back and let them fix it for you. :)

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi, try windcraft ltd. they stock all sizes of felts and springs

5. Despot

Despot Member

6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a forum-a-holic by nature, and this place will fit into my daily rounds just fine. ;) :D

The horn was one of those e-Bay deals... and came from a music store in Twin Falls, Idaho. I'm not sure what kind of warranty will be able to be worked out under those conditions. I'm in the process of contacting the seller and see what I can work out.

Sadly, I think I'm just the victim of buying a really cheap rip-off of a Selmer (Selman, Selmer...) especially since I can't even find a Selman site anywhere on the web.

I'm very mechanically inclined (I own a Jeep after all... :D ) and I have no issue diving in and working this out for myself. It's almost kind of a challenge for me - taking something that's no so good and making it work very well. In fact, I'm looking at polishing the valves and bores while I'm watching the NASCAR race today to see if that won't smooth things out a bit.

Meanwhile, I'll probably check into borrowing one of those beautiful Yamaha YEP-321s from the university while I work the bugs out of mine. :woo

Thanks for the links as well - I'll be checking those out.