Euphonium Mouthpieces for a Neophyte

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bobklem, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Bobklem

Bobklem New Member

This is my first post and I could be described fairly accurately as a neophyte Euphonium player.

It's been 35 years since I've played my B&H Imperial Euphonium (High School Concert Band). I think my Imperial was purchased in 1970 when a Canadian concert band from Melfort Saskatchewan did a European tour.

I know it originally came with a KosiKup mouthpiece, which I think was a #10. In the years since, I lent my Euphonium out to numerous players who wanted to use a good horn. Somewhere along the way (the mid 1980's) my Kosikup mp got switched with a beat-up large-shank no-name mp. Priorities changed when my family came along, so my euphonium which now had no mp that fit stayed in storage. Now nearing retirement and having more time and disposable income, I've pulled my euphonium out of storage. Looking around on EBay I found a Kosikup #10 and two Dennis Wick mps (one 6BY - shank too small, and one 2AL - shank fits into receiver 3/8 of an inch). I've tried all three and the Dennis Wick 2AL "feels" better than the Kosikup (seems to take less effort), and I'm not sure about the 6BY.

Back in the day, I was noted for my ability to make the Imperial sing, now I'd just like something to re-learn on. I certainly have noticed that none of the mps discussed on these forums "fit " the model numbers I have.

Does anyone have any information on what size kosikup came with new B&H Imperials in the late '60s or early '70s? Would the Kosikup #10 that I have be an OK mp to re-learn on? Does anyone have a reference chart on kosikup mps so I could compare mine to mps available today? How about the Dennis Wick 2AL (presumably I could turn-down the taper on a metal lathe to fit my Imperial)?

I guess, keeping in mind that I am unlikely to end up in a band anytime soon, I really need to know if any of the above mps would be OK to use and why or why not. Being a neophyte, I am finding all these mp numbers fairly meaningless.

If these forums are not intended for beginners like me, don't be shy to tell me so, however in that case I will need to find a place to ask these questions.

Bob Klemmer
    Weyburn, Saskatchewan
    Canada.
    bklemmer@sasktel.net

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Neophyte This
    SaskatchewanCanada.
    Kosikup
    Imperial
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi

Hi Bob, welcome to tmp:tup

Don't worry about being a neophyte ( i actually had to look that one up, nice one!)
    Although i can't help with your mp problem, i thought i'd say hello and welcome.

This forum is just what your looking for. there are plenty of folks on here who will be able to help you out.

Have fun on your Euph, and enjoy tmp:tup

4. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I would suggest you take the euph along to your nearest music store and spend some time trying as many makes/models of mouthpiece as you can and buy the one you like most.

5. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I have always played on a 4AL - Denis Wick, I started on an Imperial and I'm pretty sure that was what I used on that. I have used a 2AL on bass bone in the past and a 4AM on a baritone, not sure where your Imperial mouthpipe size fits between those? - good luck finding the right fit!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try eBay. KosiKup mouthpieces often appear there for sale. There also might be a few lying around in old mouthpiece boxes in bandhalls around the UK. Someone might check this out and get in touch with you! I often wondered why these mouthpieces went out of fashion ... anything to do with Boosey/Besson starting to supply Denis Wick ones as standard?

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

After searching for a wee while online I have found out that Brian Bowman developed a range of mouthpieces with Dynasty (DEG) similar to the KosiKup range. He recommends the BB2 as a replacement here on TubeNet and you can find out more about them & buy them here.

8. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Whatever mpc you end up with, you will need a european shank model.

The Wick 6BY is a small shank mpc, and the Wick 2AL is a large shank, which is why neither fits your Imperial. (Besson switched from european shank to large shank in 1974). The euro-shank Wicks end with the letter "M", i.e. 4AM, 6BM, SM3M, SM4M.