Euphonium Mouthpiece - Which one?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I've started playing again properly after about 2 & 1/2 years with the stick and i'm after a new mouthpiece.

I now play on a prestige but i'm finding it a bit of a beast to fill compared to other smaller sovereigns I've played on before, and my DW 4AL (which I've always played on) isn't doing the job. Probably looking at getting either a new Steven Mead mouthpiece or a David Childs one, but any advice from others on what mouthpiece might be best to use would be greatly appreciated :D

P.S. - I'm aware that the dreaded "p" word will help my stamina and other aspects as well :D
  2. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I've never played on a Prestige model so cannot comment on that aspect, but over the years I have experimented with different mouthpieces, mainly on 967 Sovereign euphs. I currently use a Wick SM4, but if need to cheat with top notes, a DW 4BL or a 6BL are in my case. For low down power, I have a DW3AL. Hope these observations help
  3. simonium

simonium Member

On larger hooters I found the Denis Wick SM Ultra 3 a good mouthpiece, but have since gone back to a bog standard old 4AL and find it better in every conceivable way. I've no idea what the Ultra X is like, tacit admission that the original Ultra was not sufficiently well developed aside. Childs' mouthpieces are gorgeous to look at but I found hard to play. Only thing I would say is the DC mouthpieces are a number out from Wick so a DC3 is equivalent to a Wick / Bach 4.
  4. 4AL myself, tried the SMU for a while but found the 4AL to be better in my opinion. Haven't had a proper go on the DC mouthpieces but a lot of my friends play the DC3 and have very good things to say about it, so definitely worth a try if you're looking for something different :)
  5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

This interests me greatly as I've always struggled with extreme high and low playing on horn. When your playing in the band or a solo, at what point do you switch mouthpieces? - do you just keep the other one on the music stand or something?
  6. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not too bothered about anything to help range, I've got a fairly comfortable 4 octave range on my 4AL so that should switch fairly easy, but need something to just give a bit more power. I don't know if its psychological but my 4AL feels like a much smaller mouthpiece at the moment, although that could be a case of getting back into the habit of blowing.

I agree I've tried the SM mouthpieces before and just couldn't see any advantage over the DW4, hence finding out if they are any good before forking out £80. I think I might give the DC3 a go, looks as though it should do the job i'm after, if not it's always another one for the collection.

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful :)
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I use an SM3 (the original SM, not either of the Ultra versions, which I find make my sound a bit 'hard' on euph). In comparison with the 3AL I grew up playing, it's deeper in a funnelly way, and makes a more mellow noise - it can put a lot of power in, but it doesn't necessarily project that well. Not sure which of those attributes you're after. It also solves a problem I always had on the 3AL - articulations. On the 3AL, something about the rim bite (oo-er) made quiet articulations difficult for me.

If you have a decent range on a 4-sized piece, but want more raw power, I would suggest something in a 3 size.