Euphonium harnesses

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LittleEuph, Jun 8, 2010.

1. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

Has anyone used either of these harnesses:

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/brass_straps.html (bottom of the page)
    http://www.daveballard.co.uk/playingaccessoriesharnesses.html (bottom of the page)

for marching with a Euphonium?

I am using a shoulder strap at the moment, but I would like something that both gives a bit more support and makes it easier to quickly disconnect the harness from the Euphonium. Either of these look ideal but it would be useful to hear if anyone has any personal experience of using something like this.

thanks

2. dagriff

dagriff New Member

Never used either, but I find the strap (nabbed off an old suitcase) makes life so much easier for me!

Hope you enjoyed Switzerland, you seemed fine with the strap at Montreux?

3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

The first time I ever marched playing euphonium I struggled. I'm quite small in build and found the marching (which was Whit Friday) quite a strain the first time I done it. I immediately thought about getting a harness. Unfortunately they were too expensive for my liking. Instead I just practised more often standing and marching. I now find it quite easy to march and play. I think building up the muscles in your arms which support the instrument can be as good a solution as buying a harness. Then again I've always secretly wanted the harnesses the Royal Army Euph players have...

4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Saw one at Delph last week it looked very comfortable

5. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Stop being a big jessy you euph players and try marching with a bass!! :biggrin:

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

7. simonium

simonium Member

I'd be laughed out of the bandroom if I arrived with an euphonium support. There are deep seated moral and philosophical reasons for the struggle carrying a euphonium on a march, not least of which is keeping face.

8. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I have the greatest sympathy and respect for bass players who march. I rarely ever see women bass players march... well apart from Boobs & Brass. :tup The fact is that even though the euphonium is relatively light in comparison to a bass, for some petitely build people marching for hours on end can be a bit of a task.

9. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

Absolutely agree.

Whatever next !

If you are big enough to play it you should be big enough to play/carry it on the march.

Why we ever let women into bands I’ll never know :wink:

10. simonium

simonium Member

Where do you march?! My marches are normally about 100 yards! Even Whit Friday last year the longest we had to march was just long enough for a complete rendition of the piece. I don't envy you if your marches last that long.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Euphonium harnesses
    shoulder strap
    look ideal
    support
  12. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Don't be so ridiculous. You actually thought I meant that a march lasted hours on end?! *sigh* Whit Friday, you have do about 6,7 or 8 villages. Yes, some of the lengths of marching are not long at all. You then need to stand to play your contest march. By the end of the day it is understandable if you're a wee bit knackered. I wish people would stop being so judgemental about this subject. Some people are just not as strong as others, that's what it comes down to.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Sorry Aurora771, my fault for starting this. I was just having a laugh

Marching on long marches are tiring on any instrument you play. Taking the bass on and off all the time which I did on one of our jobs I find more knackering than actually carrying and playing the damm thing. We got rid of that job thank God!! Luckerly for us we have now we have got rid of all our marching jobs and just do carnival day. So it isn't as bad.

Good luck on your search!!!:tup

14. simonium

simonium Member

'Twas only a joke!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  15. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Sarcasm/playful mocking is sometimes difficult to interpret in forums... I did not detect this in your original statement. Just seemed like another tMP member being difficult to me. Which happens a lot on here... ****** smart arses I can't be bothered with them. I apologise for thinking you were.

My 'hours on end' statement related to the Whit Friday event itself not particularly the lengths of the marches.

Now... let's move on.

Original Poster: I hope someone with a euphonium harness can actually give you the information your looking for.

16. Di B

Di B Member

I find straps more trouble than they are worth.

I agree with the post that if you do practice standing up and have reasonable fitness levels there shouldn't really be an issue. In t'old days it was if you can't handle it, don't play it! A bit harsh yes, but there is an element of truth in it if you choose to march.

The only issue I can see is if you are teeny or tiny (I have allowed an 11 year old a euph strap!).
    Then, I think you will have a problem with any strap. They are made to hold the instrument to your body, but you still have to support it with your arms whatever strap you use - just ask bass players!

Can't advise on the product, but I would suggest getting an old strap and adapting it to you. This will probably have one of the best outcomes (it did for the 11 year old) and will save money.

Good luck :)

17. simonium

simonium Member

To be honest I wrote a splendidly sarcastic response, which the longer I left the worse it looked which is why I edited it to be something entirely different. Your apology is entirely unnecessary as I was being very silly!

18. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Have not marched with My Tuba since 2003 due to Back problems. I bought an Eb sousa off ebay. Best thing I ever Marched with. Mouthpeice stayed in just the right position the whole time. Wish I did that years ago. a bit off topic but I understand where a small person marching with a Euph is comming from.
    Use the harness. It's your Back Look after it. don't worry about what others may think. you only get one body.

19. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

How about spending the money you would spend on decent harness on a short term off-peak gym membership? You would get a bit stronger/fitter, and not have to bother with a strap which would only benefit you once or twice a year. Don't get hung up on your size - watch the light-weight women powerlifters at the olympics throwing 17st over their heads for inspiration!

20. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Is everyone completely disregarding my first post in this thread?! I do not have a problem with marching because I made myself fit enough to handle it. My others posts were simply sympathising with those who still struggle.

I think maybe your post should be directed at the Original Poster.

21. Tubby

Tubby Member

I would imagine you may need to try some straps to see which if any suit you best. I'm a big chap and cannot use a strap because the instruments Eb and Bb tuba's dig into my ribs.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Euphonium harnesses
    shoulder strap
    look ideal
    support