Euphonium Fingering Chart

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cshimmon, May 15, 2011.

1. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Does anyone know where I can find a reliable fingering chart for four valve compensating euphonium online? I can find lots in bass clef, but need treble clef. I'm just looking for a decent list of usages of the fourth valve as it's been sooo long since I've used one!

Thanks!

2. Blagger

Blagger Member

3. 007ish

007ish Member

This one is comprehensive

www.ulm.edu/~everett/brassclass/charts/euphtccompfingering.pdf

4. simonium

simonium Member

I'm not so sure about all being correct! Certainly in my admittedly limited experience Top D is not best played on 1st valve or Db on 1/2.

5. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Actually thats very helpful just because it's onlyon two pages!

Thanks all for your help!

6. Blagger

Blagger Member

I

True enough but these are the official ones IMHO

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Correct and official according to who...?

Some of the combinations listed on the lyricbrass chart seem a bit odd, and some of thre "theory" is just :eek:.
    Sorry!

I prefer the chart 007ish posted, its simpler to read and imho some of the alternatives are a bit more sensible.

As a matter of interest, do any of the manufacturers produce "official" charts for their instruments?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. pbirch

pbirch Member

I didn't see anything to quibble about in either of the documents described here, of course some alternatives work better than others, and some of the "weirder" combinations are useful to know for fast passagework to make fingering easier. I found a lot of these valve combinations just by playing about on my instrument, as I suspect most of us do, and find the most in tune ones for each ensemble we play in. for me, sometimes a note sounds better ringing through the compensating tubing with the 4th valve and sometimes it doesn't.

9. cshimmon

cshimmon Member

Thanks! That's pretty much my opinion, I just needed something to be able to refer to quickly as it's a long time since I've had a euph and I'm going between it and a three valve non-comp baritone almost constantly and I get easily confused! :)

10. simonium

simonium Member

Besson used to have a document with the original UK Prestige Euphonium advising where it might be best to use the trigger and I think that in the 1990s there may have been a fingering chart supplied with the 956 4 valve Baritones.

Do I remember Moomin detailing a similar list somewhere else on this site, but with the tendency of the alternatives to either flatness or sharpness?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    valve compensating euphonium
    chart
    Euphonium Fingering
    bass clef
    decent list of usages
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

13. MicahParsons

MicahParsons New Member

Does anyone have a Fingering Chart In Bass clef. I need to learn it but am having abit of Difficulty.

14. pbirch

pbirch Member

I did it by getting a copy of tune a day for euphonium in bass clef, it is cheap and it worked

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Of the two posted above, the one posted by blagger is more complete and more comprehensive because it includes both fake notes and fourth valve 'F' alternatives (such as 1+2+4 for the low b-natural) - however the one posted by 007ish is far easier to read and is definitely the one I'd give to a euph/tuba student were I teaching.

Dave, I have but one thing to say.... DAMN!!! :D

Nothing short of awesome - but a little less easy on the eye, don't you think? ;)