Euphonium Excercise Book

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by grim8634, Mar 7, 2009.

1. grim8634

grim8634 New Member

Can anyone recommend a good euphonium exercise book? I want something to help me improve my technical playing. Is Arban any good for a Euph, or anything else that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The Arban's fine.

3. fireborn

fireborn Member

Yeah, get the Arban.

4. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

The arban is good but i would give technical studies by H.L. Clarke a go

5. ratpit

ratpit Member

I like Arban too

6. grim8634

grim8634 New Member

Thanks all! Looks like Arban it is then!

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Arban

Clarke (get the complete, not just the technical studies - available from www.hickmanmusiceditions.com)

Euphonium Eurythmics by Alwyn Green - this is a specific euphonium book and addresses issues that the above books don't (such as the lower register and use of the 4th valve). I have used this with my advanced euphonium students and they have responded very well to the challenges it contains.

8. KMJ Recordings

Although with a bit of thought you can modify most things to take account of it's use...to an extent it depends on the budget available for buying stuff...if it's limited I tend(ed) to stick to the mainstream and alter the exercises to do what I wanted them to do (if they weren't covered already).

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'd go for the Alwyn Green, too. The Arban is good, but not specific to the Euphonium. Interestingly, the 4th valve register was a mystery to most players until relatively recently because most players were using cornet method books. Perhaps think about pushing the boat out and getting both? It's not as if they won't be useful every day for the rest of your playing career!

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I also use the Alwyn Green book for piccolo trumpet - those 4th valve exercises are nasty, lol

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euph
    Arban
    Euphonium Excercise Book
    good euphonium exercise book
  12. KMJ Recordings

:biggrin:

I never could get the hang of the little finger 4th valve thingies.....nasty....

13. fireborn

fireborn Member

14. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

There's also a series of books out there by Philip Sparke specifically for euph. Can't remember the exact name of all three but the last one is called 'super studies'.
    I find these are useful and simple for beginners to understand as they are very clear what each exercise is about.
    But also yes, get the Arban. Extremely useful, even if it it does give you back problems from lugging it around. Not that relevant to Brass Band playing, but you can also get the Arban in Bass Clef, which can be handy.

I also use the Alwyn Green, and 'How Brass Players Do It' is a classic for lip flexibility.