Euphonium advice needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pastit, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Pastit

Pastit Member

Looking for some advice for a friend who's is looking to purchase a euphonium for her 15 yr old daughter. They have a budget of up to £1500 pounds. She plays in a recently started 4th section band. Is it best to look out for a 2nd hand better quality model (assuming there are any on the market) or to look for a cheaper new one e.g. Jupiter, et al.
    Does anyone have any experience of the various makes of 'student' type models available?

All experiences and opinions welcome

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It might be best to contact one of the major retail companies such as Normans or Band Supplies who have experience supplying schools, students and bands alike. The teenager also may benefit from a VAT discount with one of the assisted purchase schemes available.

3. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I would suggest that they take advice from their music teacher and members of the band she plays in. But IMHO I'd say buy a good quality second hand instrument. Quality always pays, and it probably last her longer than a cheap student type instrument, and be nicer to play!

There is also the benefit that it will already have the odd little mark and scratch, so she wont be as upset if she makes a mark or scratch on it! There is nothing worse than that first blemish on a new instrument!

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Always, always go second-hand in situations like these. Your money will go far further if you spend it wisely.

5. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Exactly. Plus, if it's looked after, you'll more or less get your money back if you decide to sell it to fund something better in a few years time.

6. tubbythe tuba

tubbythe tuba New Member

I agree, I still have my first instrument which is a boosey amd hawkes imperial just in case I'm ever short. Good quality second hand insturments last a long time as long as they require a reasonable amount of TLC.

Paul Andrews at Brass Toff is also a good contact he sometimes gets second hand instruments in his no is 01925 658444.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I recently bought a New Silver Plated John Packer 4 Valve compensated model.

The Listed price for this is 681 (Lacquer version is cheaper).

For what it cost it plays really well. For a student I would say its a great Starter instrument as it is a 4V compensating Euph.

Having played a variety of 'interesting' Salvation Army instruments I can honestly say its better than many I have used. I would recommend them to any learner/student or even intermediate players on a Small Budget.

However be prepared for a wait if you do buy one (Unless its in stock), and treat any promised delivery date as indicative only. In my experience the Instrument is good, better than expected, but the QoS sub-standard, unless you get access to Senior people in the company!

8. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

We have an excellent Euphonium available.

Silver Plated, gold trimmings & fully compensating £1265.00 free UK delivery

Take a look!

Chris

9. mark_euph

mark_euph Member

On another note, is there anywhere you can purchase "gold trimmmings" for the slides and valve caps etc? Reasonably priced etc. For a Round Stamp Boosey Soverign Euph.

10. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi
    Probably the best place would be Mr Tuba, I think he can do this sort of work.
    http://www.mrtuba.com/

Cheers

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium advice
    Jupiter
    student
    hand better quality model
    experiences
  12. mark_euph

mark_euph Member

Many thanks Chris.

13. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Anyone on on here apart from P.S.Price tried the JP374 euph? Looking to get one and whilst I'm happy with the Rath/JP combo I got earlier in the year, that was £300 - compared to £700...

So would like some advice on it. I have a Besson Imperial Large bore from '85 and whilst I love it, the valves are a tad clunky now from the metal valve guides and also I want one for myself as I am using my dads.

Thank you

14. GordonH

GordonH Member

I played on one of those for many years (Imperial Besson largely based on the sovereign of the time but with a smaller bell - not the original Imperial). One sold on Ebay for about £400 recently. Was sorely tempted for old times sake.

Stephen Mead sells valve springs that might help the valve action:

http://www.euphoniumstore.net/store/product=333/

Might be worth a try.

15. adrian90s

adrian90s Member

Euphonium advice

Look for a Sovereign 968 on the auction sites, 1500 should get you something decent.
    I picked up a globe stamp 967 and it is an absolute bargain (view if possible), any change can buy some lessons.
    The 968 is the smaller bell sovereign and it is a little easier to blow and also tends to be less tiring if your lungs are still developing.
    Good point also, you should'nt lose money on it if it is in good condition (try and get a silver plated model, the gold colour shows it's age more readily).

Adrian (yorks. Imps)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. Pastit

Pastit Member

Delighted that we have managed to find a round stamp sovereign for my riends daughter. Thanks for everyone's advice

17. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

The springs are fine, its just that its 25 years old so the valves are slightly loose due to wear. I had wondered if the sovereign guides might fit (or something similar) I had replaced the metal guides early this year along with felts and springs and still a tad loose. Guess it's part of the fun.

Still would like one for myself though.

18. GaryFaulds

GaryFaulds New Member

I have just bought a sterling jp374 euphonium. Only had a few days but find it good so far. The only complain is you can see the joint on the bell on the lacquer model still experimenting with mouthpiece to see what's best. Using a Denis wick 4al heritage. Open to suggestions as looking to help with high register