Euph to cornet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by charger, Mar 5, 2009.

1. charger

charger New Member

I'm a long time euph player & have been asked to consider a move to solo cornet.

Having never played anything smaller than a baritone I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has made the switch successfully & what the pitfalls are (other than a lot of hard work!!) ie mouthpiece selection, exercises, etc.

I currently play a Sov 967 with an Alliance #2 mouthpiece.
  2. Ex_Horn

Ex_Horn New Member

I moved from tenor horn to cornet in August of last year having played horn to a reasonable standard for 20 years (I've always secretly fancied playing cornet).

At first I struggled with the upper register - I moved to a cornet DW2 mouthpiece and was able to retain a decent sound, however, anything above a G was just impossible - just not an option on solo cornet. I now play on a DW4 and it is great (for me) - very comfortable, I have an improved register and still with a decent sound.

With the help of a good teacher and a lot of practice I have greatly improved in all aspects.

When I was younger I swore by the Arban, however, my new teacher introduced me to the Allen Vizzutti trumpet method books which I love and has helped.

If you are intent on moving from Euph to cornet then apart from the obvious hard work, I would definitely get a teacher who can help you with mouthpiece selection, etc. You are never to old to have lessons!! (I'm 38 by the way).

Good luck
  3. its_jon

its_jon Member

I have an almost identical story....

Im also 38... Played the tenor horn from the age of 11 to the age of 21. Came back to brass 6 years ago but the band required cornets...having always fancied playing a cornet I gave it a go.

The technique required is very different and physically over the past 6 year I have noticed a new set of muscles develop... It is certainly a very different physical experience to the Horn.

again I was an Arban disciple .... but to get my face working right I was recommended the John Ridgedon "how brass players do it" book... Which is a book of lip flexability slurs and muscle building excercises... This helped LOTS

Recently I picked up a Tenor horn (when no-one was about) and had a go... I managed to push out a respectable 3 octaves !!.... However.. If I was playing a Horn again week after week I am sure that tight embrochure I have developed (and is neccesary for cornet) would soon slacken off again.

Wick 'B' cups will aid range at the expence of tone (usually - there are exceptions) and any wick moutpiece number not followed by a 'B' will be deeper. You will probably at first be more at home with something like a WD2 which is huge in cornet terms... however you are very likely to find range difficult.
    On my mouthpiece safari I finally ended up with a DW4 .... Although recently moved onto a David King Yamaha (on a 928) which is similar to a DW4
  4. Columbo

Columbo Member

Another Book Is The Cornet Method by Norman W D'ath, with Foreward by Frank Wright. I swore by it as a youngster and still use it when playing after a break. Its not easy but well worth it. Just reading the foreward improved my thought pattern also. Those that know me can make their own judgement!! LOL!!
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

The Charles Collins Lip Flexibilities always helped me on flugel. I've moved the opposite way though (flugel to bass trombone), so any advice I can offer is probably not going to apply to you, apart from the following:

When it gets tough and you want to throw the thing into the nearest dung heap, keep it up, you'll get there eventually.

Also, lessons have helped me greatly, making sure that I haven't picked up any bad habits etc. (Simple things like I was lipping notes into tune when using incorrect positions instead of putting the darned slide in the right place :p). Good luck with the change, I don't understand why anyone actually wants to play a cornet, but bands do need rather a lot of those people, so it's a good thing that they exist!
  6. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

As an Eb Bass player who has played Solo Horn, 2nd Cornet, 1st Baritone and Eb Bass at the areas for the last 4 years, I would agree that it will take a huge amount of work to get to the same level on cornet that you have achieved on Euph.

It is much easier moving to a bigger instrument from a smaller one (as long as you have the capacity to fill it) than the other way around .

This year sees me back on Solo Horn - jack of all trades and master of none. Wish me luck.