Euph slow melodies

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pocket euphonium90, May 6, 2006.

1. Hi! Does anyone know of any good slow melodies for euph? Im desperate to find some but i dont know which ones are any good!
  2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

My love is like a red, red rose - Ken Downie...
    Spirit of life - David Catherwood
    What kind of standard you looking at?
  3. el maestro

el maestro Member

The Holy Well?
  4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

The Holy Well - Peter Graham
    Little Red Bird - Goff Richards

Have played these pretty exstensivley before and they both fit well into any type of programme
  5. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

A Time for Peace (Graham)
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Do you mean with band accompaniment, piano accompaniment or something for, say, an unaccompanied solo contest?
  7. thanks for your suggestions, Id like solos with either band or piano accompianment, or both. im looking for sort of Grade 6+ solos but i don't really mind as long as they are nice to listen to and play! :D
  8. wkt

wkt Member

I suggest you try the Swan (Saint-Saens) or Pavane (Faure) or perhaps Benedictus (Jenkins).
  9. Di

Di Active Member

Song for Ina - Phiip Sparke - simply beautiful and highly recommended. :)
  10. KMJ Recordings

Taking 'slow melody' to mean things without fast bits ;) , there are the usual suspects - Softly as I Leave You, Catari Catari, Be My Love, Peace, Meditation from Thais (but you'll need a good top register), Watching the Wheat, Myfanwy (make sure you get the solo arrangement not the Band one - I think they're both by Denzil Stephens but could be wrong), Come Back to Sorrento (I like Roy Newsome's arrangement - not sure if it's published or not, he gave it to me when I played it)....

OK, I know my taste is a bit aged - I'm sure someone will come in with some more up to date suggestions :D

I've a felling that the middle movement of John Golland's euph Concerto No 1 used to be available as a standalone - that's a great piece, different as well. The rest of it's a bit tough.
    Last edited: May 6, 2006
  11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Erm...! Can think a quite a few, some have already been mentioned, but anyway i'll try and add to the list! (Slow melodies are my fave!)
    Pokarekare Ana, There Will Be God, Lark in the Clear Air arr.Catherwood (Euph version not the Tenor Horn one!), Midnight Euphonium (quite lyrical), O My Beloved Father, Carrickfergus, Aubade (Sparke), Estrellita, Flower Song from Carmen, Vocalise, Benedictus, Song for Ina... the list could go on, so many beautiful melodies that suit the Euphonium perfectly!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A Night In June (Karl King)
    Cantilena (John Golland)
    Serenade from Millions d'Arlequin (Riccardo Drigo arr. Wright)
    Nocturne Op.19 (Tchaikovsky arr. Thomas RĂ¼edi)
    Romance Op. 2 (Victor Ewald arr. D Reed)
    Serenata (Toselli arr. Pearce)
    Valse (Rafael Mendez)
    You Raise Me Up (Lovland,Graham, arr. Gates)

- to name a few!
  13. KMJ Recordings

I was going to say the Drigo, but thought it'd age me even more and couldn't spell it :D
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I can just see you with your LP collection with the likes of Moore, Cloughy, Groom and Baglin! :tongue:
  15. KMJ Recordings

Cloughy & Baglin, yes, Moore & Groom, er, less so ;)

I recorded it fairly recently as played by a baritone - works quite nicely as well.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you could have mentioned another good 'un from your era (..cough!)

... Pilatus {Mountain Air} (Goff Richards)
  17. KMJ Recordings

Oops, I forgot my Dad :eek:, and Graham McEvoy and Steve Lord and....

(a few more...some terrific players)
  18. KMJ Recordings

Hang on....I'm not that old!

Anyway, back on track - Stardust works quite well on a Euph, if you want something a little more jazzy.
  19. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you fancy something in the heroic mode, how about Wagner's "Walther's Prize Song" from "Die Meistersinger"?