Euph player wanted for The Planets (Huddersfield, 26.4.14)

Discussion in 'Deputies Wanted' started by Dan James, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Dan James

Dan James New Member

Hi, Huddersfield Philharmonic are performing The Planets on the above date and are urgently trying to secure the services of a strong Euph player. It really needs to be someone who's played the part several times before as it exposed and parts of it aren't easy. Rehearsal is Fri 25th 7:30 in Hudds Town Hall, no rehearsal Sat aft, fee available.

Dan James 07799 530753

2. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Don't you know, ALL Euphonium players are strong and used to playing difficult and exposed playing........comes with the job.

Just thought I'd mention it.......................:clap::clap:

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To be played without vib!

Would happily do it if weren't half a country away, have done it on a number of occasions, and it's a great part.

Edit: Actually I realise I'll be in Blackpool on that date, but I'll be otherwise engaged...

4. Bones

Bones Member

Worth pointing out, it would have to be a Euph player who can read bass clef also.... :)

5. agentorange

agentorange Member

Without vib.......?
    Bass clef......?
    Available Blackpool weekend.........?

Nope. Rules me out!

6. MoominDave

I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it's in my head that the Planets euph parts I've played off in the past have been in treble clef...

Confirmed here: http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks/usimg/0/06/IMSLP53304-PMLP33488-Holst-Planets.Tbn3Tuba.pdf (scroll down for euph part)
    Well, that's one barrier eased! But I'd hope that the orchestra have got it sorted out by now anyhow...

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

No, it's definitely in treble. One or two top C#'s and a D. Mars is the most exposed, but relatively easy to play, Jupiter has a bit of double-tonguing arpeggios to deal with. The last page of Uranus is quite hard, but it's covered on horns.

n.b. "Without vib" ??? Where did that one come from? Doesn't say anything on the part and I've always put on a bit of (tasteful) colouration. Sounds a bit duff without. Janacek, on the other hand...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. MoominDave

"Without vib" like RVW specified "Without vib" in Variations; i.e. don't just stick the wobble on like it's Eric Ball!

9. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

The no vib tradition that has crept in over the years in the Planets, I'm pretty certain is a snotty orchestral thing. Because the instruments of the clasical world dont use mega vib do they..... Its seems strange that a composer who wrote for brass band and therfore was perfectly aware of what a EUPH sounded like, would ask for a "Tenor Tuba" to do a major solo in style that he hadnt heard before and was foreign to the instrument.

10. MoominDave

Holst wrote The Planets in 1913. A Moorside Suite in 1928 - a lot later. And actually, big vibs in Moorside make it sound pretty corny.

In orchestras:
    Strings vib big, yes.
    Brass (and wind) - not nearly so much. Unless you're Eastern European. Or a lost brass bander who isn't interested in learning to blend in. Sure, a little on solo passages works, and there is quite a lot of exposed euph work in The Planets; but actually for me it sounds rather inappropriate with any more than the tiniest merest smidgeon on it. Not the right piece, and not the right composer.

Duncan, I can't quite work out if I'm disagreeing with you or not... Lets' have a chat about it at one of these myriad rehearsals we have this week!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Planets
    Huddersfield
    Euph
    Sat
    Huddersfield Philharmonic
  12. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I got hold of a copy of the tenor horn part for Mahler 7, which besides Evergreen and Goodbye to love is probably my favorite tenor horn solo. It would be great to do it with an orchestra (pro or amateur). Do any of you guys know if the tenor horn soloist stands at the front, or plays within the orchestra (presumably sat with the violas)?Apologies if it says on the part, but I think it's mostly German writing and I can't read it.

13. MoominDave

There's a nice solo for tenor horn by Benjamin Britten too which you might enjoy

14. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Not sure I've found the right one on spotify. Listened for about tvelve minutes and its just a singer with a load of violins. Is it like the Mahler where the th only plays in a couple of bits?

15. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Tee hee

16. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Try Beth Calderbank -- will PM her contact number

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think there might be an important comma missing somewhere! :D

18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

It seems the version with a singer is prevalent nowadays as I can't find the original anywhere. Surely Gordon Higginbotom or Sheona White must have recorded this? I'm not after a snide copy, and am happy to buy a cd if someone could point me in the right direction. I can understand the vocal version of goodbye to love being more well known, but it's tragic that the one major work for th in the repertoire is so seriously neglected.

19. Euphanasia

Euphanasia Member

A comma which has surely disappointed aspiring tenor horn players for many years....

Maybe they could just transpose it up a tone....