euph mouthpeices

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Nov 14, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi I teach this guy on euph and he plays the mouthpeice that came with the instrument which is a 4g I believe
    What do all you euph players use

cheers Shaz x;)
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

On my old Sov euph, Wick 4 (which I think is what it came with), was always fine for me. On my new(er) Yahama pro, I tried the Wick 4 but had some fairly serious control issues in the upper register, went to a Bach mouthpiece (can't remember the size) that I used by in school days and that sorted it.

I haven't played euph consistently in a couple of years, so I've not tried any of the newer mouthpiece models - there are a large number of choices out there.
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I'm using kelly plastic mouthpieces at the moment, but only because my 2 metal ones have vanished :confused: I normally use SM3 or SM4. Tried a few others but they didn't suit me. It's probably down to the player though.
  4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I have a few that I use depending on what type of work i'm doing, at the mo I'm playing on my JK5, its an all round type of mouthpiece good for upper register work but deep enough to go right down to the nether regions of the instrument. It also gives a good solid tone.

The trusty DW4 is a solid mouthpiece to use as it does everything you need from a mouthpiece and is probably one of the best you can use.

Also just got a Bach mouthpiece that I haven't really tried out but i've found it good for upper register work, although it gives me a bit of an orchestral/bass trom sound.

Dunno if this is any help but the JK and DW are the ones I use the most, I would suggest a DW4 though as its tried and tested.
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Common: DW4 ... you can't really go wrong with it and most players find it suits them fine. Or you could try the SM4, slightly more pricey and not a lot better for it, but still ... does the job.

The problem you may find with Bach mouthpieces is the shallow cup, but I've seen some crackin players with these mouthpieces so it obviously does them no problem.
  6. euphonium1214

euphonium1214 Member

I use an SM4 - I like it cos it feels really smooth on your lip, but that might just be cos it's only a few weeks old... but yeah, I've found nothing wrong with it xx
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I have two opinions of mouthpieces, for those that want to hear! Players should really just stick with whatever suits them best. A good rule of thumb is always the most straight forward one: If you can play high, low, loud and soft with a nice sound, then stick with it! Of course, it takes a while to find the right one!

My advice would be to look a bit further than the obvious choice of an SM4. I find them to be a bit too deep and give a rather wooly sound. Before the SMs came out, most players used the Trombone equivalent 4AL or 5AL and found them to be fine. If you want a rounder rim, there's the Vincent Bach 4G and 5G, or a different cup shape with the Schilke 51D or 52.

As a pro trombonist who also plays orchestral euphonium, I find that the Wick 5AL is the best all-rounder, giving a slightly brighter sound than in a traditional brass band - only a thought, mind!

It is also worth noting that mouthpieces have change quite a lot. A Wick 4AL bought today will be different from the one bought 15 years ago because of wear and tear on the machinery. Bachs differ even more.

By the way this is my first ever post on tMP!

Kind regards to everyone,
    Duncan Wilson
  8. zak

zak Member

Try a few different ones out and see what works.The choice of mouthpiece is an individual thing,what works for one very much of the time does not suit someone else.I have played on various different mouthpieces but find my current one, the JK plexiglass mouthpiece the most comfortable I have had.

Try a few different ones out is my advice.

9. helen_euph

helen_euph Member

Well said zak!!! ;) Surely mouthpieces are an individual thing and it all depends on the size and shape of your mouth :confused:

Just for the record though... i play on a Denis Wick 4AL!
  10. ignore me

ignore me Member

hey folks

Quite an interesting thread since i'm about to start with a new band meaning new instrument and mouthpiece!

I used to play with an SM4 and before that a 4AL, which are basically the same size. I found the SM to be kinder on the lips for some reason and really improved my lower register. I would definetly recommend one.

But, i'm thinking about investing in a SM3.5 just because i've heard good things about them (or a kelly because they look cool). Anyone recommend one?
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

12. Bones

Bones Member

Give me a bell Sharon, I've got a bag of large bore mouthpieces you can try.

13. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

14. NeilW

NeilW Member

For my 2p...

I actually play on a DW 2AL on my Sov. A 4A(M) on my older euph - not that I use it that often nowadays....

15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Duncan knows!!!!!!!!!!!! Anywhere around the Bach 4/5G and Wick 3/4/5 is standard and its down to preference of sound and comfort. I am on a Schilke 51D at the minute which is working out pretty well. Deeper cup gives better articulation I find but have used the Bach 4g and Wick 4AL. Try them all and see which one suits :D
  16. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ive got a... summat with a 6 in. its all gold looking. had my first ever brass lesson today on a euphonium, and my teacher said that normally something like a 4 is what most people use. but that mouthpiece will do me fine for now. :)
  17. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I use sm3.5 on my sovereign euph, not sure about it, haven't really tried a great deal of mouthpieces, but am going to invest in a Kelly's for the carolling season. Wonder if anyone can tell me what the best mouthpiece is for high register clarity, and articulation?
  18. BrassyEuph

BrassyEuph New Member

Euph Mouthpieces

Most top Euph players I know use the Denis Wick 4AL as I have done for the past 45 years and am still playing with a Championship Band on Solo Euph. using an Antoine Cortois 167IIR Euph.( If it's good enough for Glyn Williams it's good enough for me) but, in all honesty it is really what the person feels comfortable with.
    I have tried others as they came on the market but my 4AL is the best for me. Try it you'll like it.

Dave Mildren
    Solo Euphonium
    Ipswich & Norwich Co-op Band
  19. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Okay, going slightly off topic, which mouthpiece size, out of the 5G and the 1.5G is the same as the SM3.5? Thanks!