Euph advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Dec 3, 2004.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I am hoping to buy a euphonium tomorrow, and am thinking of getting a Besson Prestige. Does anyone have any experience of these, are they any good? Also, do they come with room to put a lyre, or does a box have to be fitted? Can anyone recommend a good make of gig bags too??

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

There's been other threads on this... with various instruments, including Euph....

and each I say the same thing.... Get one that is suited to YOU... what suits someone else may not appeal to you one little bit. So the best thing to do is to go to a music store and try them all out for yaself and choose the one YOU like...

Have fun

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Naruco's correct with her answer! Okay, the Prestige is the top of the Besson range, and you may have your reasons for buying it ... but have you blown any alternative brands? Willson euphs have now a big pull in the UK and I think, bought now by the armed forces. The Courtois and Yamaha models may be worth exploring too! What are your reasons for wanting the Prestige?

5. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

played a prestige for several months and found it very stuffy to play and difficult to centre notes. I now play a Yamaha Custom and prefer it to any other Euph. They don't come with a lyre box nor a first valve water key. The sound and tuning are consistant throughout the range.

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying the prestige after all, mainly because it was incredibly easy to play, especially the higher notes, which is what i tend to struggle with most. Tried out a few other models including yamaha maestro and besson international, but the prestige was the only one I could find that was better than my current euphonium, a besson sovreign.
    If there is a downside to it, it's definately the weight, I'm 15, so obviously don't have my own transport, and have to swap hands at least every other minute. Mainly due to the weight of the case rather than the instrument, and I was considering a gig bag, but for an instrument so expensive I didn't want to risk it. It came with two mouthpieces, but I couldn't resist a glow in the dark mouthpiece! Works quite well actually...

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Congrats on your new purchase! ;)
    I got my Prestige at the age of 16 and found it way too heavy to carry around, so don't feel as if your weak! Try to practice standing up with it as it will allow you to adjust to it's weight more rather than sitting down, and you'll be fine in no time! ;) As for the case, it's worth carrying around in the hard case, as it'll protect it better and it looks snazzy ;)
    If you get a gig bag, then DON'T get one with little protection as your Euph'll get dented as i've found out... :-(

8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Aye good purchase, although personally I've never tried a Prestige but they generally are rated highly. I've always been happy with my Sovereign (albeit with a softspot for the Maestro!).

9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I have a prestige and i love it! no liar holder im afraid-but i use that as an excuse to get out of marching with it!

very nice instrument tho! :)

10. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

wow a prestige :D they are fun to play but the tuning tends to be poor and i think you have to have big hands to use the trigger and fourth valve. i bought my besson 967 around the time you got your prestige so have tried both, went for the cheaper one :rolleyes: also my conductor warned me, because you put more air through, tend to get tired quicker at first. and John North told me they dont blend as well in band.... so, there are loads of arguments either way. yey for you though, getting a euph!
    xx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    advice
    Euph
    euphonium
    anyone
    make
  12. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

John North from the music cellar? That's who sold me it!

13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

he sold me mine too. got to make a living hasn't he ;)