Eugene Watts retires from Canadian Brass

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Jun 24, 2010.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I noticed the following on BrassLink and cut and pasted it here:

"Gene Watts, trombone with the world famous Canadian Brass and co-founder of the group, has resigned from The Brass as it is known, after forty memorable years.

His replacement is Keith Dydra. Grand prize winner of the 2008 Orchestre Symphonique du Montreal’s Standard Life competition, Canadian trombonist Keith Dyrda has become a musician of note on the Canadian music scene. Keith has performed as a soloist with the McGill Symphony Orchestra, the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, the Orchestre Symphonique du Montreal, the University of Manitoba Orchestra, and the Winnipeg Wind Ensemble.

He recorded a CD of Brass Quintet repertoire with former members of the Canadian Brass Jens Lindemann and Ryan Anthony, hornist Martin Hackleman, tuba soloist Patrick Sheridan, and New York City jazz legend Wycliffe Gordon".

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Canadian Brass
    Keith Dyrda
    Wycliffe Gordon
    Patrick Sheridan
    Canadian
  3. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

And then there was one. It seems only yesterday that, as a young(ish) lad, I sat enthralled, listening to the original line-up playing the Queen Elizabeth Hall - in reality, it was just over 29 years ago, on 2nd June 1981. I know this because I still have the programme.

Farewell, good and faithful servant - we shall never forget the Saint's Hallelujah!

4. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

ah the ledge that is Gene Watts - enjoy your retirement Sir !!!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Mods...doesn't this belong in recruitment corner?
    :p

6. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

The position was advertised and Keith Dydra won the job through an audition process...