Errata sheet for Comedy Overture?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jimmythesaint, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Has anyone found problems in any of the parts? We're findingthat not all of the individual parts correspond with the score and with other parts around the band?
    Is anyone else having problems with this and is there a known errata sheet?
    Look forward to your responses.
    Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I brought this up with a member of the Test Piece Selection panel 2 weeks ago, so the problem has been raised with them.

Slightly difficult one though, as John Ireland is unavailable at present!
  3. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

Great Andy, could you keep us posted of any respons?
    Also if anyone finds any errors so could post them up here so that we can all check them out!
    We should moan though as it's only been about about since 1934 and that isn't any time to eradicate any problemos!
  4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Unfortunately, that's what will stop them doing one if anything does I would think.

The fact that it has been used, performed and recorded so many times without anyone asking for an errata may stop them investing time and money, in such a short space of time, in producing one.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, only a few weks ago I picked up an error in the BBb* bass part of Eric Balls "King of Kings" (triplet mark missing) :shock:
    Edit: Sorry, EEb bass part, bar before"I" :shock:

Must have been played hundreds of times, and either nobody had spotted it or they'd just gone along with what everyone else was playing, whereas for me, sight-reading it, I read it as written, & wondered why it was adrift :D
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  6. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I know somewhere (thinks its around '24') that the Bass Trombone has 5 bars rest written, but they aren't! Ignore it.

Ask Timbloke, he'll know for sure.
  7. Owen S

Owen S Member

In the 2nd cornet part, there is a crotchet rest missing somewhere on the bottom line of the first page. We spotted it because we had too few notes in the bar. Much like many of the errors, I seem to remember this can be solved by comparison to the score.

We have found quite a few other errors, I'm sure. That said, by far the most common error seems to be consistency of crescendos and diminuendos, both in their presence or absence, and in the positioning of their starts and ends.
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Occasions like this are the banding equivalent of Groundhog Day........ you wake up, it's major contest rehearsal time again and....yup, discrepanices between score and parts!
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Number 4 is in the wrong place on the Eb bass part - it's a bar early
  10. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

hate it when this happens,
    With a contest like the area, the publishers release a new score and set of parts for the bands and make a fortune. However it always seem that whoever checks the score and parts before publishing it always seem to have his eyes closed.
    Remember all the errors in Coventry last year!

from what we have noticed, there is loads of discrepencies in the dynamics on the parts being different to those on the score
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Having spoken to the publishers specifically on this point, it seems there is no "new version" of "Comedy" as such. All they have done is to scan the original engraved score and parts (making no attempt to edit in any way - there is no real way of doing this without re-originating the score from scratch using Finale/Sibelius/whatever) and created new laser-printed sets, which are scaled to fit A4/A3 paper size. This, along with the fact that they are printing on nice clean white paper as opposed to buff "Octavo" (or whatever) size, seems to have misled some people into thinking they were buying a "new version". Consequently, there is no issue of proof-reading, unless you want to criticise the original proofing in 1934, that is.

12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Know any other jokes? ;)
  13. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

14. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

We found a howler yesterday... Cant remeber where it is though!
    Its about half way through, The front row cornets have an F#, but every one else has an F or C natural, it should be Sharp.

I'll let you know for definate, when I know. (Sop is resting, so not sure!)
  15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I think that the rain forests in Brazil would be totally decimated if they were to produce an errata sheet(s) on Comedy Overture. In the BBb bass part this is what I have found so far

Bar 1 given Dynamic on part mp, in score mf.
    Bar 6 Bottom G should be a quaver not a crotchet
    Bar before 1 decrescendo missing
    At Figure 1 C and Cb should be staccato
    Bar before figure 4 second quaver should be a Cb
    9th Bar of figure 5 D crotchet should be an F
    3rd Bar of figure 8 crescendo missing
    Bar before figure 20 is one only and it would appear that this is the case for the remainder of the piece WTF? tutti in the EEb part marked at 22
    2 bars before 24 the bottom D should not be marked staccato, it is a speck of dirt on the template LOL

Will check back after we have gone through it completely
  16. timbloke

timbloke Member

Its' the last note two bars before 30.

Loads of missing dynamics in the solo tromb part.

either 35 or 34 in the wrong place on 2nd cornet, 27 in the wrong place on 3rd cornet.

it is amazingly frustrating when you get shouted at for not playing the right dynamics, when you are playing the right dynamics.
  17. Tim do you mean 24 on the 3rd cornet part is in the wrong place, or do i have to add more pencil to my part?
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

This one's for LBB...

I say, I say, I say....

What's the secret of good Comedy?
  19. Owen S

Owen S Member

To make it clear:

2nd cornet: 34 should be a bar earlier than written
    3rd cornet: 27 should be a bar earlier than written

There are several other problems like this around the band
  20. Laserbeam bass