Ernie Appleyard

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by mikelyons, Feb 13, 2007.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I learned last night of the sad death of Ernie Appleyard. Ernie was the conductor of Eagley Mills band when I joined them in the early 70s. He was an inspiration to me when I started playing and taught me everything I needed to know about being a bandsman.

He will be greatly missed.
  2. Heather

Heather Member

Oh, that's really sad news.
    I too played for Eagley, as did my husband John.
    I've many memories of him also, especially when he came round with the Band carolling at Christmas!! He was hilarious.
    Thanks for some lovely memories Ernie.
    You'll be sadly missed.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Was this the Ernie who used to come along to watch Hoover (Bolton) Band rehearsals for years? He had a few fingers missing on one hand.
  4. Frontman

Frontman Member

Ernie Appleyard.

For the past 15 years Ernie and John Denton attended as many rehearsals as possible at the Bolton Hoover Band. Always making comments which due to both of them being a bit deaf was basically very loud, so when they critisised, the person concerned knew exactly who it was they were talking about. Players and Conductors alike, they didn't care. I have seen people almost in tears as a result. (Must admit like me they where proberbly tears of laughter. They where more like the two old gentlemen in the Muppet Show).
    I had the pleasure of attended rehearsals with them on several occasions at Back oth Bank Bowling Club, and enjoyed every minute of their company.

For two life long friends to pass away within two days of each other is very sad and I suffer the loss along with the Bolton Hoover band ,The Eagley Band and the whole of the movement. These were Two gentlemen who could never be replaced.
  5. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

They were 2 gents & like Dave said, just like the 2 guys in the balcony in the Muppets. Ernie was the only conductor I've met who had a vibrato & the tales those 2 would tell you were amazing. They gave credit where credit was due, some obvious critisizm & some marvelous singing along to hymns & test pieces during rehearsals. Often to the annoyance of the resident MD. Very entertaining.

I'm sure that Ernie Appleyard & John Denton are sat in their own balcony in heaven passing on their knowledge in their usual manner. They will both be sadly missed.
  6. helen_euph

helen_euph Member

I'm sure they will be Karen!

Aidan - I think it was actually John who had lost several fingers, but it was those two who went to Hoover Bolton rehearsals all those years ago you're right.

Hope there is a band up there in heaven for them to listen to (or talk about!). RIP John and Ernie.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Haha yes, altho the singing was slightly worse than marley and marley!
    Sad loss to everyone who knew them.
    They actually kept me in the game when I was thinking about quitting as a nipper. "You've gota greeaat sound lad don let it go to waaaste" (took about 15minutes to say that tho :D )
    Hope theyre both still smiling whichever bandroom in the sky they ended up at.
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It is a very small world when two men such as this touch so many lives.

Waldorf and Stadtler are the names some of you are looking for :)

I remember John Denton being a friend to young banders at Thornleigh as well when Jock McGovern still taught there. I'm very proud and priviledged to have known both of them.
  9. Little Shep

Little Shep New Member

I happened upon this news quite by accident but it subsequently caused many fond memories to come flooding back of Christmas morning with Ernie rattling the tins to wake up every living being in Astley Bridge and offer them warmth and charm in abundance. I still play on the mouthpiece he recommended back in 1983(ish). Fondly remembered!......and Mike, whenever I put Eagley into Google why is it your name always comes up first?? Lee (Little Shep) Baines