Eric Crees - Symphonic Suite from West Side Story

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kjata, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Kjata

Kjata Member

Hey all,

Can anyone advise me if there are any recordings of this? I have a feeling that Grimethorpe has recorded it but can't find it anywhere?!

Cheers in advance,

Paul

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story
    anyone
    Eric Crees - Symphonic Suite
    feeling
    recordings
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Don't know about Grimethorpe but Dyke has excerpts on Essential Dyke Vol.3 and Stavanger played it on the DVD of the 2004 British Open.

Hope that helps.

4. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Kjata

Kjata Member

Is this the full version (about 10/12 minutes long)? 4br don't give timings?

Cheers

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

LSO Brass cd called 'America', recorded about 20 years ago.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I don't know if this is the same album as the one mentioned above, but it was also included on a recording by Desford Colliery Band and Howard Snell called 'Showcase', which was definitely released on cassette tape at least, but copies of it seem hard to come by, if Ebay is anything to go by. The tape also had Snell's arrangements of Rossini's Two Cats, Bach's Air from the Suite in D and the Polovtsian Dances, amongst others.

Apart from that, if you want the original version for orchestral brass, you can find it on the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble's album of music by Bernstein and Weill, and the same recording is available on the PJBE compilation album 'The Lighter Side'.

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Further to my comment above, I have just dug out the tape and no, it isn't the same recording! 'Showcase' dates from 1987 and it is Snell, not Crees, conducting.

The tape is an EMI Music for Pleasure recording, number TC-MFP 5782. Good hunting!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Links to two recordings:

Desford Live - cond Howard Snell:
    http://ukcd.net/details.asp?ref=1375

British Open 2004 (dvd): Stavanger:
    http://ukcd.net/details.asp?ref=1382
    (not sure whether this is the full suite - will check when I get a chance)

There were also extracts recorded by Black Dyke from the Open gala concert in 1996 - Egon recording no longer available, but may crop up on e-bay from time to time.

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story
    anyone
    Eric Crees - Symphonic Suite
    feeling
    recordings
  13. jonford

jonford Member

There is a live version of Black Dyke playing it at the Great Northern Arts Festival in 2001. CD is now only £4.99

http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/21998.html

The British Open DVD is the full suite and is quite impressive as they perform the whole thing without music and with choreography!

14. jonford

jonford Member

Ran out of time to edit my post!:

Grimethorpe have recorded it on 'Grimethorpe In Concert IV' to be released in September?

The version Freck bought also seems to be a new version which includes Cool rather than America. Is it America that there are copyright issues with? New versions is not as good in my opinion.

15. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Grimethorpe in Concert IV will be released before September. ;-)

16. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Also recorded on Desford Live in Canada, conducted by James Watson (1990 I think).

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... this recording is still my benchmark for performance. Outstanding CD, an all time classic.