Eric Ball- DVD

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by Seedhouse, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I've had this since March, but since now have forgotten to post about it.
    Has anyone else got it?
    I think it's a brilliant DVD, that has been really well put together, and allows me to keep many memories of the concert night.
    Btw, for those who were there, when the lightbulb exploded in Resurgam-they've somehow managed to remove it from the recording! :?
    Well done again to SP&S for another brill DVD.
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

ooooooooo very well done!
  3. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Yep, it's amazing, but maybe the microphone's didn't pick it up? I know it was loud, but as the mic's were on the band...just a thought.
    And what can be said about Clear Skies? Just shows that David Daws is the best around today! Though he doesn't do the last phrase in one breath like he does on the CD it was first done for (ISB - Partita). However, that's just one thing, and for what he did in the concert I won't hold it against him!!!!
  4. Active Member

Thanks for your positive comments. We were very pleased with the end result and sales have been astonishing.
    As far as the exploding light bulb is concerned, it certainly WAS picked up by the microphones! Not sure how they managed to edit the soundtrack but the pictures were easy; just use an audience shot from a different part of the concert!
    Those of you who were at the concert may be interested to know why some of the tributes were pre-recorded and then replayed on the big screen. This was to ensure that the concert ran to time as it was felt that some of those giving tributes might have gone over their alloted time.

We're currently working on a DVD with the Coldstream Guards Band and, of course, our cameras will be in Glasgow for the Europeans from Thursday.
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I've only just been able to see the concert after receiving the NTSC version of the DVD (for N. America). I much enjoyed it and think all concerned deserve praise. My initial reservation concerns the actual sound reproduction of the concert (not the interviews). It's rather distant in comparison to the closeness of visuals and I found myself straining to hear some soloists in band pieces (particularly principal cornet). B+H are credited with the sound and their CDs are usually of high quality. In this, admittedly live, medium I thought there was some lack of impact. I wondered if anyone else thinks so?
  6. Yes i agree although I don't really care. David Thornton's solos were hard to pick up, however when you don't have the luxury of hanging mic's all around, alot of the imediate intensity can go out the window...

That said, there is still nothing quite like the impact that the final section of KT delivers!!