Eric Ball ;Best Start & Best Finish To A Test Piece

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

What do you think as got to be the best start &best finish to a Eric Ball test piece.
    For me it as to be
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

For middle bits, there is a bit just left of centre in Festival music thats rather nice.

3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Resurgam for both start and finish.
  4. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I agree - nothing else comes close in my opinion.
  5. Blagger

Blagger Member

After spending a sleepless night wondering - for me its the top left hand corner - the perfect start. Not decided on the end yet ;):rolleyes:
  6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I like all the above, but I think "Journey" has a great start and a magnificent finish.

He's written some excellent stuff as we know ( Didn't like "The Undaunted"), but I always thought "Tournament for Brass" was a bit of a conundrum.
    A great piece with some lovely sounds, but the ending sounds to me like a really contrived after thought, not worthy of the rest of the piece.
    Perhaps he had a rare attack of "Composers Block" !!

- Wilkie
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm not such an expert in Eric ball pieces, but I like the beginning of Journey into Freedom and the (quiet) ending of Sunset Rhapsody
  8. leisa

leisa Active Member

oooo yes, me too!!

Really though???
  9. eanto

eanto Member

Jan, I think you're taking this post far too seriously :)
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I reckon the best place to end is about 3/4 of the way through before all the black stuff starts...

As for his actual best starts and finishes:

Start: Journey Into Freedom
    End: Resurgum (but its a ****** to pull off properly)

At the risk of turning this into a serious discussion about brass band pieces ;)...and just to throw a couple of other composers efforts into the fire:

Best starts:
    Vinter - Variations on a Ninth
    Sparke - Harmony Music
    Sparke - London Overture
    McCabe - Cloudcatcher Fells
    Wilby - Pagannini Variations
    De Meij - Extreme Makeover

Best ends (isn't that a cut of meat Ian? ;))
    Sparke - Tallis Variations
    Bourgeois - Blitz

Err struggling to think of peices that don't finish with a great big ff major chord...
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's not a question that can be answered without taking the context of any Eric Ball work into consideration. Each has it's own merits and for their own reasons ... High Peak, Song Of Courage, A Kensington Concerto, Free Fantasia, Exodus, The Eternal Presence etc. etc. ... I don't have any particular favourite.
  12. floppymute

floppymute Member

For openings I have to agree with 'Resurgam' - one of the most haunting and best loved melodies in the repertoire. Close 2nd though has to be the opening of 'Morning Rhapsody'
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yes my friend you are right on that:clap:
    Now as you know a bit about meat how are you fixed to coming to help us out till Xmas eve with doing a bit of butchery;)
  14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I'm sure Mr Hayto will be the first to admit he will be butchering music from now right through xmas eve and into next year! ;)
  15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Ian, you heard me play at Leamington then? :roll:

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Sidestepping eric ball for the moment, a candidate for worst ending has to be 'Montage.'

It's a shame because it's one of my favourite pieces with some brilliant writing, but it's always seemed a bit of a random way of finishing the piece to me. Every non-bander I've ever played it to has always said something to the effect of "Eh? Was that the end?" afterwards.

Certainly agree on Tallis as a candidate for best ending. As you say, delightful to play a piece that doesn't finish on a big C major with a bang on a bass drum.

Love the opening to Harmony Music. Very atmospheric. Contest Music's got a good opening to it too in a more 'no messing' kind of way.
  17. RussQ

RussQ Member

Resurgam, no contest! Don't hear too many good ones though. Dykes version on Rhapsody in Brass (circa '92?), superbly directed by James Watson, takes some beating.